Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi VS Mazda RX8

16K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  mbs627 
#1 ·
Yo this guy at the bar said he'd beat my sti woth his mazda rx8 i laughed in his face i asked him is it stock hes like yeah id told him od blow the doors off his mazda...then hes like you have no respect for someone with a 36 thousand dollar car ...i laughed...rx8's cost 36?

#3 ·
hmmm no just a drunk story from the bar...but use your imagination theres no chance he would have won...

#4 ·
It is always funny to get challenged at the bar by dumbasses. I had a kid with a regular lancer "with a tubo and chip that made him faster than evos," tell me he could beat my 466 rwhp Cobra in a roll race, and that the only car he had lost to was a Maxima :rotfl: .

Also, it sucks for that dude paying 36k for the RX8 and thinking it was going to be fast in a straight line, lol.

#6 ·
Maybe he had a Shinka Edition they were $33,000 MSRP, throw in a a Navi and thats about $36,000.

The guy had no chance against an STi, even from a roll. They are so low on power.

#7 ·
ronbang said:
Yo this guy at the bar said he'd beat my sti woth his mazda rx8 i laughed in his face i asked him is it stock hes like yeah id told him od blow the doors off his mazda...then hes like you have no respect for someone with a 36 thousand dollar car ...i laughed...rx8's cost 36?
Proper capitalization and punctuation do wonders for the comprehension of a paragraph...or in your case, one long huge sentence.

STi will kill an RX-8, stock for stock.

#12 ·
Thug Nasty said:
What about the RX7's? I had always thought they were pretty quick...:confused:
Two completely different beasts.

1995 Mazda RX-7
Engine: 1.3L Rotary Twin Turbo
HP: 255
TQ: 217
Weight: 2826 lbs

2006 Mazda RX-8
Engine: 1.3L Rotary NA
HP: 232
TQ: 159
Weight: 3045 lbs

#13 ·
An RX8 is no match for a stock STi let along your Stage2 STi. It literally would have been murder.

RX8's are nice handling car, but too many of their owners think their car is much faster than it is.

#14 ·
DTR rex said:
An RX8 is no match for a stock STi let along your Stage2 STi. It literally would have been murder.

RX8's are nice handling car, but too many of their owners think their car is much faster than it is.
Could an RX-8 even beat a WRX?

#16 ·
cavallino333 said:
Could an RX-8 even beat a WRX?
If driven to their absolute full potential they are 14.5 @ 96mph cars.

That would mean it would edged out from a dig by a wrx and it would be a really close run from a roll. However, it is pretty hard to find people that can drive these cars efficiently. Go to any track and you are likely to see most RX-8's pulling very high 14's to lower 15's.

When I only had TBE on my 02' WRX I ran a few RX-8's from a roll. I won each time. They just take too long to make power and by the time they do make it its too late. Worse than a civic si or s2000 as far as having to wait for power.

Their handling feel is really amazing though.

#17 ·
YBNormal07 said:
These things are pathetically slow. I drove one and was soooooo disappointed. I thought something was wrong with it.
Yeah I test drove one before I got my WRX. It looks good has a nice interior but it's felt very slow. Isn't the RX-8 with the auto cheaper than the manual? I remeber they wanted somewhere around 32K for an auto when I was looking at it.

#18 ·
The guy also said somthinhg like its a rotary engine. Like he was trying to say that that makes it faster or somthing. Yo kid you have no respect for someone who buys a 36 thousand dollar car. I said ill smoke your 36 thousand dollar car and you paid 4 grand more for it. He goes hmmm didnt know Subaru made a car for 32 grand hmmm really Subaru. Cause when i told him my car was a Subaru thats when he really thought he would beat me. Stupid people i told him to go ask his friends about Subaru WRX's and STi's one of them has to know whats up.

#19 · (Edited)
reliability has finally improved to above average. basically it has a thirst for oil but that's it, and it's a small price to pay if you like rotaries. these days, you can get one anywhere between $25K - $30K because they're not selling well.

i don't care that it's slow, i like this car. compared to a WRX; much less body roll, much quicker steering response, MUCH better brakes, infinitely better weight distribution and balance. i'll be nice, so i won't compare the trannies: the RX-8's is sublime.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow.

#20 · (Edited)
AngelBoy said:
i don't care that it's slow, i like this car. compared to a WRX; much less body roll, much quicker steering response, MUCH better brakes, infinitely better weight distribution and balance. i'll be nice, so i won't compare the trannies: the RX-8's is sublime.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow. talk about tunnel vision.
Yeah thats true I can agree with that. It does handle very nice.

Is there any benefit to having a rotary engine vs say a conventional 4 cylinder? I never really understood point of it. Other than the ability to say wankle without looking weird

#21 ·
AngelBoy said:
reliability has finally improved to above average. basically it has a thirst for oil but that's it, and it's a small price to pay if you like rotaries. these days, you can get one anywhere between $25K - $30K because they're not selling well.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow. talk about tunnel vision.
But it's a "sports" car. Talk about false advertising.

#23 ·
cavallino333 said:
Is there any benefit to having a rotary engine vs say a conventional 4 cylinder?
three benefits:

1) an extremely low polar moment of inertia. a rotary is so compact, it can be jammed *way* behind the front axle. there's barely any weight over the front axle, which gives you uncorrupted steering feel, and extremely good "bite" from the front tires; important, since the front tires do the turning.

2) extremely low center of gravity: again, a rotary is so compact, it can be mounted very low.

3) rotaries are called that because they easily rotate. that's why they can have stratospheric redlines, and they're damn smooth at any rpm. always willing to rev. on the rx-8 forums, people catch themselves doing 6500rpms and don't even notice unless they look. also, because they rev so freely, there's no need for balance shafts, which reduces weight. (unfortunately, this is also why they have virtually no torque)

#26 ·
pimpin all over the world

RX8 from my point of view are really good looking cars The exterior real nice, and the Interior the same thing and i think overall its a better car than the wrx! just better atractive but if u talking about performance c'mon dog!! the wrx beat the rx8 with no problem and STi please no even close! not at all. new turbos proyects are coming for our cars guyz!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.