STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Would you say that the STI has a fairly decent performance bang compared with how much the car costs? The ...

STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars

Would you say that the STI has a fairly decent performance bang compared with how much the car costs? The reason I'm asking is I've been looking a lot at 0-60 & 1/4 mile times between this car, a new mustang gt & used (ls1) camaros. From what I've been seeing, a new mustang gt is significantly cheaper than a STI. And is it safe to say that the performance is roughly the same? Personally I'd rather have the STI since the gas mileage is better and since it's a smaller car I'd assume it's easier to drive then the GT. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the cost difference between the two cars knowing that I could get comparable performance while paying so much less. You can no longer buy a new camaro so that's out, even though the LS1 is faster than a STI.

I'm assuming that a mustang gt has a lot of room for performance improvement vs an STI. Mainly because the engine is still naturally aspirated and the STI is already pretty tweaked.

If any of my facts are wrong, please forgive me. I'm still in the research phase of deciding which car to get, and it's been many years since performance numbers have meant anything to me. The cost of an STI is about the limit of what I'm willing on spending for a new car. I'm not looking for something that's a full blown dragster. Just something that's got a ton of power for a reasonable price. Don't ask why, I don't even know. I think it's a mid life thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bang for the buck. the srt4. if thats the only thing ur looking at. 11s for 2500. sti handling with another 2k. used pricing at 15-18k for an 04. i would say tho the best bang for the buck off the showroom stock is 03 evos and some stis. if you find one in the right price. sence 04s stil go for 26k.

but new.... pending on how far u wanted to mod the evo or sti over the stang.
    Last edited by 2004NeonSRT4; 08-12-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Well if straight line performance is all you're looking at then I guess the STi, doesn't have as great 'bang for the buck' as other cars. The STi is designed for a lot more than just a quarter mile time. You're also paying for a better tranny, suspension, brakes...the list goes on. Out of the other cars that you mentioned, the STi will out handle any of them. If you're looking for best quarter-mile time bang for the buck, I say get a used Cobra and put some work in it.

As far as a neon ever handling as well as an STi.... 3 letters...FWD
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    Well if straight line performance is all you're looking at then I guess the STi, doesn't have as great 'bang for the buck' as other cars. The STi is designed for a lot more than just a quarter mile time. You're also paying for a better tranny, suspension, brakes...the list goes on. Out of the other cars that you mentioned, the STi will out handle any of them. If you're looking for best quarter-mile time bang for the buck, I say get a used Cobra and put some work in it.

As far as a neon ever handling as well as an STi.... 3 letters...FWD
    please no neon bashing or anything keep it on track. guy doesnt wanna hear that just opinons on his ?
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    please no neon bashing or anything keep it on track. guy doesnt wanna hear that just opinons on his ?
    I understand. I also understand that the SRT-4 should be a candidate for him as well as it is soley a performance car and is relatively cheap. But I don't agree with your statement.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Holy cow I had no idea those srt4s were that fast! Is that right? I've got to definitely read up some on those things.

I'm sure you're getting really quality stuff in STI. Heck didn't the '06 impreza win some kind of safety award? I mean, I seems like every car out there has won SOME kinda weird safety award from an org you've never heard about but didn't the insurance industry rank it highest in its class?

I'm not looking for a drag car, I've just been using 1/4 mile & 0-60 times as a performance gauge. I def don't wanna have to spend time working on a used car when I could be playing Half Life 2.

Man, lemme get that straight again, 11's for $25000? (I'm assuming you left out a 0 in the 2500)

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnjabi
    Man, lemme get that straight again, 11's for $25000? (I'm assuming you left out a 0 in the 2500)
    I think he ment $2,500 in mods would get you into the 11's.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Holy cow I had no idea those srt4s were that fast! Is that right? I've got to definitely read up some on those things.

I'm sure you're getting really quality stuff in STI. Heck didn't the '06 impreza win some kind of safety award? I mean, I seems like every car out there has won SOME kinda weird safety award from an org you've never heard about but didn't the insurance industry rank it highest in its class?

I'm not looking for a drag car, I've just been using 1/4 mile & 0-60 times as a performance gauge. I def don't wanna have to spend time working on a used car when I could be playing Half Life 2.

i can prove the handling. you can pm if you really wanna discuss it. yeah 11s for 2500 in parts. no labor or tuning which most can do them all ur self. also was done on slicks and the stock turbo. that price is also leacing out wheels and slicks. same with the sti handling abilities, figure anotehr 1k for good sticky tires and wheels.
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    I think he ment $2,500 in mods would get you into the 11's.
    Ah ok, got that. How hard do you think it'd be to get the STI into the 12s? Isn't the 1/4 mile stock rated at around 13.5?

Great response so far, keep 'em coming!

you can do it stock if you can drive it right. a few have done it. i was lucky enough to see it. 3 times in a row. most are low low 13s. mid lower 12s with the 2500ish stage 2 cobb package. through in a good protune at ur local dyno tuner and should be solid low 12s for the 3k range.
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

You can easily hit mid 12's with less than 1K. Cobb's Stage 2 will do it for you. All you need is an AccessPort and a downpipe.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Since nobody has said it yet, you should know that the SRT4 is Teh Fastoooorzzzz444ppsssstgt.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51
    Since nobody has said it yet, you should know that the SRT4 is Teh Fastoooorzzzz444ppsssstgt.
    werd! check the sig haha have you looked into the evo IX's?
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Personally I'd rather have the STI since the gas mileage is better and since it's a smaller car I'd assume it's easier to drive then the GT.

I wouldn't count on the MPG with my wrx (which should be slightly better than an STI) I got about 17-20mpg with pretty much 50/50 highway/city.

The STi is a good performance/money deal but the EVO is even better IMO. The other car I could suggest is a 350Z but thats assuming you you don't have to buy a sedan. The Z is not as fast as a STi but its not very far behind,handling is just as good as an STi and it can be had for a little less money. IMO its a more well rounded car, it has a nicer interior, its a little smoother, and has a a more "sports car" feel. However if all out performance (at a decent price) is your priority then the EVO is by far the best bet.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-12-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    werd! check the sig haha have you looked into the evo IX's?
    Nah, I haven't. Should I? I've seen a bunch of reviews between the STI and EVO and they almost all come back saying the EVO has better handling and the STI has a oversteer issue. But the STI is sopposed to have more 'balls'.

You know, the SRT4 was starting to sound really good. Plus they look cool. Until I took a look at a pic of the Caliber that's replacing the Neon. WTF is that thing? I thought I was bending over backwards looking past the looks of the STI in exchange for its brute strength. The Caliber, I'm sorry, I cannot do. That monstrosity will not find a home with me. What was Dodge thinking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.