new style GTO
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on new style GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on my way home yesterday and a yellow new style GTO blew past me on the interstate. He ...

new style GTO

I was on my way home yesterday and a yellow new style GTO blew past me on the interstate. He got stuck behind some slow cars and I cought up and his plates were "on green" so I followed him, and we were both turning at the same light. It turned green and he punched it and so I punched it to follow him. He got a little jump on me cuz I wasnt for sure if he would go fast or not. Well, he drifted around the corner (which looked really cool) and I was punching it behind him and I shifted to second and he started to pull away. Now, is this cuz I got a slower start than him, or are those really that fast?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most likly a combination of both there pretty quick (although their trannies are retarded) they also have lots more tourqe. Im sure it dont hep that you were a bit lat eon the start either.
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

GTO's have a lot of power. I drove my friends GTO once and it was pretty damn quick. There alot faster than they look thats for sure.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

My friend has an 06, it has 400hp, 400torque and they run between low 13s and upper 12s at 108mph or so, the older ones without the hood scoupes have the 5.7 with 350hp and are considerably slower, more in the lower 14s upper 13s at 105mph or so. Either way its a fast car.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    GTO's have a lot of power. I drove my friends GTO once and it was pretty damn quick. There alot faster than they look thats for sure.
    was it a manule?
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

wow, I did not realize they were that fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Newks
    was it a manule?
    yes
    FORZA FERRARI

I was thinking about getting one...then I realized they get bad gas mileage and it wouldn't be able to get into my driveway in the winter
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Sadly as much hp/tq as they have they aren't that fast.. Simply put they can't put the power to the ground. GM gave them a IRS instead of a solid axel like the Camaro and Trans am.. This is their biggest down far. The 04 came with an ls1 and the 05/06 came with the ls2. As stated it's about 50hp difference.

I ran an 06 with less then 3000 miles and already modded (i/e). Said he had around 450hp. It was a long light to light run from a 15mph roll. By the time he stopped smoking them the race was over. Clearly a case of a faster with traction issues. Even with their traction control on they aren't nearly as fast as they should be.

As far as I know no one has come out with a solid axel rear conversion for them. but once they do and get a nice 4 link, watch out.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

I agree with that they are pretty quick, but with that much power it should be faster.
    FORZA FERRARI

the LS2 GTO's are slightly faster then an LS1 C5/WS6/SS i know this cause my friends have both and they have raced.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    Sadly as much hp/tq as they have they aren't that fast.. Simply put they can't put the power to the ground. GM gave them a IRS instead of a solid axel like the Camaro and Trans am.. This is their biggest down far. The 04 came with an ls1 and the 05/06 came with the ls2. As stated it's about 50hp difference.

I ran an 06 with less then 3000 miles and already modded (i/e). Said he had around 450hp. It was a long light to light run from a 15mph roll. By the time he stopped smoking them the race was over. Clearly a case of a faster with traction issues. Even with their traction control on they aren't nearly as fast as they should be.

As far as I know no one has come out with a solid axel rear conversion for them. but once they do and get a nice 4 link, watch out.
    Sticky drag radials or ET Streets should help a lot. A lot of 03 Cobra guys I meet at the track are (surprisingly) getting away with IRS and sticky tires. Even with a little wheel hop, they're getting respectable 60' (1.7x)
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    It goes beyond just IRS why the LS2 GTO isn't considered as being fast, although "fast" is all relative to one's experiences.

The IRS isn't all that bad, hell, I have IRS and it doesn't slow me down on the drag strip. The three main problems are Tires, Weight, and Torque Management that hinders it's performance. The C6 Vettes are also having a problem with TM as well, along with run flats.
    N/A -- 11.9@119 1.911 60' w/street radials
    N2O -- 11.3@126 1.820 60' w/street radials

As a former '02 Cobb Stage 2 WRX owner and a current slightly modded '04 GTO owner, I can say that a Goat (LS1 or LS2) will hand most WRX's their ass. Yes, there are some wheel hop issues with the IRS, but with either a well-balanced launch or some proper suspension mods, you can take care of that problem (it's 10x easier to launch than a WRX - that's for sure). On a perfect launch for the WRX, the GTO may have to catch up a bit, but once you get into 2nd and especially 3rd, it is bye-bye as the top end of the LS1/2 owns.

I know...with enough money and mods a WRX can kill a (stock) GTO...but that goes for anything...there is always somebody faster with more money.

Stock, though, I must beg to differ - the '04's are not significantly underpowered in comparison to the '05's. Dyno's are showing about a 25-40 HP difference at the wheels (depending on the car), but with torque management and heat-soak issues that plague the LS2's, many of the '05's and '06's are running very similar times to the '04's stock for stock (i.e. - low-to-mid 13's). The '04 is only a low-14 second car in the hands of a retarded driver that either can't shift the M6 or doesn't push the pedal all the way to the floor in an A4 - with a decent launch.

Don't get me wrong - I love WRX's and would own another in a heartbeat for an all-year hot rod and overall fun car. Definitely an apples-to-oranges comparison in every way when you compare them to any '04-'06 GTO, though. They are just way different animals with completely separate missions/purposes. Again, there are always exceptions, but I would not take a GTO lightly - especially on the top end. You might beat it to 60 if you are lucky, but after that it is all a matter of how big of a turbo you have and how deep your pockets are.....

Cheers!
    Last edited by Scrat WRX; 08-01-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    I agree with that they are pretty quick, but with that much power it should be faster.
    Should be faster...except for the fact that they weigh so much!!!. The LS1/2 motors are fairly underrated, so it is a matter of pushing 600-700 lbs more mass than what it is in a 'Vette or what the WRX powertrain has to push around. Given the level of comfort and refinement, though, it is a nice trade-off between luxury and muscle. The current-era GTO's were not made to be stripper drag race cars. They just happen to be a fast car with a very high-end interior and nice ride that gives you a bit of the ol' "best of both worlds" for a hell of a lot less than something like a BMW M-series or Mercedes AMG-series ride. No, they are not up to that level of quality and refinement, but they are the best mix of muscle/luxury you can get on the market today for anywhere near their price ($30k range). It will be interesting to see the direction GM goes with this car when it comes back out in '08/'09, since there was such a backlash over the non-retro styling.

Anyway...enjoy your WRX's...they are damn fine rides!

Cheers!
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.