Forester XT > 01 Mustang GT
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Forester XT > 01 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally had a chance to put on my up/dp/bc on my XT a couple of weeks ago. It transformed ...

Forester XT > 01 Mustang GT

I finally had a chance to put on my up/dp/bc on my XT a couple of weeks ago. It transformed my XT even more so than my old WRX. Anyways, a friend of mine who owns a Cobalt SS came into town and asked me how the mods did for the car. I asked him to drive it. It was about 12:30 a.m. so there was no traffic. As we get on the road we see a semi newer model GT pass by. My friend catches up and we meet up at a light. I told my friend to rev to 3500 and ease out when light turns. The GT threw a rev at us and the light turned. There was only about a 100 yds to the next light but the GT driver didn't appreciate us launching on him like that. He starts reving like crazy and easing up at the light. I told my friend to take it to 4g and drop it. Light turns green and we instantly get 2 cars and just keep pulling on him. We shut down at 80 and the GT driver did a ricer fly-bye. First race in the XT and I wasn't even driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no surprise there. forester xt = 06 WRX in most acceleration runs, and will beat older WRX's.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Nice. The XT does pull hard down low. If the bc stands for boost controller, i'd definatley think about getting some engine mangement if I were you. It's an expensive engine.
    05 FXT
    Perrin Up-pipe
    Cobb turbo back
    Protuned by sub racing

Thats what everybody has been telling me. Im only running 12psi right now so I don't think that will hurt anything

Quote Originally Posted by ttownxt
    Thats what everybody has been telling me. Im only running 12psi right now so I don't think that will hurt anything
    good man. remember, all a boost controller does is "trick" the wastegate into seeing less boost than there actually is. so the ECU sends less fuel than what is needed, and not only do you run lean, but your EGT's go way up.

with a full blown ECU upgrade, all components are working together in harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    good man. remember, all a boost controller does is "trick" the wastegate into seeing less boost than there actually is. so the ECU sends less fuel than what is needed, and not only do you run lean, but your EGT's go way up.

with a full blown ECU upgrade, all components are working together in harmony.
    +1 Even though at 12psi he should be fine...get a Cobb AP FTW!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    +1 Even though at 12psi he should be fine...get a Cobb AP FTW!
    +2
    05 FXT
    Perrin Up-pipe
    Cobb turbo back
    Protuned by sub racing

Just curious....You had your friend "drop" the clutch? I was under the impression that dropping the clutch was a sure fire way to end up with shards of metal instead of a tranny. The tires on our AWD cars won't spin very easily due to the large amount of grip so there is no way for the excess energy to be let out of the system, it just ends up stressing the gears. I don't know how strong the forester tranny is, but if its anything like the 5MT trannies in the wrx's it will break after continued harsh use. I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but from now on I would ease the clutch out instead of dropping it and if I'm wrong, then I"m a d!ck
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

i'm not gonna tell people not to dump their clutch. it's their car. i *will* tell people not to blame Subaru if it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Icysheet
    Just curious....You had your friend "drop" the clutch? I was under the impression that dropping the clutch was a sure fire way to end up with shards of metal instead of a tranny. The tires on our AWD cars won't spin very easily due to the large amount of grip so there is no way for the excess energy to be let out of the system, it just ends up stressing the gears. I don't know how strong the forester tranny is, but if its anything like the 5MT trannies in the wrx's it will break after continued harsh use. I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but from now on I would ease the clutch out instead of dropping it and if I'm wrong, then I"m a d!ck
    Yep, dropping the clutch hits the drivetrain really hard, and is not a good idea. But stock clutches are usually a little weaker so that they'll slip/burn/etc which protects the tranny and diff to a degree. Even so, replacing a clutch isn't exactly cheap.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    This is totally wrong. It's "info" like this that keeps most Subaru owners terrified to do any mod whatsoever without an accompanying $600+ tune.

The MBC does "trick" the wastegate into seeing less boost. So does the stock setup, as the wastegate only needs 5-6 psi to open. Any form of boost control delays this.

The ECU DOES know exactly how much air is coming in at all times. It's called a mass air sensor for a reason, and the ECU does not ignore it at any point. The stock maps are plenty conservative for a few extra psi.

People blow engines with MBCs because they get too greedy with the boost, and because they don't log to see what's happening. I've run my Legacy GT at 17 psi for almost 2 years now without a single issue. I have the EcuTek logger too, and I consider it money well spent. No ECU mods whatsoever.

Don't even get me started on the PTFB scare. That's another "sky is falling" crock I enjoy laughing at. "Oh noes - my turbo car is accelerating without having to go full WOT! Help! Someone delay all this power! I need VTEC!"

People said I was going to blow up within a week, then within a month, then "soon", then finally they gave up and decided maybe I might be more right than they thought.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by ttownxt
    I finally had a chance to put on my up/dp/bc on my XT a couple of weeks ago. It transformed my XT even more so than my old WRX. Anyways, a friend of mine who owns a Cobalt SS came into town and asked me how the mods did for the car. I asked him to drive it. It was about 12:30 a.m. so there was no traffic. As we get on the road we see a semi newer model GT pass by. My friend catches up and we meet up at a light. I told my friend to rev to 3500 and ease out when light turns. The GT threw a rev at us and the light turned. There was only about a 100 yds to the next light but the GT driver didn't appreciate us launching on him like that. He starts reving like crazy and easing up at the light. I told my friend to take it to 4g and drop it. Light turns green and we instantly get 2 cars and just keep pulling on him. We shut down at 80 and the GT driver did a ricer fly-bye. First race in the XT and I wasn't even driving.

When I race from a stop a 2-3k slip seems good enough. You have to remember that when you reach 60, many cars will stop because they are loosing to a wagon/suv. I dropped the clutch once at 4500 rpms and I actually do better with the 2-3k slip. That is just me though.

I like to "slip" the clutch when I "race". I let up enuf to allow the wheels to start moving then apply full throttle and let up the rest of the way real fast. The tires chirp and the car goes like crazy! If I snatch 2nd I can get it to chirp sometimes as well.

But I rarely "race" and try not to dog out my car too much. It could take alot mroe than I dish out to it but I prefer to keep it a lil safer.

From what I know how to launch an AWD car, it's just a very aggressive slip. Basically I bring the clutch to a point where it will very slightly begin to grab to remove all slack from the tranny (the initial shock is the worst when you don't do this, I do this like a second before I launch), then do a very aggressive slip. Dunno how else to explain it.
    2000 SRP 2.5RS - Cobb CAI, Tanabe Medallion Exhaust, Borla Headers - Up next: Screw N/A, going swap...EJ207/K/G! (Whatever I can get my hands on...)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.