STi VS Mazda RX8 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi VS Mazda RX8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by cavallino333 Could an RX-8 even beat a WRX? If driven to their absolute full potential they are ...

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Could an RX-8 even beat a WRX?
    If driven to their absolute full potential they are 14.5 @ 96mph cars.

That would mean it would edged out from a dig by a wrx and it would be a really close run from a roll. However, it is pretty hard to find people that can drive these cars efficiently. Go to any track and you are likely to see most RX-8's pulling very high 14's to lower 15's.

When I only had TBE on my 02' WRX I ran a few RX-8's from a roll. I won each time. They just take too long to make power and by the time they do make it its too late. Worse than a civic si or s2000 as far as having to wait for power.

Their handling feel is really amazing though.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    These things are pathetically slow. I drove one and was soooooo disappointed. I thought something was wrong with it.
    Yeah I test drove one before I got my WRX. It looks good has a nice interior but it's felt very slow. Isn't the RX-8 with the auto cheaper than the manual? I remeber they wanted somewhere around 32K for an auto when I was looking at it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

The guy also said somthinhg like its a rotary engine. Like he was trying to say that that makes it faster or somthing. Yo kid you have no respect for someone who buys a 36 thousand dollar car. I said ill smoke your 36 thousand dollar car and you paid 4 grand more for it. He goes hmmm didnt know Subaru made a car for 32 grand hmmm really Subaru. Cause when i told him my car was a Subaru thats when he really thought he would beat me. Stupid people i told him to go ask his friends about Subaru WRX's and STi's one of them has to know whats up.
    Invidia Catted DP, HKS Carbon Ti Catback, APS CAI, Perrin lightweight pulley, AP Stage 2 Protuned, cleared headlights, pillar less grill mod, red havac and key ring lights, Rota Revs Royal Black Falken RT-615's

reliability has finally improved to above average. basically it has a thirst for oil but that's it, and it's a small price to pay if you like rotaries. these days, you can get one anywhere between $25K - $30K because they're not selling well.

i don't care that it's slow, i like this car. compared to a WRX; much less body roll, much quicker steering response, MUCH better brakes, infinitely better weight distribution and balance. i'll be nice, so i won't compare the trannies: the RX-8's is sublime.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 08-16-2006 at 07:07 PM.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy

i don't care that it's slow, i like this car. compared to a WRX; much less body roll, much quicker steering response, MUCH better brakes, infinitely better weight distribution and balance. i'll be nice, so i won't compare the trannies: the RX-8's is sublime.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow. talk about tunnel vision.
    Yeah thats true I can agree with that. It does handle very nice.

Is there any benefit to having a rotary engine vs say a conventional 4 cylinder? I never really understood point of it. Other than the ability to say wankle without looking weird
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-16-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    reliability has finally improved to above average. basically it has a thirst for oil but that's it, and it's a small price to pay if you like rotaries. these days, you can get one anywhere between $25K - $30K because they're not selling well.

it's too bad so many people are willing to overlook these things because it's slow. talk about tunnel vision.
    But it's a "sports" car. Talk about false advertising.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

it's a "sports" car.
    compared to a WRX; much less body roll, much quicker steering response, MUCH better brakes, infinitely better weight distribution and balance. i'll be nice, so i won't compare the trannies: the RX-8's is sublime.

see, we agree

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333

Is there any benefit to having a rotary engine vs say a conventional 4 cylinder?
    three benefits:

1) an extremely low polar moment of inertia. a rotary is so compact, it can be jammed *way* behind the front axle. there's barely any weight over the front axle, which gives you uncorrupted steering feel, and extremely good "bite" from the front tires; important, since the front tires do the turning.

2) extremely low center of gravity: again, a rotary is so compact, it can be mounted very low.

3) rotaries are called that because they easily rotate. that's why they can have stratospheric redlines, and they're damn smooth at any rpm. always willing to rev. on the rx-8 forums, people catch themselves doing 6500rpms and don't even notice unless they look. also, because they rev so freely, there's no need for balance shafts, which reduces weight. (unfortunately, this is also why they have virtually no torque)

Interesting thanks. Learn something everyday.
    FORZA FERRARI

Best part is is that he probably had an automatic
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

pimpin all over the world

RX8 from my point of view are really good looking cars The exterior real nice, and the Interior the same thing and i think overall its a better car than the wrx! just better atractive but if u talking about performance c'mon dog!! the wrx beat the rx8 with no problem and STi please no even close! not at all. new turbos proyects are coming for our cars guyz!

i raced a rx8 when i was stock from a 1st gear roll and even though he jumped on me i was pullin on him quite badly. now that im stage 2 he doesnt want to race
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

My friend just raced one in his rsx-s and beat it. They look nice and flashy but they dont put out..

In a straight line...no. In a tight auto-x...it would be a good race. On a real track...no. Drivers being equal naturally. These things are pathetically slow. I drove one and was soooooo disappointed. I thought something was wrong with it.
    In a tight autocross a stock RX8 would ruin a stock WRX. They're in different SCCA classes anyways, B stock vs D stock, so it's not apples to apples.

Hell, I'm running 2 seconds faster than the stock WRX's in my stock MSP. The RX8's have me beat.

Yeah, I think there is no denying that the RX8 is an excellent sport sport car in most reguards. The handling, braking, interior and exterior styling, weight distribution and such. For some people, the awesome handling and braking characteristics the car has is enough to outweight the fact that it has no torque and is underpowered... For others, it's not enough.

I personally do not mind a car that is only a mid-high 14sec car (like the RX8) if it can handle and break excellently as well as having a nice tranny and nice interior. HOWEVER, it's the extremely low torque that would bother me... Not to mention the fact that it burns oil and gets 18mpg from an N/A 4cylinder.

If I had $25,000 to spend on a new car though, and the wrx was not an option I might very well give the RX8 a lot of thought.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast