new style GTO - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on new style GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; They're talking about coming out with a new one in '08 or '09, haven't seen any prototypes yet though...it's going ...

They're talking about coming out with a new one in '08 or '09, haven't seen any prototypes yet though...it's going to compliment the new Camaro (they'll share the same LS2 drivetrain)
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    great car though... and strangely problem free, considering it is an american car. a shame its going bye bye.
    An American Car???? Dont let the Aussies hear ya say that!!
    Designed and built there BTW

And yes, it is no more (MONARO) the last one was sold on Aussie EBAY a couple of months back for silly money
    * 1:18.47 Manfield * 11.81 @ 114.7mph *
    ----
    Tuned by
    SPEEDTECH
    ----
    PICS<---->VIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    They're talking about coming out with a new one in '08 or '09, haven't seen any prototypes yet though...it's going to compliment the new Camaro (they'll share the same LS2 drivetrain)

I heard that the GTO was NOT being produced because the sales were very bad. Did GM bring it back? or will '09 be the last year?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    I just bought a GTO. They only have traction issues if the driver has no idea how to drive a RWD vehicle. The WRX definately handles better around corners, but for about 500 bucks you can bolt on some sways and springs and corner right along with a stock rex. Stock, they're much faster than a stock rex, just a little bit faster than a stock STi (power/weight kills the GTO). The transmission sucks compared to the WRX, but there are a few short throw shifters on the market that help. The main thing that I like about the GTO is that you can mod the hell out of it and not need to tune it every time you change something (though it helps). The LS1/2 are much more forgiving with mods than the Subaru motors are.

Overall, the cars are built for different purposes - the WRX/STi is an all around performer - awesome in the turns and more than enough power to beat most things on the street. The GTO is more of a muscle car - AMAZING in the straightaway and from light to light, and awesome top speed (170+ with the speed limiter removed STOCK), but in the corners it's a friggin boat. Each car is bred from a different history - the WRX is rally inspired, the GTO is muscle car inspired - two very different kinds of cars.

Which one is more fun? Hard to decide, really. For me, nothing beats the torque from a LS2, and I prefer to race "old school", that is, in a straight line from a dig. Not to say the GTO can't take turns, but when up agains an STi or Porche, it'll fall behind...that is, until there's another straightaway

Just my .02 from my limited experience.
    Good write-up! Nice to see another GTO owner who has owned (or still does own) a WRX. There are actually quite a surprising number of WRX-to-GTO converts online. Both are wonderful cars, each with their own mission in life.
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by geefunk
    their dumping it? crap I wanted one! I have always liked the new verison, even though most people think they are crap. Owell, guess I will have to get another wrx
    If you are really wanting one, go get one of the new '06 models that are still on the lots. Probably can get a pretty good deal on them. Sales have been a little better on the '06's, but I got a steal on my '04 when I traded my WRX (~$8,400 below sticker) and I know there were folks who got similar deals on '05's as well. Either way you go (Goat or new Rex), you can't go wrong!

As Kush stated, they are bringing them back in '08 or '09 with a total redesign, based on the Zeta (new Camaro and others) platform.

GTO's are definitely fast in a straight line. A guy I work with has an 04 GTO (with the LS1) and we were messing around after work today (we both take the same highway to get home). Right after you leave our office you make a right onto a 2 lane road. I was first and got a decent launch, no bogging or anything, and punched it in first, and had a good shift to 2nd. He came out and punched it in first too, and when he shifted to 2nd was side by side with me, he chirped the tires into 2nd and just took off. By the time my turbo spooled he was pretty much at the next light (about 100 yds from the turn). I followed him onto the interstate, staying behind him because there was too much traffic for him to take off. The entrance ramp was clear, and I stayed right with him through the curve, he left me on the straight, and then I caught up a bit in the next curve. Once we got on the interstate we both shut it down and just cruised.

It was definitely fun, but in the straights that thing walked all over my WRX. We're both stock, by the way
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I am going to setup a race with my friend who has an 06 6 speed GTO stock and i have a 05 cobb stage II with a few extras wrx.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Definately nice cars, and was in serious contention for my dollars (along with the STi) before I bought my Evo.

If it was more of a daily driver and not a weekend toy, I have a feeling I might very well have gone for the GTO...

We got one in at the dealership I work at today - manual, and blue with a blue interior (which is exactly what I would have chosen) but since it had already been presold it was picked up this afternoon. It was the last one they ordered, so we won't get any more new ones until the rumored redesign, which makes me kind of sad.

They really are a hell of a nice car.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Here's a link to the GTO forums E.T. list

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617

Scroll down to the LS2 stock times. We have a few guys running 12.9s @ 109 mph in bone stock LS2 GTOs. But these times where in cooler air. We also have a bunch of guys running deep in the 12s with a few basic bolt ons.

The LS2 GTOs absolutely hate the heat. I've never seen a car so affected by the heat. GMs very conseverative tuning seems to be affected by hot conditions. We have plenty of guys that can't do any better than high 13s - low 14s @ 100 - 102 mph in hot and humid conditions.But in cooler air those cars will be pulling low 13s @ 108 mph.

The M6 ( 6 speed) is also a handful to get off the line fast. Most new GTO owners are pulling 2.2 - 2.3 sec 60' times. That really hurts their 1/4 mile times. But with a little practice they can usually get their 60' times down in the 1.9 range on the stock rubber.

So if you want a good chance against a GTO, race one when it's hot outside. Or find a GTO with a new owner trying to figure out how to launch the thing.
    Otherwise, you'll be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Here's a link to the GTO forums E.T. list

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617

Scroll down to the LS2 stock times. We have a few guys running 12.9s @ 109 mph in bone stock LS2 GTOs. But these times where in cooler air. We also have a bunch of guys running deep in the 12s with a few basic bolt ons.

The LS2 GTOs absolutely hate the heat. I've never seen a car so affected by the heat. GMs very conseverative tuning seems to be affected by hot conditions. We have plenty of guys that can't do any better than high 13s - low 14s @ 100 - 102 mph in hot and humid conditions.But in cooler air those cars will be pulling low 13s @ 108 mph.

The M6 ( 6 speed) is also a handful to get off the line fast. Most new GTO owners are pulling 2.2 - 2.3 sec 60' times. That really hurts their 1/4 mile times. But with a little practice they can usually get their 60' times down in the 1.9 range on the stock rubber.

So if you want a good chance against a GTO, race one when it's hot outside. Or find a GTO with a new owner trying to figure out how to launch the thing.
    Otherwise, you'll be in trouble.
    Exactly! Luckily (for me, anyway ), the '04 LS1 models do not suffer from the heat soak issues like the '05+ LS2's, but you definitely have to watch for the LS2's in cooler weather. I personally witnessed an '05 GTO on a notoriously badly-prepped track go 12.60 with headers (no tune), an x-pipe (w/ an otherwise stock catback), a K&N cone filter in place of the stock airbox, and Nitto drag radials. This was in the early Spring, so it was still relatively cool and the heat soak did not affect it so much.

Glad to see a lot of respect for the GTO's on this site! It is especially cool coming from American muscle to WRX and then back to muscle again to see guys with Rex's still being so cool.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by geefunk
    I was on my way home yesterday and a yellow new style GTO blew past me on the interstate. He got stuck behind some slow cars and I cought up and his plates were "on green" so I followed him, and we were both turning at the same light. It turned green and he punched it and so I punched it to follow him. He got a little jump on me cuz I wasnt for sure if he would go fast or not. Well, he drifted around the corner (which looked really cool) and I was punching it behind him and I shifted to second and he started to pull away. Now, is this cuz I got a slower start than him, or are those really that fast?
    Just stick a Corvette engine in a Grand Am........and there ya go......instant muscle.
    2006 WRX TR (black)
    18x8 Rota P1 (black w/ red lip)

**Hawk-Eye Alliance #47**
    **Wingless Alliance #19**

i LOVE the 6.0 GTO.if i was in the market for a RWD car that would be it!!!! i have a lot of respect for that car, ran a few and was very impressed.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

There are quite a few of them in my area (Northern VA) and even more sitting in dealer lots. Not sure why they're not selling. Could be gas prices being what they are, and the fact that Pontiac is not really a good car for status (which is what most people base their decisions on here near the nations capital).
    2006 Black STI - stock
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Musty-stanks suck. You don't need a spoiler like the STI's in a musty-stank, just open the window and let your mullet produce the downforce.

I can't begin to understand why the new goat isn't a smashing success. Oh, I know some of the reasoning. It just strikes me as retarded. It's a 400hp monster for $32k and it can be had for closer to $27-28k.

I know some of the actual car enthusiast community discount it for not truly being an American car since it's based on the Holden. But I think the vast majority of people don't like it because it isn't retro. Which is just stupid, imo. Meanwhile people are going bonkers over the retro Challenger concept (which I think is ugly) and ignoring this car completely.

I imagine I have to defend my position on the Challenger now that i said that too. The reason I don't like the Challenger concept is not because it's retro. It's because it's *too* retro. While cars like the Mustang, Beetle, and new Camaro concept are retro, they're also modern-retro. In other words, they evoke the look of the older cars, but they still look modern. The Challenger concept literally almost looks identical to the 70 Challenger, only with new head and taillights. No sir, i don't like it.

P.S. I think Charger sales will plummet when the Challenger comes out, and you can quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2drv
    Just stick a Corvette engine in a Grand Am........and there ya go......instant muscle.
    Not quite
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123