Stage 2 06 vs. Cobalt SS Highway pulls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 06 vs. Cobalt SS Highway pulls within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm cruising on the highway, and I see a red cobalt SS. It says supercharged, has the big wing...etc. So ...

Stage 2 06 vs. Cobalt SS Highway pulls

I'm cruising on the highway, and I see a red cobalt SS. It says supercharged, has the big wing...etc.

So I get next to him and downshift into fourth. I just wanted a bit more exhaust note, and was expecting the honks. We're doin about 70.

So he just drops into whatever gear and starts flooring it. He jumps about 3 cars ahead of me with that instant supercharger power. I had dropped into third, and I start reeling him in. Around 115 I'm passing him pretty quickly, but we had to shut down.

So we wait until the next straightaway, get next to each other, drop our gears and go. Again he jumps, but only a little bit. I take him, and by 120 or so I'm past him by about 3 cars. These 2 first races are a bit foggy, because of the next one.

So I'm cruisin about 80mph now. He's a few cars back, and I see his nose lift. He's definitely coming with a running start. I drop to fourth as he approaches and start going. He gets a nose out in front... then I start powering past him. Fifth gear comes quickly. I know fifth is insane... not sure why. I watched the needle rocket towards 140, with every passing second I pulled further and further away. I had put a buslength or maybe a buslength and a half on him. Maybe more, I don't really remember. I just know it was a slaughter once we dipped into the double digits.

I shut down around 140, maybe 145. I dunno, I was paying most attention to the road. That and the WRX speedo gets kinda hard to read once you get past the written digits.

My take is that it was lighter than my car, and the WRX has kind of a crappy 3rd and fourth. He kept up OK during third and fourth, although in fourth I would've probably murdered him in a fair race with brake boosting. Once we got up into higher speeds it seems that the massive power of the EJ25 was just too much for him , even with that weakling of a stock turbo.

It was fun, and my GOD that boxer rumble at WOT is just amazing.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow. nice runs

be careful though
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

You own/use to own a TT 3000GT, how does that compare to your stage 2?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang
    You own/use to own a TT 3000GT, how does that compare to your stage 2?
    Still do. I'd love to compare them side by side but, my 3000GT breaks all the freakin time. I'll spare you all the details but it all started with a bad oil pump, which wrecked my motor and one of my 1,000 dollar turbos. Then the timing was set incorrectly on the AEM EMS and I popped the next motor. Those were both 10:1 motors. Now I bought a stronger 4 bolt main 8:1 compression motor. I'm waiting for my turbo to be rebuilt.

I'd say the stage 2 is faster than a stock 3000GT VR4 in the 1/4 but the VR4 would win from a roll due to gearing and aerodynamics. A VR4 with a boost controller at 17psi and exhaust mods would eat a stage 2. They react very nicely to exhaust mods. My 3000 has upgraded turbos, a standalone, a huge front mount, a ton of fuel, a stripped interior, an ACT clutch and aluminum flywheel... etc. Cars with similar set ups have made around 450 on pump gas, and 500+ on C16. So as you can see I can't really compare my 3000 to my wrx.

My WRX starts every day lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

I expected this thread to be about a WRX towing a broken cobalt down the highway

I probably would've still won in 5th gear, my god I destroyed that thing.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

You probably whooped him so bad in the triple digits because he probably figured out that loosing control at those speed is a garanteed death sentence. Glad you won but those speeds are just rediculous. I'm getting old.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

was it a stock supercharged SS?? I would imagine that you would wipe the floor with him from a stop...Ive always wanted to run into one of those guys on an empty road. 140 though....damn..scary
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Yeah stock supercharged SS.

Sure, 140 is scary. You should read what people do in their VR-4's. I've read race stories that end in the 170's. Now THATS ridiculous.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

140 mph is over 205 ft/second. Insane on a public road where your average driver has an IQ of about 80-90, and will cut your ass off without even looking in the mirrors. Our roads don't hold a candle to the construction of the autobahn. Can you say potholes?

believe me, I don't do that stuff unless I'm on a straightaway, theres no other cars, and I know this section of the road is not going to feel like rallying.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

Do you get complements on your car's color? I have the same color 06 WRXTR too, and everywhere I go I get complements on it. I have the STI wing on it though, and some Rota SDR 17's. It looks sick! I just took all the badges off (except the Star ones). It's really clean, and most cannot tell if it's a WRX, or STI unless they really know the car. The problem is I can get my ass handed to me and they might think it's an STI when it's not. I need two words....Stage two.

Only people who I'm actually talking to compliment it. As in, my coworker is walking out of work with me and says WOW thats YOUR car?! Usually people compliment that it's speedy, but not on the looks.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

I went to a sporting event this weekend, and it seemed like everyone kept looking at it like it was some sort of Ferrari or something. All I kept hearing was "I love the color", "Is it an STI" , Those wheels are gorgous", etc. I really think people like the wing on the car with that color. It (the wing) really looks better in crystal gray. It gets alot of attention on the highway too, especially from women. Go figure?

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    I went to a sporting event this weekend, and it seemed like everyone kept looking at it like it was some sort of Ferrari or something. All I kept hearing was "I love the color", "Is it an STI" , Those wheels are gorgous", etc. I really think people like the wing on the car with that color. It (the wing) really looks better in crystal gray. It gets alot of attention on the highway too, especially from women. Go figure?
    people are constantly asking if mine's an sti, and i have the wrx spoiler still. i was thinking about getting some custom plates that say, wrx ftw or not sti or something.
    ts, nice kill. i've yet to even see a supercharged ss on the streets.
    I want my subie back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast