STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Gloveperson I was into the F-body crowd of modding for a long time and it takes a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gloveperson
    I was into the F-body crowd of modding for a long time and it takes a lot more than you may think.

For one, the rear axle is a POS. That is 2k right there for a car that has anymore than bolt-ons and no sticky tires for a manual. A clutch is needed and especially a new master cylinder.

So far, we have a new clutch, rear-end, gear sets and master cylinder (as well as the other little things such as a flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing and slave cylinder) with us spending about 3000.

A set of good long tube headers and a cutout will set you back another 1200 dollars. A lid luckily is only about 100. An LSX 90mm TB and intake manifold is another 1000. You could go with the stock LS6 and ported TB for only 100 if so desired, but on a good head/cam or big cam set-up, you should have them since they are worth about 20 WHP.

A camshaft and all of the accompanying things will be about 800 and labor is about 800.

Tuning is a variable, depends on if you get it pro tuned or by a friend so cost is anywhere from 100-500 I suppose.

This will get you about 380-420 WHP depending on the cam for an M6, but as you can see, the cost was not cheap and we didn't even get suspension or tires in.
    Not sure what setup you are running but I know a guy with a 2000 T/A M6 and here is what he got..
    418 RWHP and 380 RWTQ

heres the package i put in.

Comp Cam 236/236 .602/.602 114+2
    ls2 timing chain
    ls7 lifters
    ls6 oil pump
    comp dual springs
    titanium retainers
    SVO 30# injectors

Said total invested was $1300.00.

As for the rear being crap. Well sort of. Not it's not a 12bolt of ford 9inch but with 4:10 it can hold a good bit of power. My friend at work just put in a custom TT kit (copied off the STS kit) into his C5 and layed down 482rwhp. Total invested he said was around 6k.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    As for the rear being crap. Well sort of. Not it's not a 12bolt of ford 9inch but with 4:10 it can hold a good bit of power. My friend at work just put in a custom TT kit (copied off the STS kit) into his C5 and layed down 482rwhp. Total invested he said was around 6k.
    It will break if he puts good tires on and even if he doesn't it will break in the future. Well, that is if it is an M6. An A4 will lost, much, much longer

It is a huge achiles heal for the car. It is similar to people who put a huge turbo on a stock STi block. Yes, they will make power for a month or two, but it will break with 400 WHP.

My old set-up was bolt-ons, 100 shot, and the MTI Stealth 2 cam with a 9 inch.

As for the C5, well yes, the C5 has a strong IRS and can take over 450 WHP no problem.
    Last edited by Gloveperson; 08-16-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    04 Silver STi M6

Quote Originally Posted by powder
    I've driven (in this order) '06 WRX, '06 STi, SRT-4 b2b2b w/in like, 3 hours. I'm sorry to say that because of the FWD 'issue' as i like to call it, the SRT-4 was not even close to the WRX. That's my personal opinion, and driving as many cars as i have, the SRT-4 is what it is. It's a screamin alternative to a Civic Si or integra GSR or something to that effect, but it's drive train doesn't hold a candle to the superiority of AWD. As far as spending little money for lot's of performance, i've seen WRX's w/ 2500 into them go mid-high 12's.

stock vs stock the sti destroys a srt around turns. the acr will do better but not with out some major seat time. vs a stock wrx is a tru drivers race tho. i aggree the feeling of awd is way better then fwd. but u also cant compare a car on what a half hr drive in each seat time. i've owned a wrx and srt. dont have much seat time in a sti but my srt after some addons feels just as stable and has better road mannors then my old bug eye.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Fair enough. I thought about an SRT until i drove a wrx first. I decided to give the boxer a go.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Cobra vs STI vs Evo (Warning! This are my opinion!)

Straight-line speed 1/4 mile times - Cobra > Evo > STI
    Mod-ability - Cobra > Evo > STI
    All-around performance with AWD - Evo > STI
    Daily driver - STI > Evo > Cobra
    Reliability - STI > Cobra > Evo
    Interior - STI > Cobra > Evo
    Gas mileage - With any performance car...shouldn't even be considered

SRT-4 is another beast all-together. I looked at those too. Interior actually wasn't too bad. For me, the seats were a little too tight for everyday driving (they are the viper seats, unless you get the side airbags, then they're craptacular regular seats). Definately will smoke some tires with it, especially with some mods. All and all a great, cheap way to go fast. Unsure on reliability, as they're all new and yet to be proven (as with the STIs and Evos but we can go by the companies' history of reliability, which for dodge means crappy).

The best advice I can give is figure out what YOU actually want in a car. If you're looking for just performance, what kind of performance? 0-60? 1/4 mile dragster? Auto-X? Will this be your daily driver? How much snow/rain does your area get? Are you going to mod it? Are you going to own it for a long time? What about your "image?" Do you care what others may think of your ride?

Next is to test drive. Go test drive all your final candidates. Check out pricing. Decide how much each car will cost with the upgrades/packages you want. Are you going to void your warranty with mods so does that matter? Get a feel and don't be rushed. The salesmen will try to get you to rush your decision. ALWAYS tell them you'll think about it even if you want to buy the car right there and then. Whatever choice you make, good luck and let us know
    Last edited by 06blacksti; 08-23-2006 at 06:06 AM.
    2006 Black STI - stock
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Musty-stanks suck. You don't need a spoiler like the STI's in a musty-stank, just open the window and let your mullet produce the downforce.

i aggree. tho mod ability on the evo and cobra i think are fairly close. obviously in the end the bigger motor will make more power. but bang for buck. $$ spent to whp there fairly close. not close as in simalar whp numbers but pure cash to whp added.
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Mustang and SRT-4's may have good bang for the buck performance wise but you also need to consider depreciation value. I got scr**ed by purchasing domestic enough times that I'm never getting another Ford or Chrysler.

yep my old 02 wrx even if had 60k is worth more then my 04 srt4 with 20k. just the nature of a domestic.
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234