STi VS Mazda RX8 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi VS Mazda RX8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex Yeah, I think there is no denying that the RX8 is an excellent sport sport ...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Yeah, I think there is no denying that the RX8 is an excellent sport sport car in most reguards. The handling, braking, interior and exterior styling, weight distribution and such. For some people, the awesome handling and braking characteristics the car has is enough to outweight the fact that it has no torque and is underpowered... For others, it's not enough.

I personally do not mind a car that is only a mid-high 14sec car (like the RX8) if it can handle and break excellently as well as having a nice tranny and nice interior. HOWEVER, it's the extremely low torque that would bother me... Not to mention the fact that it burns oil and gets 18mpg from an N/A 4cylinder.

If I had $25,000 to spend on a new car though, and the wrx was not an option I might very well give the RX8 a lot of thought.
    Sorry to be overly critical but there are actually no cylinders

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeoff
    Good catch
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeoff
    i'm surprised no one caught that earlier.
    "Goodie Gum Drops"

What I like about RX-8's is that they have a CF driveshaft, stock.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
    What about the RX7's? I had always thought they were pretty quick...
    STI vs RX-7 would be close but the STI would pull very slowly but not by much.

RX-8 is very slow hunk of metal, its no where as cool as the older RX-7.

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline

RX-8 is very slow hunk of metal, its no where as cool as the older RX-7.
    Maybe not as cool, but it handles better and is MUCH MUCH more reliable. Just trying to give credit where it is due. The FD was a much better performance car but one of the most unreliable vehicles ever built once you start modding. FC's are great too. Not that fast stock, but amazing potential and much more reliable than the FD's.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Maybe not as cool, but it handles better and is MUCH MUCH more reliable. Just trying to give credit where it is due. The FD was a much better performance car but one of the most unreliable vehicles ever built once you start modding. FC's are great too. Not that fast stock, but amazing potential and much more reliable than the FD's.
    I don't think i would agree that it is much much more reliable at least not in the engine department, the rotories tend to get a lot of stuck valves and what not. Yes its a nice car, its looks are sweet and even i would drive one but mazda held out on it, maybe thats just cause ford owns them now.

I don't think i would agree that it is much much more reliable.
    it is, you'll see plenty of RX-8's on the road in the future.

but mazda held out on it, maybe thats just cause ford owns them now.
    Mazda didn't hold out on it, the Renesis went through a thorough re-design. Ford donates chassis' and engine blocks to Mazda, owning 33.1% of them. although Mazda has completely different QA/QC measures, design priorities, suspension design, transmissions, factory locations, etc etc.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I don't think i would agree that it is much much more reliable at least not in the engine department,
    That is simply just not true. The rotary itself is not all that great on reliable but you cannot compare the RX7 vs RX8 in reliability. There are many RX8's still running fine for the most part and some high mileage ones nearing the 80,000 mile point. RX7's are well known for blowing motors and among SOOO many other things. I dont know one, not one RX7 owner still on the stock motor.
    Just call me Clark Kent

That is simply just not true. The rotary itself is not all that great on reliable but you cannot compare the RX7 vs RX8 in reliability. There are many RX8's still running fine for the most part and some high mileage ones nearing the 80,000 mile point. RX7's are well known for blowing motors and among SOOO many other things. I dont know one, not one RX7 owner still on the stock motor.
    You can't really compare a NA motor to a twin turbo motor though. And i wasn't comparing it with the RX-7's reliablity because of course its better but i'd say that it still has things to improve on, mazda already fixed most the things but the older ones still had issues.

Theres a lot of cares out there that are reliable and don't cost as much as the RX-8, i don't expect to see a whole ton of them on the road in the future because one its milage isn't that great last time i checked and who wants a car with that little room, very little people don't want to own a sports car.
    Last edited by project_skyline; 08-20-2006 at 11:23 AM.

i don't expect to see a whole ton of them on the road in the future because one its milage isn't that great last time i checked and who wants a car with that little room, very little people don't want to own a sports car.
    sure, if the RX-8 is your only car then you'll definitely have some problems down the road.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I don't think i would agree that it is much much more reliable at least not in the engine department, the rotories tend to get a lot of stuck valves and what not. Yes its a nice car, its looks are sweet and even i would drive one but mazda held out on it, maybe thats just cause ford owns them now.
    Rotaries don't have valves.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers
    Thank you

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers
    I'm a lil sketchy on this

but how do they direct flow in the right direction(into the chamber from the intake/out of the chamber into the exhaust) w/o valves? They may run reed style 1-way valves like a 2 stroke, but they have to use something.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devilfluff
    I'm a lil sketchy on this

but how do they direct flow in the right direction(into the chamber from the intake/out of the chamber into the exhaust) w/o valves? They may run reed style 1-way valves like a 2 stroke, but they have to use something.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine1.htm

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast