WRX catless TBE& uppie vs Stage one - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX catless TBE& uppie vs Stage one within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Silentdawn You have got to be kidding me. The Subaru cats are SO restrictive..why else would people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Silentdawn
    You have got to be kidding me. The Subaru cats are SO restrictive..why else would people gut them. Seriously. You make no sense. Please get your information correct before you post something like tha.t

Cat removal = hp gains.
    Yes, I agree that Subaru CATs are very restrictive, but the original post is not talking about the stock tbe. I'm refering to a downpipe with a high-flow CAT vs. a catless downpipe. The difference between high-flow cat and catless in hp gains/loss is very insignificant.

Please read the thread carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline
    Turbo back exhaust means no cats if it has cats its a Cat back exhaust plain and simple.

Q: Excuse me for not knowing about the abbreviation but what does AP stand for?
    AP = AccessPORT. It's a type of engine management.

downpipe + catback = turboback exhaust (refer to the diagram below).

You have an option of running a turboback exhaust with or without high-flow CAT. It does not neccessarily mean catless.

Last edited by Me&05WRX; 08-07-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    Yes, I agree that Subaru CATs are very restrictive, but the original post is not talking about the stock tbe. I'm refering to a downpipe with a high-flow CAT vs. a catless downpipe. The difference between high-flow cat and catless in hp gains/loss is very insignificant.

Please read the thread carefully.

Actually downpipes with High flow cats are reaching levels of almost non-restrictive, and have been shown to make LESS than a 5 hp diffrence at the crank!
    Stock or something close to it.....

[QUOTE=project_skyline]Turbo back exhaust means no cats if it has cats its a Cat back exhaust plain and simple.

Oh boy...Turbo Back exhaust means the exhaust from the turbo back (or the exhaust starting from the turbo all the way to end of the exhaust, does not mean it has to be catless), catback exhaust means the exhaust after the last cat, back to the end of the exhaust. Neither of these have anything to do with a car having cats or being catless, its just a determination of where the exhaust starts from.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Turbo back exhaust means no cats if it has cats its a Cat back exhaust plain and simple.

Q: Excuse me for not knowing about the abbreviation but what does AP stand for?
    Do you make a hobby out of spreading misinformation on this site or are you just not educated about these cars? Cobb and helix both make CATTED downpipes that will put you within 1-4 hp of non catted DP. You can have a catted DP and make GREAT power and still pass emissions. TBE means you have NEW exhaust from the turbo back. A catback would indicate you are using the stock DP with 2 cats on it.

AP= Accessport.

Oh and the TBE with no EM will beat a stg1 wrx if I was a betting man.
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 08-07-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by soon2BWRXd
    Actually downpipes with High flow cats are reaching levels of almost non-restrictive, and have been shown to make LESS than a 5 hp diffrence at the crank!
    How significant is 5hp loss/gains? What you just said is exactly what I've been trying to point out.

As for skyline_project, just educate yourself a little more than just spewing out information that's a little off.
    **Tossing up tips in the air.**
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 08-07-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    How significant is 5hp loss/gains? What you just said is exactly what I've been trying to point out.

As for skyline_project, just educate yourself a little more than just spewing out information that's a little off.
    **Tossing up tips in the air.**
    Right, a 5hp diffrence won't even be felt by the butt dyno! But i'm talking about High flow cats only, the stock cats are VERY restrictive so that they will pass emission testing with flying colors!
    I would be willing to bet that if you were to dyno 2 brand new WRXs...hell 2 of any car you will find a bigger diffrence from engine to engine at the wheels than you will with a high flow cat and a catless downpipe!
    Stock or something close to it.....

Quote Originally Posted by soon2BWRXd
    Right, a 5hp diffrence won't even be felt by the butt dyno! But i'm talking about High flow cats only, the stock cats are VERY restrictive so that they will pass emission testing with flying colors!
    I would be willing to bet that if you were to dyno 2 brand new WRXs...hell 2 of any car you will find a bigger diffrence from engine to engine at the wheels than you will with a high flow cat and a catless downpipe!

Yes, I completely agree with you. But the orignal post is not talking about stock tbe (w/ stock cats) which I'm responding to. I am talking about the exact same thing you're pointing here.

I'm simply stating that the difference between a dp with high-flow cat and a catted dp is not worth worrying in terms of performance difference. That's all.

What do you say we sticky this thread so every noob can be really confused?

IBTL

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Hahaa... tell me about it... man, I'm getting confused as to which thread or topic I'm responding to.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Do you make a hobby out of spreading misinformation on this site or are you just not educated about these cars? Cobb and helix both make CATTED downpipes that will put you within 1-4 hp of non catted DP. You can have a catted DP and make GREAT power and still pass emissions. TBE means you have NEW exhaust from the turbo back. A catback would indicate you are using the stock DP with 2 cats on it.

AP= Accessport.

Oh and the TBE with no EM will beat a stg1 wrx if I was a betting man.
    What the hell r u talking about, i say one thing wrong and u just assume i don't know jack about the car.

My mistake on the TBE, i was forgetting about the boxer engine arrangement.

What the hell r u talking about, i say one thing wrong and u just assume i don't know jack about the car.

n00b. j/k I've been owned a few times for posting wrong info. Just not twice in one thread.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

I Support ClubWRX

Within two days you had two stupid posts indicating you knew nothing. The 06 doesnt have a 7k redline, and what you thought was a TBE was wrong.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

And yet you're still proving your ignorance:

The boxer engine arrangement has nothing to do with it. It's the same on any engine, flat, inline, rotary, V, etc. It doesn't matter. If the exhaust system starts after the axle, it's an axleback. If it starts after the last cat, it's a catback. If it starts after the turbo, it's a turboback.

A turboback is a turboback, whether it's on a WRX or a Skyline GT-R.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.