Subaru WRX Forum banner

Honda CBR 600 F4

19K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  TMSHNKS 
#1 ·
So I am doing my normal drive to work driving spiritedly at around 80mph when I pass a Honda CBR F4 (who must have been doing the speed limit of 65mph or maybe 70). After I pass him I look in my rear view and I don't see him anywhere because he got on his throttle and got in my blind spot. A second later he gets next to me (still doing 80mph) and guns it so I down shift and hit it. By the time we hit around 120 I am still ahead of him but at 130 he started inching by me so I decided to get off the throttle and so did he, I gave him a thumbs up which he he kinda gave me this head shake like "yeah right" so I was like OKKKKKKKKK. Anyway I have a Stage 2 STi but I am untuned and having some top end issues so my question is has anyone ever ran these bikes or know what times they run? I just wanted to know because if I was to run him in the quarter I probably would have beat him by 2 cars or so.

P.S.:The freeway was totally empty other wise I would not have even tried.

#27 · (Edited)
The bike looked old to me, not like 80's old but maybe mide to late 90's. I am guessing the year cause I don't know about honda bikes but the style and colors looked like something from around that time (purple and green). The bike was screaming when he started to inch by me though so I thought he was on it but maybe not. I own a DRZ400S so I have a general idea of what bikes feel like at higher speeds but I have never ridin a sports bike.

#28 ·
heres some info for the people thinking "older" carbed bikes are slow.

hp- 110@12000 rpm
374 lbs
tops out at 161
from bikez.com http://bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f4_2000.php

best site on the net for bike info btw!

say your sti is making 340 cuz its stage 2. so 340hp and 3000+ lbs vs 110 and 400 lbs wet.

it weighs like 1/8th the weight and only a third the power.

if he was in 6th and hit it, that would totally explain. because 80mph on a bike still leaves lots of room before air resistance takes over air resistance. i had a 2003 sv650s and road witha friend who races 600rr, an older F4, older gsxr, etc. the acceleration is like nothing u will ever feel. any bike just pulls so hard. new 600s like the r6 have 130 hp and run fast 1/4s. long story he prob didnt downshift as far as he could have.

#29 ·
after watching the vids... I gotta give props to the cars. Helluva lot of power. That was an 01 up F4i.... I had an 02 and to be honest... It was dog slow in the upper gears. The 0-100 was fast then after that .... ugghh. Then I got the 954rr. I raced that one a lot and alls I can say is that I will not get a 600 after that... well maybe a 600RR i'll take. If i'm geared wrong on an F4i...... an auto chevy cavalier will eat me. Nice vids by the way:cool:

#31 ·
racinready300ex said:
More like 6-7:1. That's about a 90-95 hp bike and probably weights about 610-620 lbs with rider. (assuming 430 wet, and 180 rider)

So they run high 10's at 125, and take 16.5 sec. to go from 40-120 mph? I think your making my point, the smaller bike's are weaker from a roll. There light weight helps them get off the line fast as ****, but the faster you go the less wieght matters and the more areodynamic's matter.
I am only referring to dry weight, just like most do with automobiles. I don't think a CBR 600F will knock down 10's. Most likely mid 11's. As for the 40-120 MPH, was this from 1st or 2nd gear??? I don't know. Anyway, I am glad I am proving your point. :thumbup: I sitll say that bike would whip up on a Stage 2 STi. Props to the Subbie, they are quick.

G
#32 ·
ScstealthVR6 said:
heres some info for the people thinking "older" carbed bikes are slow.

hp- 110@12000 rpm
374 lbs
tops out at 161
from bikez.com http://bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f4_2000.php

best site on the net for bike info btw!

say your sti is making 340 cuz its stage 2. so 340hp and 3000+ lbs vs 110 and 400 lbs wet.

it weighs like 1/8th the weight and only a third the power.

if he was in 6th and hit it, that would totally explain. because 80mph on a bike still leaves lots of room before air resistance takes over air resistance. i had a 2003 sv650s and road witha friend who races 600rr, an older F4, older gsxr, etc. the acceleration is like nothing u will ever feel. any bike just pulls so hard. new 600s like the r6 have 130 hp and run fast 1/4s. long story he prob didnt downshift as far as he could have.
No one on here is saying old bikes, or any bikes for that matter are slow....did you even read the thread???

What we're saying is that after 110+, their acceleration falls off bigtime. Now, 99% of the time, thats way too fast to matter anyway....point is,

at high(er) triple digit speeds, a 600 isn't any faster than a lot of cars....not like it matters because how often are you going 130+...

BTW: If you think your SV650 has acceleration "like nothing you will ever feel"....you need to wake up. The 650 is a good starter bike (and WIDELY know as a starter bike), but actually slow by bike standards...

MANY...repeat...MANY cars can outrun an SV650 after 120...

G
#33 ·
BrianH said:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/videos/nicvsf4i.wmv 2000 Z28 w/ HCI, gears, and 100 shot vs F4i.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/dougvsf4i.wmv 2000 SS, HCI, 175 shot vs F4i. The cars nitrous wasn't hitting properly in 4th.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/dougvsf4i.wmv - mods in the beginning

http://www.turbomustangs.com/carsvsbikes/f4ivsfastangaz.wmv - mods in the title.

The F4i in these videos is an 01 and has some crumby slip-on pipe and is geared one tooth down. It only runs 11.9 @ 118 and put down 101rwhp just like all the other modern 600's.

:sadwave: stgII sti.
Those video's are not what we're talking about though. It takes a MONSTER car to pull a bike from a 40 or 60 MPH roll,

Again, a stage II STi, starting at 120 isn't going to get pulled by a 600...at least not like that...

At the end of each of those video's, when they get to about 110-120, you can see the bike start to hit its wall just before lift-off...

#35 ·
04blkWRX said:
600RR and F4i share the same bottom end. The RR just has a different head and transmission.

IMHO the 600's have plenty of power in the range where sane people drive.
I like the looks of the 600RR better than the F4i... even though the F4i was slightly faster in the quarter. The undertail exhaust turns me on:cool: . And the 600s don't have power in the range where sane people drive.... you gotta rev'em like you hat'em in order to get to the power band... like above 10 grand. And driving in second or third at 60mph to stay in the power band isn't very comfortable. With the 954.... crank it in sixth or click it down one will allow me hit triple digits in no time. With the 600.... drop it three gears and then wait patiently until that magic 3 numbers hit the digital speedo. Too long for me. :)

#36 ·
wrxinfx said:
I like the looks of the 600RR better than the F4i... even though the F4i was slightly faster in the quarter. The undertail exhaust turns me on:cool: . And the 600s don't have power in the range where sane people drive.... you gotta rev'em like you hat'em in order to get to the power band... like above 10 grand. And driving in second or third at 60mph to stay in the power band isn't very comfortable. With the 954.... crank it in sixth or click it down one will allow me hit triple digits in no time. With the 600.... drop it three gears and then wait patiently until that magic 3 numbers hit the digital speedo. Too long for me. :)
in the same boat as you. had my 01 zx6r for a year realized soon after getting it i needed more. my neon felt faster. zx10r for me next.

#37 ·
2004NeonSRT4 said:
in the same boat as you. had my 01 zx6r for a year realized soon after getting it i needed more. my neon felt faster. zx10r for me next.
Yes my man.... the more power the better. But a 10r is ludicrously powered!!!. Be safe man and as I have learned... keep that helmet strapped on no matter what. And ride it like you stole it. haha

#38 ·
You guys that are saying that a 600cc race rep can't hold it's own at higher speeds are crazy. I was on an R6 and a friend of mine in a MKII GTI with VR6t pushing about 280-320whp was racing a turbo civic. They took off and I was pacing the guy in the GTI on a 3 lane highway. at about 80mph I dropped it to 2nd took off. I was at about 140-150 before I stopped and I was still pulling on the GTI. I put about 6-7 -car- lengths on him in that time. If bikes were as bad as you say, then I would have gotten pulled on by a 300hp car at those speeds...

If a bike was so horrible at accelerating in the triple digits, then there would be no way that people would be topping these things out. I had the r6 to about 172 indicated(probably about 155-162mph actual) and was still accelerating. The bike's accelleration didn't start crawling until about 150 some mph.

Theres no way that an 11 second car will out accelerate an 11 second bike in the higher speeds. Mainly because the limiting factor on the launch is traction and the fact that pretty much all race reps cannot use the full power of the engine until atleast 3rd gear without worrying about the front of the bike coming up.

Liter bikes have restrictions of 186 mph and they can do that.

#39 ·
YZFWV said:
You guys that are saying that a 600cc race rep can't hold it's own at higher speeds are crazy. I was on an R6 and a friend of mine in a MKII GTI with VR6t pushing about 280-320whp was racing a turbo civic. They took off and I was pacing the guy in the GTI on a 3 lane highway. at about 80mph I dropped it to 2nd took off. I was at about 140-150 before I stopped and I was still pulling on the GTI. I put about 6-7 -car- lengths on him in that time. If bikes were as bad as you say, then I would have gotten pulled on by a 300hp car at those speeds...

If a bike was so horrible at accelerating in the triple digits, then there would be no way that people would be topping these things out. I had the r6 to about 172 indicated(probably about 155-162mph actual) and was still accelerating. The bike's accelleration didn't start crawling until about 150 some mph.

Theres no way that an 11 second car will out accelerate an 11 second bike in the higher speeds. Mainly because the limiting factor on the launch is traction and the fact that pretty much all race reps cannot use the full power of the engine until atleast 3rd gear without worrying about the front of the bike coming up.

a stock r6 wouldn't accelerate above 160 without bolt ons (with them you'll probably squeeze 2-3mph more)... you just hit the wall... and thats with a 120 lb rider in near perfect conditions..... slight tailwind. I hit 148 gps mapped on my modded F4i in fair weather conditions. My speedometer said 186 on my RR full Jardine exhaust, but gps said I was hitting the wall at 169.. 10-15 mph tailwind and I weigh 125lbs. And doesn't our STI's hit 155 mph top speed? The STI's are teh fastest... just as fast as bikes:p

#40 ·
wrxinfx said:
a stock r6 wouldn't accelerate above 160 without bolt ons (with them you'll probably squeeze 2-3mph more)... you just hit the wall... and thats with a 120 lb rider in near perfect conditions..... slight tailwind. I hit 148 gps mapped on my modded F4i in fair weather conditions. My speedometer said 186 on my RR full Jardine exhaust, but gps said I was hitting the wall at 169.. 10-15 mph tailwind and I weigh 125lbs. And doesn't our STI's hit 155 mph top speed? The STI's are teh fastest... just as fast as bikes:p
The actual top speeds of most modern (03+) 600's are 167. And not indicated, so yes, a stock r6 would do above 160 with out bolt ons.

#41 ·
wrxinfx said:

The guy on the bike must not have been racing, there is no chance the car would beat it or keep up with the bike. I have owned numerous sport bikes and currently own a 2001 suzuki gsxr 750. Bikes are damn fast! Think about it, modern 600 CC 375 lb. sportbikes are putting down around 140HP!

#42 ·
Buddy's 99 CBR F4

I thought my W was fast when i got it back from the Dyno my buddy as a 99 CBR 600 F4 it walked me whichever way i tried, as a fact i remember him throwing his hands up in the air mocking me then ripping away. Bottem line cars dont beat bikes unless your really Fast

#43 · (Edited)
YZFWV said:
The actual top speeds of most modern (03+) 600's are 167. And not indicated, so yes, a stock r6 would do above 160 with out bolt ons.
in perfect conditions. Try and gps yours... honestly have fun trying to reach it. I cracked 169 on my 954RR on a 10 mile straightaway gps'd. The 2 R6's and an F4i were no where to be seen and they were pinned. The GSXR 1000 and the R1 passed me so they were going faster. The 03 R1 not by much... just a crawl... but the Gixxer blazed by!!! I'm not trying to argue but stating REAL Tested facts GPS and experience. I can't wheelie for a mile but I like testing the limits. Honestly.... after testing almost all the 600's.... I like the CBR RR. But I will take a 1000 over any of those. The CBR 1000 or the R1. But for now... the STI rules as it can carry my kids and a trunk full of groceries.

Sorry for the thread jack.

http://www.spdkilz.org/Video-Audio/Corvett...R vs C6.wmv

edit: oh well it worked a minute ago. Gixxer vs supercharged corvette. Rider doesn't know how to ride and gets walked.

#44 ·
06-wrx said:
The guy on the bike must not have been racing, there is no chance the car would beat it or keep up with the bike. I have owned numerous sport bikes and currently own a 2001 suzuki gsxr 750. Bikes are damn fast! Think about it, modern 600 CC 375 lb. sportbikes are putting down around 140HP!
heehee.. I know... I was being sarcastic:)

#45 ·
wrxinfx said:
in perfect conditions. Try and gps yours... honestly have fun trying to reach it. I cracked 169 on my 954RR on a 10 mile straightaway gps'd. The 2 R6's and an F4i were no where to be seen and they were pinned. The GSXR 1000 and the R1 passed me so they were going faster. The 03 R1 not by much... just a crawl... but the Gixxer blazed by!!! I'm not trying to argue but stating REAL Tested facts GPS and experience. I can't wheelie for a mile but I like testing the limits. Honestly.... after testing almost all the 600's.... I like the CBR RR. But I will take a 1000 over any of those. The CBR 1000 or the R1. But for now... the STI rules as it can carry my kids and a trunk full of groceries.

Sorry for the thread jack.

http://www.spdkilz.org/Video-Audio/Corvett...R vs C6.wmv

edit: oh well it worked a minute ago. Gixxer vs supercharged corvette. Rider doesn't know how to ride and gets walked.
One day I too will have to worry about kids and groceries. :whoa: Gues that means I better enjoy my bike while I have it. LOL! Just kidding. My bike is actually for sale. I am sick of taking it out on the hot weekend days to basically sit in traffic and at stop lights. I would rather be in my air conditioned WRX any day of the week. ;)

#46 ·
06-wrx said:

Your #'s for a modern 600 are a bit off. There 375 ish dry, most mag's I've seen put them at 425 wet, and dyno about 108 whp, not 140.

#47 ·
YZFWV said:

You raced a GTI, that should explain it all right there.:rotfl:

It is going to take a pretty fast car to beat a 600 I'll give you that. But people seem to think there unstoppable. And from a roll there not, it's funny how you biker boys get your panties in a bunch over it.

If I got a good pass out of my car on street tires, I'd hope for a low 13 sec 1/4. Yet earlier today, I race a friends 06 GSXR-600, from a 60 mph roll and we were dead even. And I had a passanger with me. I'll give you a hint, it's called traction. And a 3k lbs car with 400ish whp doesn't have any. In my mind there's no way a 11 sec bike will out accel a 11 sec car from a roll due to areo, and traction both are now in the car's favor, and the faster you go the less your weight advantage really maters.

And I'm not buying any of the speeds you posted, as bike's speedo's are way off. Hell the GSXR I raced said his speedo read 148 during the race. I'm pretty sure we only went up to about 120 or so, but I never looked at the speedo.

#48 ·
racinready300ex said:
You raced a GTI, that should explain it all right there.:rotfl:

It is going to take a pretty fast car to beat a 600 I'll give you that. But people seem to think there unstoppable. And from a roll there not, it's funny how you biker boys get your panties in a bunch over it.

If I got a good pass out of my car on street tires, I'd hope for a low 13 sec 1/4. Yet earlier today, I race a friends 06 GSXR-600, from a 60 mph roll and we were dead even. And I had a passanger with me. I'll give you a hint, it's called traction. And a 3k lbs car with 400ish whp doesn't have any. In my mind there's no way a 11 sec bike will out accel a 11 sec car from a roll due to areo, and traction both are now in the car's favor, and the faster you go the less your weight advantage really maters.

And I'm not buying any of the speeds you posted, as bike's speedo's are way off. Hell the GSXR I raced said his speedo read 148 during the race. I'm pretty sure we only went up to about 120 or so, but I never looked at the speedo.

you need to listen to this man he knows what up. one of the few. bikes are uberfast for the cash but arnt unstopable.

check out my thread on kawiforums.com when i was first getting my bike. every site even bike have there fan boys that think there unbeatable. till i posted the link up.

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43097

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=DEDE0E3E-E709-4E57-BF81-2FD9FA76915D

#49 ·
As a bike owner, ZX-7R, I do not claim or even acknowledge my bike is unbeatable. To most stock or modified cars, yeah probably. 2004NeonSRT4, if your 1/4 times are indeed true, and I have no reason to believe they are not, we would probably be crossing the 1/4 mile stripe within the same proximity of each other. This applies to any low 11 second car.

In my opinion, this thread has kind of grown out of proportion. My doubt was that a CBR 600 got beat by a Stage2 STi. BrianH posted some good videos that say otherwise.

#51 ·
I have to agree that after 130 my bike really slows on the acceleration. I think a fast car can beat my R6.......but who starts a race at 130:confused: My R6 did a 10.1 on the dyno drags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.