Cobb Stage 2 vs Stock WRX

This is a discussion on Cobb Stage 2 vs Stock WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well my buddy just got a 2002 bone stock wrx with the factory short throw shifter. I wanted to see ...

Well my buddy just got a 2002 bone stock wrx with the factory short throw shifter. I wanted to see the difference between my 2005 cobb stage II wrx vs his 2002 stock wrx so we went out and did a few runs tonight, and well the outcome makes no sense. All runs started in 2nd gear and were up a decent incline, i mashed the gas to the floor while he eased it.

First run 25-65mph cobb stage II wrx puts 5 cars on stock wrx as expected.
    Second run 20-65mph dead even????
    Third run 20-65 dead even????

it seemed like he would get the jump on me in the lower rpm runs and i would take longer to spool up, i don't know if that has to do with my heavy aftermarket wheels making it harder for the motor to start spinning them or what. Maybe im pulling timing? I know once i hit third i would walk him but these runs never left 2nd gear really. On the upper rpm race that started at 25mph i pulled him hard, there was no driver error in any of the races as we stopped and discussed them, on the last race he did say he cheated a tad by starting to ease on the gas after the 2nd honk, in that race he jumped on me a car but stayed there all the way through 2nd.

We have taken our cars to the track and my cobb stage II wrx ran a 14.3@100mph his stock wrx ran a 14.7@92mph, so go figure, but it seems as though second gear is no different between a stock wrx and a cobb stage II wrx, at least not in this situation, besides the first run. Also is it better to ease into the gas or just slam the peddle to the floor, the more i do it the more it seems its better to ease in, as it builds boost quicker that way and doesn't bog down as much especially on a low rpm run. I slammed the pedal down each time and maybe that had something to do with it because my friend eased it down, who knows.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 08-21-2006 at 08:21 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

something is wrong with his car? try trading cars and see what the outcome is...
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1
    something is wrong with his car? try trading cars and see what the outcome is...
    What would trading cars do? There was no shifting involved, you think because the way he eased onto the gas? I have the cobb stage II car he has the stock wrx.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

sorry, i got you and your buddies car confused......the spool on the stage 2 should be significantly better thus giving you a jump....granted 3rd gear is going to be the real determining factor.... you may want to check to see the boost levels in 2nd grear to see how it varies from car to car.... also you should both try mashing on a signal that way you are doing the same process so there is less error...by mashing it you aren't giving his car time to spool before the race which should alter things...
    '06 wrx wr-blue

oh and just another thing...you both should work on your launch, what kind of 60ft times are you running? 100 is a high trap speed for a 14.3
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1
    oh and just another thing...you both should work on your launch, what kind of 60ft times are you running? 100 is a high trap speed for a 14.3
    Yes yes i posted about my run i know i need to work on my launch, i ran a 2.0 60 foot time, it was mostly my 1-2 shift that hurt me and my 21lb wheels didnt' help, im going back next month with my stock wheels and in a cooler temp not 85 and humid and im shooting for a mid 13, there were cobb stage II wrxs running 13.6s@96mph last time i went.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 08-21-2006 at 08:29 PM.

I think its driver

Quote Originally Posted by speedygolf
    I think its driver
    Mine still looks faster

3rd run dead even haha. I walked you *****. but i did cheat....

Quote Originally Posted by speedygolf
    3rd run dead even haha. I walked you *****. but i did cheat....
    You didn't walk me, you jumped one car on me and it stayed there the whole time, cause you jumped the gun. And by the way 14.3@100mph > 14.7@92mph.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    You didn't walk me, you jumped one car on me and it stayed there the whole time, cause you jumped the gun. And by the way 14.3@100mph > 14.7@92mph.
    my sig > both of you
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water