Subaru WRX Forum banner

Honda CBR 600 F4

19K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  TMSHNKS 
#1 ·
So I am doing my normal drive to work driving spiritedly at around 80mph when I pass a Honda CBR F4 (who must have been doing the speed limit of 65mph or maybe 70). After I pass him I look in my rear view and I don't see him anywhere because he got on his throttle and got in my blind spot. A second later he gets next to me (still doing 80mph) and guns it so I down shift and hit it. By the time we hit around 120 I am still ahead of him but at 130 he started inching by me so I decided to get off the throttle and so did he, I gave him a thumbs up which he he kinda gave me this head shake like "yeah right" so I was like OKKKKKKKKK. Anyway I have a Stage 2 STi but I am untuned and having some top end issues so my question is has anyone ever ran these bikes or know what times they run? I just wanted to know because if I was to run him in the quarter I probably would have beat him by 2 cars or so.

P.S.:The freeway was totally empty other wise I would not have even tried.

#4 ·
BrianH said:
He wasn't racing or it wasn't a 600F4.
I have to agree with BrianH. I have a 98 ZX-7R. Back in the day, this bike could knock off 0 - 100 MPH in 7.2 seconds. A newer CBR-600F4 these days is probably much quicker than that. Just to put into perspective, a current 600cc bike will dip into the high 10's or low 11's @ 124 - 130 MPH. He may have been playing around. I am sure your STi is quick, but most sportbikes are simpy fast.

#5 ·
yeah he left it in high gear. unless it wasn't that bike or he didnt even get on it. my 01 zx600r ninja does high 10s a 130. ull need 450-500whp to keep up with a newer 600. but not all those bike are that fast. older 500 and 600s from the mid early 90s were low 13 high 12sec bikes.

#6 · (Edited)
2004NeonSRT4 said:
yeah he left it in high gear. unless it wasn't that bike or he didnt even get on it. my 01 zx600r ninja does high 10s a 130. ull need 450-500whp to keep up with a newer 600. but not all those bike are that fast. older 500 and 600s from the mid early 90s were low 13 high 12sec bikes.
Also keep in mind he said it's a F4, so it's not exactly a newer 600. They went from the F4 to the F4i, and now the the 600RR.

600cc bike's aren't that fast from 80 mph rolls. From 60 mph, my srt will walk my friends fz6 witch is a low 11'sec @ 120+ mph bike. When the speeds get up over 100 mph there airodynamic's kick them in the ass, and the smaller bikes can't make up for it.

Now the same bike that I can beat from 60, if we race from 40 with him in 1st gear. He'll pull the front tire slightly, and f-ing take off while I sit there spinning. And he'll get some much ground on me before I hook I can't make it up.

How much power is a stg 2 good for? I bet he was on it and you go a ligit win against a bike. Just don't run him from a stop. The slower you start from the more his weight advantage will help him.

#9 ·
Ike said:
You'll be fine, you're in an SRT-4 yo! :rolleyes:

I hope you guys are trapping 120+, because if not you're full of it or are going against very poor riders.
You don't really have to trap that fast to beat a 600cc bike from a roll. They can trap 125 mph in the 1/4 yes, but there running 103 + in the 1/8.

There are plenty of srt's the run mid to high 11's at 121 is mph, but only trap 96 or so in the 1/8, so there gaining 25 mph on the back half. and the bike is only gaining 22 or so. It's that differance that will make them a very good race from a roll. Even though the bike has a full sec on them in the 1/4.

Bike's are about as areodynamic as a brick, and the faster you go, the more it will hurt them. You have a really good chance against a 600cc bike from a 80 mph roll.

#11 ·
My wagon is just about as quick as your S2 Sti and i can tell you i've ridden my cousins CBR 600 and there is no way my wagon is as quick as his 600.

race him without downshifting just like he didn't downshift and you'll get a real result.

#13 ·
My buddy has an sv1000 and raced a Stage 2 sti from a roll... He said from 60-105 he pulled about 7 cars and then he couldn't pull away after that. I don't know how his bike compares to a 600F4, but that's the story from the bikers end...

#15 ·
you just got someone on a bike who can't ride..thats it.. trust me , i got a GSX-R 600 and put a few cars in the rearview and kept them there. you got lucky thats all.

#16 ·
I now have a 2005 zx6r, prev a 1998 zx9r, and i have raced several STI's, WRX's, ricers, etc on the bike. They have never even been close. Even from a roll, a quick downshift or two on the bike and they are well behind. even some of the slowest sports bikes are faster than many of the fasted streetable cars.

G
#18 ·
Yes, bikes are very quick...

People don't realize however how much their acceleration trails off into the triple digits....

At 120, an older 600's acceleration isn't all that much faster than say an STi like car.

If you've ever run into the HIGH speeds with a bike, youll kow that the more the speed rises, the closer its going to be.

I've gone more than once with a cousins F3 well into the triple digits, he pulls TONS before 110,

Start te pull at 100+ he harldly gets away, and gets pulled by more serious sports cars...up there...

G
#19 ·
Yes, they run the 1/4 at 120+ but are drag limited to around 150 for an older 600...

Fomr the top speed, you can get a sense of the aero wall they hit up high...its carxy to see/feel. And if you ride, you CAN feel it...

#20 · (Edited)
schoolloans said:

People don't realize however how much their acceleration trails off into the triple digits....

At 120, an older 600's acceleration isn't all that much faster than say an STi like car.

If you've ever run into the HIGH speeds with a bike, youll kow that the more the speed rises, the closer its going to be.

I've gone more than once with a cousins F3 well into the triple digits, he pulls TONS before 110,

Start te pull at 100+ he harldly gets away, and gets pulled by more serious sports cars...up there...

i dont run my car..or bike over 120mph...that is suicide and unsafe, but puts not only you but anyone else on the road in danger. even at 100mph, there is a huge risk...maybe even more so on a bike because even the smallest road change or irregularity can move the bike in way that can not be corrected.

so i only know how it is compared to initial acceleration and normal highway speed acceleration.

#21 ·
schoolloans said:

At least someone get's it.

They started at 80mph, that bike is already hurting at that speed. Someone mentioned the 0-60 is less than 4 sec. That's probably true, unfortunatly they didn't race from 0-60, witch is the bike's strongest point.

#22 ·
At 80 MPH, you most likely would be at the top of 3rd in a 600. If you twist the throttle open, bye-bye. With a power to weight ratio of 4:1 or 5:1, even with bad aerodynamics the bike has the advantage at that speed.

I dug up an article that tested the popular 600's from 02-03. Of all 4 bikes, they averaged about 16.5 fseconds from 40-120 MPH.

#23 ·
dcpatters said:
At 80 MPH, you most likely would be at the top of 3rd in a 600. If you twist the throttle open, bye-bye. With a power to weight ratio of 4:1 or 5:1, even with bad aerodynamics the bike has the advantage at that speed.

I dug up an article that tested the popular 600's from 02-03. Of all 4 bikes, they averaged about 16.5 fseconds from 40-120 MPH.

More like 6-7:1. That's about a 90-95 hp bike and probably weights about 610-620 lbs with rider. (assuming 430 wet, and 180 rider)

So they run high 10's at 125, and take 16.5 sec. to go from 40-120 mph? I think your making my point, the smaller bike's are weaker from a roll. There light weight helps them get off the line fast as ****, but the faster you go the less wieght matters and the more areodynamic's matter.

#24 ·
racinready300ex said:
More like 6-7:1. That's about a 90-95 hp bike and probably weights about 610-620 lbs with rider. (assuming 430 wet, and 180 rider)

So they run high 10's at 125, and take 16.5 sec. to go from 40-120 mph? I think your making my point, the smaller bike's are weaker from a roll. There light weight helps them get off the line fast as ****, but the faster you go the less wieght matters and the more areodynamic's matter.
you are very correct sir, but isn't the coefficient of friction lower on a bike as compared to a car? I was just wondering about that. Someone can answer that one.

G
#25 · (Edited)
wrxinfx said:
you are very correct sir, but isn't the coefficient of friction lower on a bike as compared to a car? I was just wondering about that. Someone can answer that one.
Not at all...bikes have horrible aero...as expected...

Typical drag coefficient for a sport bike is what .55-.65 ish...give or take a little depending on the bike.

Compare that to .29-.31 for a good car...you can see how the bike hits the wall...

Typically its about double for a bike what a typical car in the same league is...

#26 ·
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/videos/nicvsf4i.wmv 2000 Z28 w/ HCI, gears, and 100 shot vs F4i.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/dougvsf4i.wmv 2000 SS, HCI, 175 shot vs F4i. The cars nitrous wasn't hitting properly in 4th.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/dougvsf4i.wmv - mods in the beginning

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/f4ivsfastangaz.wmv - mods in the title.

The F4i in these videos is an 01 and has some crumby slip-on pipe and is geared one tooth down. It only runs 11.9 @ 118 and put down 101rwhp just like all the other modern 600's.

:sadwave: stgII sti.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.