Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi VS Mazda RX8

16K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  mbs627 
#1 ·
Yo this guy at the bar said he'd beat my sti woth his mazda rx8 i laughed in his face i asked him is it stock hes like yeah id told him od blow the doors off his mazda...then hes like you have no respect for someone with a 36 thousand dollar car ...i laughed...rx8's cost 36?

#53 ·
the RX-8 will murder a MS3 in anything but a straight line, and won't even bother to spit out the bones. it also has much better steering, tranny, ride quality, looks better, and is RWD.

and i still don't see how RX-8's are overpriced. unless you can find another $27K sports car that is luxurious, seats four, does everything well, and has the most unique engine in the world.

magazine racing is for high school kids who don't have their license yet. drive an RX-8, and tell me it's not the most capable car on an auto-x or slalom this side of a Boxster.

#54 ·
AngelBoy said:
the RX-8 will murder a MS3 in anything but a straight line, and won't even bother to spit out the bones. it also has much better steering, tranny, ride quality, looks better, and is RWD.

and i still don't see how RX-8's are overpriced. unless you can find another $27K sports car that is luxurious, seats four, does everything well, and has the most unique engine in the world.

magazine racing is for high school kids who don't have their license yet. drive an RX-8, and tell me it's not the most capable car on an auto-x or slalom this side of a Boxster.
I hear what you're saying, but I hope you can see the irony of you telling me not to dismiss a car I haven't driven by you dismissing a car you haven't driven. ;)

#56 · (Edited)
snowcat said:
I hear what you're saying, but I hope you can see the irony of you telling me not to dismiss a car I haven't driven by you dismissing a car you haven't driven. ;)
don't need to drive the MPS 3; it'll have an engine mounted over the front axle, way up high, and is FWD. that automatically means steering feel won't be as good, and the 6-speed in the MPS 6 blows compared to the RX-8's. RWD > FWD. no amount of suspension tweaks or gumball tires will make up for that, especially compared to how the RX-8 is set up. not to mention the RX-8 was designed as a sports car from birth, while the MPS 3 is a modified version of my economy car. you can't even compare the two.

#57 ·
AngelBoy said:
don't need to drive the MPS 3; it'll have an engine mounted over the front axle, way up high, and is FWD. that automatically means steering feel won't be as good, and the 6-speed in the MPS 6 blows compared to the RX-8's. RWD > FWD. no amount of suspension tweaks or gumball tires will make up for that, especially compared to how the RX-8 is set up. not to mention the RX-8 was designed as a sports car from birth, while the MPS 3 is a modified version of my economy car. You can't even compare the two.
I wouldn't bet on it. The platform was based on the Euro Focus RS (arguably one of the best FWD cars ever). I've driven a Mazda3 twice before and I have to say I was very impressed with the handling even in the economy car. The MS3 apparently has like an 80% increase in structural rigidity and tighter suspension/tires. I won't be surprised if it pulls better slalom numbers than the RX-8.

Granted, I'd rather own an RX-8 too, but I wouldn't put down the MS3 before it comes out. The reports are only now starting to trickle in, but I've already read a review from someone that drove the car that says it feels like a FWD Evo wagon. Mazda knows handling.

#58 ·
Skunkers said:
I wouldn't bet on it. The platform was based on the Euro Focus RS (arguably one of the best FWD cars ever). I've driven a Mazda3 twice before and I have to say I was very impressed with the handling even in the economy car. The MS3 apparently has like an 80% increase in structural rigidity and tighter suspension/tires. I won't be surprised if it pulls better slalom numbers than the RX-8.
i know what you mean, it will probably pull in better numbers than the RX-8 in all performance categories.

maybe i'll re-phrase it this way: C & D lapped a Solstice GXP a full *two* seconds faster than the Boxster. we all know that 2 seconds is an eternity, but which car would you rather own? if you still say GXP, then we just have different preference. some people look at performance / dollar, i like to think of it as smiles / mile.

an RX-8 will lose grip before a MPS 3, but it's practically mid-engined, and RWD. you *want* to lose grip in a car like that :cool:

the MPS 3 *has* to have higher grip and slalom numbers, because if you lose grip in that thing, it will understeer like a pig, the front tires will be overwhelmed, and the fun is over.

#59 ·
AngelBoy said:
i know what you mean, it will probably pull in better numbers than the RX-8 in all performance categories.

maybe i'll re-phrase it this way: C & D lapped a Solstice GXP a full *two* seconds faster than the Boxster. we all know that 2 seconds is an eternity, but which car would you rather own? if you still say GXP, then we just have different preference. some people look at performance / dollar, i like to think of it as smiles / mile.
Well yeah, I'm probably the wrong one to ask on that note. My friend and I continously have arguments where he asks me whether I'd prefer say a used FD RX-7 or Z32 TT and money to mod it or a used Porsche or M3. And I honestly usually pull for the "inferior" car in the knowledge I'd have a better performing machine. I don't care at all about status or "luxury" in a sports car.

I'd probably take a Sky Redline (Don't like the Solstice) over a Boxster if it outperformed the Boxster that much on a track. That said, I'd probably prefer a S2000 over either (Despite the S's lack of aftermarket potential). I will mention that I have an inherent dislike for the Boxster as a whole, while I think the Cayman S is awesome.

As for the original argument, I agree: I'd prefer a RX-8 over a MS3 anyday. Mainly because I love the RX-8 so much. I love the looks, I love the engine, I love the handling and feel, and I love the interior.

#61 · (Edited)
DTR rex said:
That is simply just not true. The rotary itself is not all that great on reliable but you cannot compare the RX7 vs RX8 in reliability. There are many RX8's still running fine for the most part and some high mileage ones nearing the 80,000 mile point. RX7's are well known for blowing motors and among SOOO many other things. I dont know one, not one RX7 owner still on the stock motor.
I don't know, I don't trust the RX-8 yet. It seems there is always something, like this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/mazda_recall.html

I would like to see them succeed but I just don't see them making it in the long term if they can't change the general public opinion. Starts by preventing these kind of flaws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.