Drove the new Mustang GT - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Drove the new Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex You don't intend to do any exhaust work? Does that do much for the new ...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    You don't intend to do any exhaust work?

Does that do much for the new stangs? I know with most of the previous generations doing a headers, xpipe/hpipe, catback make some pretty decent power. However, that would be expensive, especially the headers.

The stock stang exhaust is nothing to write home about though... so I would def. add a catback to that just for the pure sex sounds that is associated with a Mustang.
    I just don't want it to be loud. I've had enough loud exhaust on my WRX. it sounds great, but I just want some quiet for now...

as for the CAI, apparently on the new mustangs it's huge. There's some kind of restrictive "filter" in the intake hose (aside from the regular air filter), so for the most part, you're just removing all that crap and replacing it with one air filter. This causes all kinds of MAF sensor problems and can sometimes cause the ECU to go into "limp mode". For this reason, most 05+ Mustang CAI's come with the CAI and reflash. With all other things being stock, the CAI and reflash will get you a tick over 300 WHP, so yeah, that's a pretty significant gain....about 20-25 whp....from what I've been able to gather by reading other forums, you end up with about 300-305 whp and 320-325 wtq, and it still runs on 87 octane.

I actually felt really stupid going to a mustang forum and asking "which CAI should I get?"...but apparently that's a very fair question in the Mustang world. And the answer is C&L seems to have a pretty good combination produc....CAI and reflash for about $750.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Some advice from a mustang guy

I would recommend holding off and getting a supercharger. You'll get a lot further taking a few big steps than a bunch of smaller ones. The mustang aftermarket is huge, and there are a lot of $200 mods that do little or nothing and can add up to thousands of dollars in no time. Its wiser to take that money and go forced induction. Forced induction will give you the biggest HP gain per dollar, and people have been putting blowers on mustangs for ever. A blower, intercooler and some fuel upgrades put me at 450 rwhp and running 11 sec quarter miles at 120+. It makes my Evo feel slow -even from 0-60. Had the blower on since 1999 with no issues. I've also passed state inspection/emissions in PA as well as MD.

Nitrous is another good option for mustangs -you can have factory/daily driver reliability and then turn the car into a 400 hp monster at the flip of a switch. And you can probably get a nitrous kit for similar or less money than the CAI you're thinking of getting.

Time is another important factor. The longer you wait, the easier is it to go faster. This is because the mustang aftermarket grows quickly and people figure out more ways to go faster for cheaper.

Sorry for the novel

Good Luck
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Don't really like the new Mustangs that much. I would much prefer an LS2 Goat.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

one of my good friends has an 05 mustang gt with intake, exhaust, flash, and 4.10 gears and he runs 13.0 at like 108 at the strip. he has the k&n intake and he says it was crucial. his 4.10 gears make 1st gear almost undriveable in daily commutes though. he also just ordered headers. he's making about 310 whp right now and with headers will be closer to like 340 or something. if you have any questions, pm me and i'll get answers for you.
    Shawn Williams
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

Quote Originally Posted by maverick62585
    one of my good friends has an 05 mustang gt with intake, exhaust, flash, and 4.10 gears and he runs 13.0 at like 108 at the strip. he has the k&n intake and he says it was crucial. his 4.10 gears make 1st gear almost undriveable in daily commutes though. he also just ordered headers. he's making about 310 whp right now and with headers will be closer to like 340 or something. if you have any questions, pm me and i'll get answers for you.
    13.0 @ 108mph is pretty unimpressive for a V8 running intake/exhaust/tune/gears.

I know that is why they typically run, which why the new stang does not impress me all that much.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG
    A blower, intercooler and some fuel upgrades put me at 450 rwhp and running 11 sec quarter miles at 120+. It makes my Evo feel slow -even from 0-60. Had the blower on since 1999 with no issues. I've also passed state inspection/emissions in PA as well as MD.

So you have been running a blower with 400whp+ since 1999 (6/7 years) with no issues!

That is very impressive. I know a lot of people throw s/c's on their 99-04 mustangs, and now i know why!
    Just call me Clark Kent

I love mine... but then ya'll knew that... I love it more now that I am home to drive it... of course, it is in my garage right now with the hood up, battery unhooked, and the center console dis-assembled, (Pioneer AVIC-Z1 getting installed)... I still have to remove the passenger seat to install the XM Navtraffic module...

Axelbacks on the 05+ don't net any gains, they are just for sound, (I have SLP Powerflows on mine, they sound very nice). The real gains come from long tube headers and a catless x or h pipe. I have niether as I am trying to stay emissions legal. I will shortly be putting that to the test when I order the Saleen blower in a few days. These 05+ are very computer sensitive, so the tune is vital. I have the C+L CAI that Blarg refferred to, that with the 93 octane performance tune really woke the car up. But the real performance is, (as always) in a dyno tune. Fortunately, it is easier to find a RWD dyno than an AWD one... unfortunately, it is hard sometimes to find a tuner that know what he is doing.

And before someone thinks I am ignoring the Scooby, I have 2 boxes with "Tein" on them sitting next to all the Mustang parts... just waiting for the boxes that say "Whiteline" to get here...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

there IS an 87 octane C&L reflash, right?
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    there IS an 87 octane C&L reflash, right?
    I certainly think so!
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by BoostJunkie21

but they're so heavy....
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

Quote Originally Posted by friedricer
    but they're so heavy....
    They are... and they handle pretty crappy as well, but in respect to the Mustang GT's numbers there is not that much a difference.

Both retain nearly identical weight distribution, both have slalom speeds ranging from 62-64mph, and both have skidpad #'s ranging from .83-.86

However, in each test the mustang does come out very slightly ahead.
    Just call me Clark Kent

What does an LS2 GTO go for these days. Are they into the low to mid 30's? Nothing wrong with having a 400 HP factory hot rod.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Quote Originally Posted by friedricer
    but they're so heavy....
    And yet they hit low 13's out the showroom, plus their aftermarket is so much broader than the Mustangs. For nearly the same price as a Mustang GT, I would prefer this.
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

And yet they hit low 13's out the showroom, plus their aftermarket is so much broader than the Mustangs. For nearly the same price as a Mustang GT, I would prefer this.
    they're not "nearly" the same price as a Mustang GT, they run about $5000 more. that's a good 20% higher. My problems with it:

1) its an import posing as an American muscle car.
    2) bland styling
    3) The GTO attracts boys (same problem as the WRX), the Mustang attracts girls.
    4) looks nothing like the original GTO, yet drives almost exactly like one...in other words, decent for a car that was built 30 years ago, but unacceptable for a car build today.
    5) out of the showroom, they're appear to be set up to run 13's, but only in straight lines...they just don't turn.
    6) the chasis/technology goes all the way back to the Cadillac Catera.
    7) its an otherwise mediocre car with an LS2 motor.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-09-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    they're not "nearly" the same price as a Mustang GT, they run about $5000 more. that's a good 20% higher. My problems with it:

1) its an import posing as an American muscle car.
    2) bland styling
    3) The GTO attracts boys (same problem as the WRX), the Mustang attracts girls.
    4) looks nothing like the original GTO, yet drives almost exactly like one...in other words, decent for a car that was built 30 years ago, but unacceptable for a car build today.
    5) out of the showroom, they're appear to be set up to run 13's, but only in straight lines...they just don't turn.
    6) the chasis/technology goes all the way back to the Cadillac Catera.
    7) its an otherwise mediocre car with an LS2 motor.
    1) I don't see anything wrong with it.
    2) Opinion. I personally think the new Mustangs look bland.
    3) Well thats because Mustangs are for girls don't ya think lol?
    4) I really don't think its as bad as you say.
    5) Right, and the Mustang does? LOL
    6) Won't argue with that.
    7) You could put that motor in a Pinto, I would still take it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast