new style GTO - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on new style GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; GTOwn3d...

GTOwn3d

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    I was thinking about getting one...then I realized they get bad gas mileage and it wouldn't be able to get into my driveway in the winter
    Yes, I agree with the winter assessment. The 3 or 4 days out of the year that I really need the AWD, I really miss my WRX. However, my GTO gets (on average) maybe 1 - 2 mpg less than my previous '02 Cobb stage 2 WRX. The 'Rex did better around town, but the LS1 actually gets great mpg out on the highway with the 6-speed. With my driving being a 75/25 mix of hwy/city, again, I only get 1-2 mpg less with an engine that is nearly 3x as big with 3x bigger grins when hitting the go-pedal. Out on flat stretches of the highway, I can get nearly 30 mpg @ 70-75 mph with the A/C on in 6th gear w/ my current intake and exhaust mods...'nuff said. (But, yes, I still have sever "winter day" envy )

Cheers!
    Last edited by Scrat WRX; 08-01-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

LS2 GTO is a nice car.

IBbrianHhasregrets
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat WRX
    Yes, I agree with the winter assessment. The 3 or 4 days out of the year that I really need the AWD, I really miss my WRX. However, my GTO gets (on average) maybe 1 - 2 mpg less than my previous '02 Cobb stage 2 WRX. The 'Rex did better around town, but the LS1 actually gets great mpg out on the highway with the 6-speed. With my driving being a 75/25 mix of hwy/city, again, I only get 1-2 mpg less with an engine that is nearly 3x as big with 3x bigger grins when hitting the go-pedal. Out on flat stretches of the highway, I can get nearly 30 mpg @ 70-75 mph with the A/C on in 6th gear w/ my current intake and exhaust mods...'nuff said. (But, yes, I still have sever "winter day" envy )

Cheers!
    My friends LS2 GTO is getting around 18mpg, maybe there is a big difference between the LS2 and LS1s im not sure but he doesn't push it all that much. My Cobb Stage II wrx is getting around 27mpg and i push it harder then his GTO. On another note his GTO is a very nice car, has lots of power, and the interior is much nicer then a WRX, he paid about $5,500 more for his GTO though. With the 2k i have in my WRX it can keep up with his GTO probably till 70mph from a dig, but after that its bye bye. From a roll i don't think i could keep up with him for more then a few seconds before his car walked away from me. His car is stock by the way, but if you start to take it around turns forget it, i took him for a ride in my wrx and he said if i did that with my GTO i would be sideways in the woods. Nice car though.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    if you start to take it around turns forget it, i took him for a ride in my wrx and he said if i did that with my GTO i would be sideways in the woods. Nice car though.
    I havnt pushed mine in the corners yet, will be interesting when I get around to it. My wife always freaks out in the passenger seat when we go around cloverleaf onramps. Its fun and I only do about 45ish on them. I have done up to almost 60 on them on my motorcycle. Think the wrx can do that?

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    They are fast and they respond well to mods. Too bad they didnt sell...and I don't know why they had such trouble.

I test drove an 05 before I bought my c5, and was very impressed. Handled well, had plenty of power, and certainly had the nicest interior of nearly any American car...

I still didn't buy it, though...weird. :shrug:
    2003 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
    They are fast and they respond well to mods. Too bad they didnt sell...and I don't know why they had such trouble.

I test drove an 05 before I bought my c5, and was very impressed. Handled well, had plenty of power, and certainly had the nicest interior of nearly any American car...

I still didn't buy it, though...weird. :shrug:
    They didn't sell because the style is pretty weak, they look like a regular sedan even down to the 235s they put on them stock.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    They didn't sell because the style is pretty weak, they look like a regular sedan even down to the 235s they put on them stock.
    True, but I always thought there would be a market for a total sleeper car. It was stylish on the inside...looked ok on the outside, and with simple mods would burn 99% of the cars on the road.

Too bad they get about 12mpg
    2003 SRT-4

I test drove one when i was considering trading my rex in. The car rides smooth, the trunk is small the back seat is small, the 6 speed is like driving a dump truck, doesnt feel as fast as it should, fun on the highway, sucks in the city, the interior better then wrx not refined enough as far as ergonomics go, personal opinion: over weight highway monster that needs alot of toys to really be fun as a daily driver. the final consideration was the awd, i live in michigan and travel to ny, cant do that in the goat our winters are way to f#cked up for that. for the money i would get a used c5 or z06
    "I can resist everything except temptation."
    www.subarunited.com
    www.dirtyimpreza.com
    www.corruptmotors.com

I just bought a GTO. They only have traction issues if the driver has no idea how to drive a RWD vehicle. The WRX definately handles better around corners, but for about 500 bucks you can bolt on some sways and springs and corner right along with a stock rex. Stock, they're much faster than a stock rex, just a little bit faster than a stock STi (power/weight kills the GTO). The transmission sucks compared to the WRX, but there are a few short throw shifters on the market that help. The main thing that I like about the GTO is that you can mod the hell out of it and not need to tune it every time you change something (though it helps). The LS1/2 are much more forgiving with mods than the Subaru motors are.

Overall, the cars are built for different purposes - the WRX/STi is an all around performer - awesome in the turns and more than enough power to beat most things on the street. The GTO is more of a muscle car - AMAZING in the straightaway and from light to light, and awesome top speed (170+ with the speed limiter removed STOCK), but in the corners it's a friggin boat. Each car is bred from a different history - the WRX is rally inspired, the GTO is muscle car inspired - two very different kinds of cars.

Which one is more fun? Hard to decide, really. For me, nothing beats the torque from a LS2, and I prefer to race "old school", that is, in a straight line from a dig. Not to say the GTO can't take turns, but when up agains an STi or Porche, it'll fall behind...that is, until there's another straightaway

Just my .02 from my limited experience.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    I just bought a GTO. They only have traction issues if the driver has no idea how to drive a RWD vehicle. The WRX definately handles better around corners, but for about 500 bucks you can bolt on some sways and springs and corner right along with a stock rex. Stock, they're much faster than a stock rex, just a little bit faster than a stock STi (power/weight kills the GTO). The transmission sucks compared to the WRX, but there are a few short throw shifters on the market that help. The main thing that I like about the GTO is that you can mod the hell out of it and not need to tune it every time you change something (though it helps). The LS1/2 are much more forgiving with mods than the Subaru motors are.

Overall, the cars are built for different purposes - the WRX/STi is an all around performer - awesome in the turns and more than enough power to beat most things on the street. The GTO is more of a muscle car - AMAZING in the straightaway and from light to light, and awesome top speed (170+ with the speed limiter removed STOCK), but in the corners it's a friggin boat. Each car is bred from a different history - the WRX is rally inspired, the GTO is muscle car inspired - two very different kinds of cars.

Which one is more fun? Hard to decide, really. For me, nothing beats the torque from a LS2, and I prefer to race "old school", that is, in a straight line from a dig. Not to say the GTO can't take turns, but when up agains an STi or Porche, it'll fall behind...that is, until there's another straightaway

Just my .02 from my limited experience.
    good evaluation.

What kinda mileage are you getting?
    2003 SRT-4

Ahh, for a moment there I thought I was back in New Zealand reading a post about the big Aussie tank...

They have great top end (my Father in Law owns a 4 door Version HSV R8 Clubsport) and the thing is pretty scarey when they get going...

An STI will win every time over the 1/4 (and we have the 2.0ltr STIs down there) but a WRX will Struggle...

The Aussies dont have much trouble modding them so thet the IRS handles the power... Do a search for MONARO on google, as that is what they are called "downunder"
    * 1:18.47 Manfield * 11.81 @ 114.7mph *
    ----
    Tuned by
    SPEEDTECH
    ----
    PICS<---->VIDS

Quote Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
    good evaluation.

What kinda mileage are you getting?
    If I REALLY take it easy on the highway I can manage around 30mpg, when I'm scooting around town normally I get around 20, and when I'm driving the hell out of it, around 16.

There's an instant mpg meter on there too, kinda fun to watch it drop from 30mpg in 6th gear to 3mpg (yes, 3) when you go to pass someone at WOT in 3rd or 4th. Well, maybe fun isn't quite the right word....

Most of the time I average around 18-20 though. Considering the same size motors in the 60's coulld barely manage 10mpg, it's not half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM
    The Aussies dont have much trouble modding them so thet the IRS handles the power... Do a search for MONARO on google, as that is what they are called "downunder"
    There's actually a couple of guys doing full Holden conversions to their GTO's here. There's no way to import a real Monaro, but the body parts and trim are somewhat readily available (with some good searching).
    Last edited by Kush; 08-03-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

the GTO is basically traction limited to 13 sec 1/4 mile times without better tires... but once you throw on some sticky tires like drag radials, you're gonna go well into the 12's... bone stock. turbo the SOB and you got a car that'll kill supercars with ease on the freeway for little money... GM was practically giving them away for a while so you couldve gotten the car plus a turbo kit for less than an STi.

the GTO is a different beast, but with some work it is very race worthy... stripped down with a cage and all safety equipment ready to run, we were able to get it to 2700lbs. with a modified TEIN suspension made for the Japanese GTO (Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4), the car was suddenly able to turn. although this was built for drift, so i cannot comment on the straight line traction...

great car though... and strangely problem free, considering it is an american car. a shame its going bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    great car though... and strangely problem free, considering it is an american car. a shame its going bye bye.
    their dumping it? crap I wanted one! I have always liked the new verison, even though most people think they are crap. Owell, guess I will have to get another wrx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast