Drove the new Mustang GT
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Drove the new Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This was the updated one that is now 300 hp approx. Pulling off the dealer's lot and doing stop and ...

Banned

Drove the new Mustang GT

This was the updated one that is now 300 hp approx.

Pulling off the dealer's lot and doing stop and go in 1st gear was terrible. This is a brand new car with an ostensibly modern manual transmission and the clutch catch was terrible. Going down the long stretches was fairly fun. Though the car is fast on paper, it feels like you're not moving anywhere, probably because the car is so heavy with 2 men, a v8, and a large coupe body.

My opinion, not worth the $27,000 it costs by any stretch. The transmission was terrible (to think that people criticise the WRX's manual is tough to accept given all the other cars out there that have it far worse like this one). The car had an in-board fuel calculator. When we brought the car back to the lot (after only 8 miles travel approx.) it had eaten 2.9 gal!!! I know I drove the thing with a heavy foot the whole trip but given the same circumstances with my WRX, it does not consume this much!!

Only good point, lots of thrust at low rpm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, but the GT's transmission doesn't have a glass jaw like the WRX's. The newer GT's are more refined, that's probably why you don't feel the speed. But they are quick cars no doubt about it. As for the on-board fuel calculation, this is most likely based on the way the car was just driven.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    Yeah, but the GT's transmission doesn't have a glass jaw like the WRX's.
    The "glass jaw" was only with the earlier (2002-ish) 5MTs.

I am happy for Ford - it seems they have a winner and a good seller. They seem to be all over.

Power to weight ratio-wise my stage 2 2004 WRX has the GT beat.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

my buddy has an 05 GT

they are nothing special when stock. the DBW really screws around with the power and its tuned to run on 87 octane and make 300hp.

the day my friend bought his, he drove it off the lot and took it to get SCT tuned. the car turned into a completely different animal

last time we took it to the track, the mods on the car were magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, intake, tune, and slicks/skinnies. at LACR(a slow track) it ran 13.1 with a slipping clutch

in another month its going to be turbocharged
    Anthony

I like the new GT alot. Good performance for the money.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

I like the gt's...minus the interiors.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    I like the gt's...minus the interiors.
    Really?!? I think it's better than previous years. The shifter is placed better too! Longer wheel base so there's a little more room in back.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

you also have to take into account that the clutch needs a few 100 miles to break in. I drove a "display model" that had about 2000 miles on it and it seemed fine to me...it was also lighter than the WRX clutch.

I'm not sure why so many people complain about the DBW. All subarus are not ALSO DBW, including the sti's. from what I hear, a CAI and a tune really makes a beast out of it...and gets you about 300WHP...on 87 octane California gas.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    Really?!? I think it's better than previous years. The shifter is placed better too! Longer wheel base so there's a little more room in back.
    Ohh, I definitely agree that they are better than before, but I have yet to find a domestic car w/ an interior that I'm really pleased with. The mustang's is very plasticy/clunky to me. Feels cheap to me IMO.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

I Support ClubWRX
    Niggling here ... the gauges are too retro. They seem hard to read. Being able to change the colors is a really cool feature.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Ohh, I definitely agree that they are better than before, but I have yet to find a domestic car w/ an interior that I'm really pleased with. The mustang's is very plasticy/clunky to me. Feels cheap to me IMO.
    Cheap? The Impreza interior sceams cheap.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Evo too.

Oh, I understand now. If I had to choose between the Domestic's though, I would say Ford has the edge. No matter what GM I have been in, I know it's GM, same for Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    But, it feels solid at least. I didn't get the same fealing in the GT. I seemed like it all felt "hollow", I don't know how else to describe it. It's the only drawback IMO (which isn't that bad), and it's nothing near as bad as the SRT-4's interior
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

I Support ClubWRX
    But, it feels solid at least.
    Might be right. At nearly 24K miles I do not have a single rattle or squeak. This is with the stiff v.7 STi suspension installed when new.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-02-2006 at 05:33 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast