STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STIs performance bang for the buck vs other cars within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by cavallino333 ...However if all out performance (at a decent price) is your priority then the EVO is ...

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    ...However if all out performance (at a decent price) is your priority then the EVO is by far the best bet.
    Thanks for the tip. Will possibly take a read into it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well bang for buck id go for the evo IX hows 330 awhp for about 1200 bucks sound like?
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    well bang for buck id go for the evo IX hows 330 awhp for about 1200 bucks sound like?
    I agree. Thats low 12's high 11's right there.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Another vote for the Evo IX.

Plus, you can get them for a steal out at South Coast Mitsubishi. Depending on where you live, even if you have to have it shipped out to you, you could still potentially save thousands over buying it locally.

Check out their latest prices here

That's where I bought my Evo from back in March ($1000 less than their current pricing FTW ), and I can vouch for their service. The only thing I would suggest is perhaps looking at another carrier other than DAS if you need to have it shipped to you. I, along with many others, had numerous problems with DAS, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Geese1
    Another vote for the Evo IX.
    Thanks a bunch, more great advice. Hmm, the EVO's sound a little confusing to me, there's so many different types (MR, SE, GSR, SSL, RS... better stop, getting dizzy ). Gosh, maybe I should stick with an STI as there's no confusion in the lettering scheme there. I could spend a few minutes looking this up but could somebody give me a quick answer as to which one of those has the best motor and is the 'STI' equivalent? I'm assuming an EVO IX is like a WRX and the STI version is in one of those letter combos, possibly the SSL or MR since they are towards the most expensive of the bunch?

Ok, I checked it out myself. The EVO is definitely cheaper than the STI. In it's base form it's way cheaper, but you don't even get ABS. But if I understand things right, you DO get that same turbo charged engine that's in the higher EVO categories. I'd say that's a pretty good candidate for the answer of this thread's topic after all I was specifically asking for best performance to price ratio.

While not at the top of the list, but still pretty significant, is safety. The Impreza seems to sweep this category. IISA 2006 top safety pick gold for crash test rating at 5 stars. The Impreza has side impact bags while the EVO doesn't. And while some may see it as minor, at time of impact the impreza seat belts initially firm up, but they loosen just a tad to take some of the impact jolt away. I'm not sure if that's just for front and rear impacts. If a companys going to think that far safety wise then it shows that they're really trying to keep your parts in tact. The question is, does all that validate the price difference between the evo with abs and the STI? I'm leaning to think that it does.

Do you not care anything about the rest of the car? To me, the Evo's (the 03 model I drove) interior screamed "cheap"; it was no better than my 1989 Mirage was. The exterior styling is similar too

You can go fast in a lot of cars. The question should be "Which car do you want to go fast in?"
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Best bang for buck performance in an all around sense = Evo. It can be a track car one day and then a 1/4mile beast the next... not to mention all weather capabilities. STi can do the same, but the Evo is slightly cheaper and can handle MUCH MORE power on the stock drivetrain components.

Best bang for buck performance in a straight-line = 03/04 Cobra. Although the SRT4 can do big things and costs nearly $10,000 less, a Cobra will produce 400whp with bolt on's and throw on a KB or Whipple and you are looking at 600whp on the stock motor and tranny. For $28,000 a Cobra is hard to beat for power capabilities.

LS1's are always nice too.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I'm assuming you're mostly into straightline, race from a roll type of performance. If so, just get a domestic car. Srt-4 is probably your best bet, but I'm assuming it's not an easy car to drive putting that much power (assuming u mod it for more hp) down on a fwd car.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    I'm assuming you're mostly into straightline, race from a roll type of performance. If so, just get a domestic car. Srt-4 is probably your best bet, but I'm assuming it's not an easy car to drive putting that much power (assuming u mod it for more hp) down on a fwd car.
    1st and even much of 2nd gear are basically useless on modded SRT4's.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    i can prove the handling. you can pm if you really wanna discuss it. yeah 11s for 2500 in parts. no labor or tuning which most can do them all ur self. also was done on slicks and the stock turbo. that price is also leacing out wheels and slicks. same with the sti handling abilities, figure anotehr 1k for good sticky tires and wheels.
    This argument is kind of ridiculous my friend. Buy like an 87 5.0 Fox Body for 1500 dollars and spend 3k in mods and do all of that as well for much, much less money.

As for the STi being a good bang for the buck, the simple answer is, Yes.

Handling limits driving at 10/10 and having *fun* while driving at 7/10 is something that the STi however, destroys even a highly modded SRT-4 does. FWD is the antithesis of fun for handling IMHO.
    04 Silver STi M6

I think if you're looking for new cars, the 2006-2007 GT is a better value than an STi.

its also a more solid "substantial" car.

I just went through the same thing about a month ago and got the GT. Never looked back. Smiles all the way.

if you're not all farclempt over gas prices - GT. The GT will get somewhat lower milage, but it DOES run on 87 octane. Don't kid yourself, though, they're both sports cars and they both like gas. If you're going to b!tch about gas prices or fuel economy, don't buy either one. Sports cars are luxury items, if you can't afford to drive one, don't buy one.
    Last edited by blarg; 08-13-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    ....... If he wants all out power the mustang would blow all the evo's and sti's away with a simple twin turbo setup.

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline
    ....... If he wants all out power the mustang would blow all the evo's and sti's away with a simple twin turbo setup.
    Simple???And as for the 03-04 Cobras, if you want to make a lot of power, this is the car to get. A local guy just put a BOLT ON Turbonetics kit on and put down over 700whp on 19psi.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Heheh wow, great responses. You've all really opened my eyes to the possibilities out there. They're really bumping up the price on the 2007 Mustang Cobras. I seen something saying they're going to be about $40k. Gah. And the best times AutomobileMag.com could get with the thing was 13.1 on the 1/4 and a underwhelming 4.9 seconds 0-60. http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...teristics.html

I'm definitely still leaning with the STI. It's a pretty well rounded package and the look is starting to grow on me. One thing I'm a little disappointed in though is the fact that you can't even add a sunroof to it. I'm pretty sure those things can be installed aftermarked but I'm curious as to how much a structural hit would the car take by having a huge hole cut in its roof.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast