New Freaking Flash: Your Grand Am GT is NOT a Sports Car. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Freaking Flash: Your Grand Am GT is NOT a Sports Car. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Gator I was not aiming my post at you or anyone in particular. I just think that drag racing from ...

Roll racing

Gator I was not aiming my post at you or anyone in particular. I just think that drag racing from a roll is silly. Its an invention of the streets, a form of handicap racing. Why not just say give me a 3 car headstart? Or don't leave the start line till I am x amount of time or carlengths ahead of you. Simply put its an admission that you are driving a car that is a slug off the line. Again I am not aiming this at you or your car. But look at what it is for what it is. Our cars have AWD that makes much more traction While FWD simply sux for traction. Would any prostock racer ask his oponent to remove his drag slicks and run OE tires to make it a fair race? The WRX is not a drag car but it can do it well but it does most things well in almost any driving conditions you will ever encounter thats why I own one. If I had a better Job I might own a Pontiac T/A (my first car was a 73 Gran Prix SJ)or an 03 cobra. 2 cars that drag race very well. It can be hard to build a car that does everything VERY well but I think my WRX comes closer than anything else that I can afford. I have not raced a GTP but I have raced a Montecarlo SS. I won by more than a car length shut off around 70ish under the next light. I am completely stock except for KDWS tires. I am no drag racer. I think i suck at lauching this thing. Have you heard that Dodge has a new RWD Hemi Charger in the works for 04? Look out you 03 Cobra Drivers! Similar HP but NA! Read it on C&D or MT. No more intrepid. This is the time to own a car and not an SUV!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have not raced a GTP but I have raced a Montecarlo SS

Ahhh no forced induction I am about a second faster.
    Yes I have read about the new Dodge's and talk about a company getting their performance ducks in a row. And it is a great time to be a CAR LOVER
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

I own you all in my SHO. I have done it against both WRXs and GTPs. Mind you I also have enough modds to take down S2000s with mild modds. I have also raced and beat C5s from a stop, all about the driver skills. And, no it was not one of those he didn't know we were racing. It was him saying I saw you beat my friends modded M3 and I know he is fast so why don't we give it a try. Needless to say it all boiled down to I got traction and he didn't.
    It got here.

I own you all in my SHO.
    No you don't I haven't raced any sho's
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by STI on order
    I own you all in my SHO. I have done it against both WRXs and GTPs. Mind you I also have enough modds to take down S2000s with mild modds. I have also raced and beat C5s from a stop, all about the driver skills. And, no it was not one of those he didn't know we were racing. It was him saying I saw you beat my friends modded M3 and I know he is fast so why don't we give it a try. Needless to say it all boiled down to I got traction and he didn't.
    Because you forgot it at the end.

"SIKE"

I own a 2000 Grand Am GT coupe... black w/chrome wheels...

I own a 2002 Impreza WRX sedan... blue w/silver wheels...

I like them both... the WRX kills the GAGT in handling/acceleration... however the GAGT runs like a champ... handles well AND has better brakes than a stock WRX has.

Motortrend wrote that the GAGT has probably the best brakes you can get for under $30k... strong statement. But, I tend to agree... it does brake VERY well and the pedal is strong and firm.

Steering is abit numb,....actually real numb after owning a WRX. Actually I thought the car handled great until I bought a WRX. Anyway, see, the GAGTs have Magnasteer... one of those trickle down gimmick technologies from Cadillac... basically its variable effort steering based on vehicle speed... go slow, steering effort is EASY... go fast, and it firms up considerably... neat, but for me... ehh...

Anyway, given that the GAGT is giving up 52hp (175 vs 227) and cant be had in manual form... it still performs respectively.... quarter mile times range from 15.5-15.9 @ 85-88mph....

Torque on the otherhand is pretty abundant.... @ 205 vs the WRXs 217.... granted its a 3.4 V6, nonetheless.... drive along @ 35 mph... and punch the gas and the baby kicks down hard!! torque steer everywhere.... kinda cool....

In terms of interior... hmmm... the Grand Am GT feels more solid (and MUCH roomier!!).... plus I have leather, sunroof, steering wheel radio controls, electric trunk release, automatic headlights, abundance of warning lights (ie- low traction, low washer fluid, change oil...), electronic traction control, VERY nice sounding audio set-up for stock, better carpet/mats, power driver seat w/lumbar, and 5.... thats right 5 cupholders...

Theres more... but I wont bore you... in the long run I would rather have my GAGT on a trip (although its a bit of a pisser when you run into something that'd be a good run for the REX), but I love my WRX and drive it daily.

As for the Grand Am GT not being a sports car... well thats ok, neither is the WRX though...

In regards to the GTP... I was about to buy one before I ordered my WRX (looking into an SLP GTX actually)... test drove a few actually...in all they do not feel like a car with 240hp and 280ft.lbs!!

With a pulley and an intake I have witnessed the GM Supercharged Series II 3800 run mid 13s in quarter @ 100+mph... however in stock form they do not feel fast... and without a manual version.... ugh. They also feel sooo heavy... I mean my Grand Am for example weights 50lbs more than the WRX... you would think it was 500lbs more... the GTP gave ME very much the same feeling, dare I say worse....

BTW- GM has experimented with a Supercharged Grand Am GT, they had a concept called the SC/T I think.... they were considering making it the next GTO... 258 hp and with a 5spd... that is until Bob Lutz decided to bring over the Holden Monaro over for that duty... oh well... if anyone saw the concept... it was a VERY cool looking car!!

def
    Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 12-10-2002 at 10:49 AM.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

I Support ClubWRX
    The Grand AM certainly doesn't have more front passenger room. My wife's father drives a Grand AM SE, which as far as I can see is a Grand AM GT with 5 less HP! The front passenger seat is so narrow! What's that all about?
    2010 SSM STI

the Grand Am SE mechanically is down 5 hp, 10 ft/lbs and given much less aggressive final drive ratio compared to the GT... which BTW is enough to whoop up on any SE from redlight to redlight...

also... the GAGT tops out at a healthy 130mph... electronically limited.... the speedo is a bit exagerated to the tune of 150 mph... but hey, it looks cool...

the SE body (cladding) isnt as relatively clean as the GT model is... the SE had more ribs (new ones have none)... web like pattern over the tail lights and in general looks like butt... imo.

The front passenger seat is so narrow!
    huh? we talking about the same car? the passenger side has the same room as the driver side... if theres a narrow anything... its the WRX seats... as for leg room... I can fully stretch out in my GAGT... theres no ECU in the flor board taken up 2 inches+ leg room.... the Grand Ams seats could be alittle more supportive laterally.... but beyond that, it is a VERY comfortable car regardless where you sit... front, back, passenger or driver...

but I love my WRX... I look past these things...

def
    Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 12-10-2002 at 11:51 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    All I can say is my wife's father has a Grand am SE 2002 and the passenger front seat is definitely narrower. Oh, and for argument's sake, I'll just say the WRX is a far better drive. The seating position is better for driving.
    2010 SSM STI

Is this a Pontiac Grand Am? If so - it looks pretty darned nice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gam.jpg  
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

yep... its the grand am hotwheels concept:

http://www.n-body.net/gallery/

also in that link is the new '03 SE and the supercharged SC/T concept from 2 years ago...

The SC/T visually is basically a '99-'02 GAGT with a front lip, different rims and a cool hood... and bold paint...

http://www.n-body.net/gallery/images...003-SCT-01.jpg

def

All I can say is my wife's father has a Grand am SE 2002 and the passenger front seat is definitely narrower. Oh, and for argument's sake, I'll just say the WRX is a far better drive. The seating position is better for driving.
    Agreed the WRX is a much better drivers car... but for comfort... a gotta say on the long haul I would go with the GAGT. I have done 3-4 hour road trips in both... and I am not a small guy, 5'11", 230lbs.... I fit great in both cars too (driver & passenger)... however over those long drives I have been more comfortable in the GAGT.

Which one would I rather drive? Still probably the WRX

def

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm...I think I'd take the WRX for a long drive over the GAGT. I'm 6'5, 200 lbs
    2010 SSM STI

to each his own... I own both and felt that I had some pretty good experience with both...

had the GAGT for almost 3 years (feb) w/43k miles (bought new, special order) and the WRX for almost 2 years (mar) w/41k miles (bought new, special order)...

but yeah... like I said, I'll take the WRX regardless (notice the milage variance between the 2)

def

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Hmm...I think I'd take the WRX for a long drive over the GAGT. I'm 6'5, 200 lbs
    OMG! Eat something! A doughnut, a cupcake, sheesh! Damn you make me feel fat! You're 8" taller than me and only 35 pounds heavier. That's < 4lbs. per inch.

On-topic: Apples and Oranges.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast