Whats it take to beat an SS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats it take to beat an SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So here is the deal, i have a 05 WRX, manual, stock for the moment. There is a 2000 red ...

Whats it take to beat an SS

So here is the deal, i have a 05 WRX, manual, stock for the moment. There is a 2000 red SS that can hit 13.67 @ 109.12 on a 2.23 60ft. Obviosuly with a trap speed like that he can hit a low 13 w/ traction possibly high 12.999999 w/ good air: whoa: . i need to know what it takes to beat his SS. What parts are needed, and how much they cost.

im sorry this is such a newbie question... but pleae look past that.

Steven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well a cobb stage 2 could probably get you in the mid 13's with a good launch, but to see 12's your probably going to need a bigger turbo and the stuff that comes with that.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

can you give me the link to cobb stage 2 provider so i can see what it consists of?

btw how much boost am i running stock?

also, how much boost can the stock turbo handle?

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Your running around 13.5 PSI.

For what your turbo can handle im not sure but around 20-25 max.

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline
    Your running around 13.5 PSI.

For what your turbo can handle im not sure but around 20-25 max.

are you trying to destroy his motor?????

16 psi max on the stock turbo and fuel system. Plus if you dont have engine management with the extra boost your going to have problems esp with an 05.

you need an uppipe/downpipe. cat back. new injectors/fual pump and at least a vf34 turbo plus a tuning to beat him, if he runs slicks. If your goign to buy all this just to beat some guy with an SS, then i feel bad for you.

damn can you give me the link to a sponsor so i can see prices?

SS's are very fast on the highend, im protuned with a vf34 and tmic and got smoked by a cammed' z28 on the highway. Your gonna need more than vf34 on a highway run. On a side note if your gonna run from a stop a vf34 wrx will destory the z28, he wont be able to catch up till higher speeds your gonna be looking around $3000

engine:
    --vf34
    --pinks
    --fuelpump
    =$1200

EM:
    --cobb ap
    --protune (recommended) add extra 200$ per hr. most shops..
    =$600

oh yeah, also need a turboback (dp/up/exhaust) $1000

other stuff is like oils/fluids and other stuff..
    Last edited by TigsteRz; 08-26-2006 at 03:48 AM.

id recommended worldone and gruppe-s =)

Transmission and Engine

Yo

You can push your engine to the max but what ya need, espeacially with a larger turbo is a Nice Light, but strong flywheel and clutch. The lighter flywheel will allow the engine to increase its rpms faster and inturn allow the turbo to spool up sooner which increases HP delivery sooner and take time of you quarter mile. But becareful. The lighter flywheel does offset the inertia load onto the gears and causes a slight banging or metal scraping metal sound. A heavier(stock) flywheel prevents this. Although this sound is ok and the gears are just reacting to the lack of slow decrease in inertia from the lighter flywheel. Make sure that you dont pick a too light flywheel. If the flywheel is too light, chances are it wont last long, it may wear your engine more, and it maybe so light that it will be easier to strip gears. The SPT flywheel works the best. I have a VF34, before I replaced the 23 lb OEM flywheel, My turbo spooled a 4000 RPM and it took up the High 4 second to hit 0-60. With the replaced flywheel, it reduces my time to where 0-60 went into the mid to low 4 seconds(depending on my horrible shifting). I recommend replacing the clutch since your pulling down the tranny anyway, although stock clutch is fine up to 340 whp.

If you want really power, save your money and get a COBB TUNER SERIES - Stage 2 (2.5L) short block. You will gain bottom end tourque, which you will need for launches and the VF34 turbo with Fuel Rails, injectors, boost controller, FRONT MOUNT Intercooler, (top mount need water injection for real cooling). Air Intake kit, UPpipe and Down Pipe. Exhaust is Optional Although you can gain 5 HP from it, and get the Flywheel and Clutch done, However none of the parts matter unless they are tuned to your engine. Find a EcuTek tunner near you. They can use you stock(but Advanced ECU to get as much power you can get out of your car either stock or with bolt ons. with all this with out the 2.5 block and Water injection, and front mount intercooler(but instead of OEM an STI or aftermarket top mount) you should get close to 300whp at 20psi(thats the max you can use before you smell something from your engine=(.

The Block may cost 3800 depending on labor parts
    Turbo 2500 to 3000 depending on labor and parts
    Tranny 1500 to 2000 depending on labor and parts
    Air intake can be done for 200 to 500 depending on labor and parts
    Last edited by subant05; 08-26-2006 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigsteRz
    SS's are very fast on the highend, im protuned with a vf34 and tmic and got smoked by a cammed' z28 on the highway. Your gonna need more than vf34 on a highway run. On a side note if your gonna run from a stop a vf34 wrx will destory the z28, he wont be able to catch up till higher speeds your gonna be looking around $3000

engine:
    --vf34
    --pinks
    --fuelpump
    =$1200

EM:
    --cobb ap
    --protune (recommended) add extra 200$ per hr. most shops..
    =$600

oh yeah, also need a turboback (dp/up/exhaust) $1000

other stuff is like oils/fluids and other stuff..
    even with sticky tires for the ss? if he can cut a 1.9 60 ft on his stock stall, what can i cut on my 60ft times?

as for a dig i see, what if it is a low roll say 15 mph? or am i still at a disadvantage since i am not launching from a stand still?

If you don't want to go past stage 2 the only chance you have is a 0-90 race if he spins the tires alot. The Comaro SS is a very fast car stock. You would need to upgrade turbos past a VF34 if you wanted to stand a chance from a roll. A few Vf34s have pulled some very good times but most do not trap over 104-105 in 1/4 and he is already trapping 109. But with AWD if you are trapping 104-105 you should pull some mid to high 12s which from what you said would beat him at the track but if he hooks and runs DRs he will run low to mid 12s I would think.

no his car isnt that fast, low to mid 12s he would deffinatly need a converter like a 3600 stall or something... and im sure he doesnt so they most that car has in it is low 13s/12.99999999999999.

anways about the queston from the 15 roll, i should still be at a disadvantage since i cant launch from a stand still?
    Just an 05 wrx for now...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXracer24
    i need to know what it takes to beat his SS.
    A Z06.

J/K.
    N/A -- 11.9@119 1.911 60' w/street radials
    N2O -- 11.3@126 1.820 60' w/street radials

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans

are you trying to destroy his motor?????

16 psi max on the stock turbo and fuel system. Plus if you dont have engine management with the extra boost your going to have problems esp with an 05.

you need an uppipe/downpipe. cat back. new injectors/fual pump and at least a vf34 turbo plus a tuning to beat him, if he runs slicks. If your goign to buy all this just to beat some guy with an SS, then i feel bad for you.
    I said the turbo fool not his engine setup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.