04 WRX vs Mustang GT? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 WRX vs Mustang GT? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX There's some truth to the notion that older Porsches could be a handful, but you have ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    There's some truth to the notion that older Porsches could be a handful, but you have to go waaay back to the short-wheelbase cars of the '60's to really see it. Any remotely recent 911 (964, 993, 996, 997) is generally regarded as a neutral, easy-to-handle car.
    how about this:

any Porsche that *I* could afford would suffer from this problem.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    how about this:

any Porsche that *I* could afford would suffer from this problem.
    Not buying it. You're "single", now, so your disposable income just doubled.
    You can pick up an early 996 in the low-mid $30K's if you shop around, and if you're willing to have a car with a few miles on it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Not buying it. You're "single", now, so your disposable income just doubled.
    You can pick up an early 996 in the low-mid $30K's if you shop around, and if you're willing to have a car with a few miles on it.
    my budget is $25k and I DO NOT want a car with any miles on it.

...and my disposable income did NOT double. She may have had her problems, but the was certainly not a gold-digger I had to support. She paid her own way. If anything, my disposable income will be lower now because we were splitting expenses like rent, utilities, and cell phone. I'm going to lose my multi-car insurance discount too.
    Last edited by blarg; 06-29-2006 at 07:05 PM.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    my budget is $25k and I DO NOT want a car with any miles on it.

...and my disposable income did NOT double. She may have had her problems, but the was certainly not a gold-digger I had to support. She paid her own way. If anything, my disposable income will be lower now because we were splitting expenses like rent, utilities, and cell phone. I'm going to lose my multi-car insurance discount too.
    I was just kiddin' around. I don't even want to think about what kind of car I could afford if I was sans wife and kids. Sheesh.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I was just kiddin' around. I don't even want to think about what kind of car I could afford if I was sans wife and kids. Sheesh.
    no kidding! if I had kids right now, I'd be driving a Yugo...and an older model one at that. Of course that would partly be due to the fact that'd I'd be hoping that I get killed.
    go f*** yourself

So are Porsches Ferarris and Vipers.
    i agree with this. come on guys, Vipers are notoriously hard to drive. even if you can drive one perfectly, you're still sitting in a sauna, and the scalding hot door sills will burn your leg right off. that thing is a monster that you have to tame, not a sports car.

Ferrari's, to this day, are extremely twitchy at the limit. maybe Cavalino better chime in on this, but everything from the Carrera GT to the F430 will shake its ass like a stripper as soon as you hit 10/10th's. you better know what you're doing.

Porsche's rear drive bias gives you a pendulum effect. if you panic brake around a corner, that ass starts coming around, like any other car. unlike other cars though, there's the momentum of a 400lb engine that you have to stop. unless you mash the gas, which is completely counterintuitive for a n00b, it's not happening, and you're in a ditch.

but Ray is right. the modern 911's don't do this. they started becoming too popular at some point, and too many n00bs were buying them. Porsche had no choice but to play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    As for having the motor and tranny in the rear they do this for several reasons. See, by having a weight distribution that is irregularly bias to the rear they are able to eliminate driveshaft bulk, create better traction, and largly reduce nose dives under hard breaking. Now normally this would all be at the sacrifice of handling, however one of the things that makes porsche so incredible is that they still retain some of the best cornering cars in the world with that type of setup. In fact, the rear setup allows for better acceleration out of the corners due to higher traction capabilities.
    good point about the braking. notice on a 911 that all four rotors are the same diameter. yup, no front brake bias for this one.

you left out benchmark steering feel. there's practically nothing between the steering rack and the hub assemble. there's no weight over the front axle either, so you don't need that much assist. the steering wheel sings in your hands better than Pavarotti.

you're also right about the high traction capabilities, but you also get severe wheel hop on a launch, for the same reason a front-engine, FWD car gets severe wheel hop on a launch.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 06-29-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Love the info guys, and to answer what kind of mustangs I was mostly talking about is the type that are crap that you see the little kids in drinving around with their automatic **** with a big fart can on it thinking its fast....I know not to try beating the big v8's from the roll I was just wondering how'd itd be going up aganist them on the streets from about 0-60 or through 2nd about. I thought the rex would have more of a chance. Thanks guys very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Rpence99
    I thought the rex would have more of a chance.
    now that we're thoroughly done bashing it, with a good launch (if you're willing to do that), the WRX is an extremely fast car 0-80mph IMO. whether it gets beaten or not, it will not disappoint most power junkies out there.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

you can turn it off...maybe he doesn't know how?

trac. control will help you hook up better, but if you want to run the numbers Ford claims, you can't rely on the computer to do it for you....you have to learn to launch it yourself. Basically, trac. control applies the brakes and pulls power when your wheels start to spin...sure that's "extra" power you're not using anyway, but you lose some momentum...better to just learn to lauch right.
    well hmm. i guess american car buyers arent to smart these days then. i was told it was in the computers from the trucks setup and the only way to lose it was a chip/ECU controller.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    well hmm. i guess american car buyers arent to smart these days then. i was told it was in the computers from the trucks setup and the only way to lose it was a chip/ECU controller.
    I'm confused, what truck?

The TCS on the Mustang is a big button labeled, (anyone have a guess?) "TCS"... when it is lit, it is off. It defaults to being on/functional when you start the car.

You CAN disable the TCS via the computer, but you have to go through the same process to turn it back on, not worth it IMHO, (and not something you can do with a handheld tuner).
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav

The TCS on the Mustang is a big button labeled, (anyone have a guess?) "TCS"... when it is lit, it is off. It defaults to being on/functional when you start the car.

You CAN disable the TCS via the computer, but you have to go through the same process to turn it back on, not worth it IMHO, (and not something you can do with a handheld tuner).
    that was one of the first things the dealer showed me...the big button that disables TCS. He was really trying to get me excited over the idea of doing burnouts.

The second thing he showed me was how you can change the color of the dashboard...its cool, but its certainly not a selling point. Guess it shows how most people buy cars though.

He got a little flustered when I pointed out that even though you can change the dash color, you can't change the radio/HVAC control color or the color of all the controls/indicators that aren't on the dash.
    go f*** yourself

Yeah, there are several folks who wish it had been included. AFAIK though, the MyColor option is discontinued for 07. I have it, along with the rest of the UIP. It's cool to play with and impress the ladies with your sensitivity...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Yeah, there are several folks who wish it had been included. AFAIK though, the MyColor option is discontinued for 07. I have it, along with the rest of the UIP. It's cool to play with and impress the ladies with your sensitivity...
    wait...so they discontinued the color dash, made the 3.55 rear axle EXTRA, raised the price of the IUP, and STILL charge $2000 more for the car? That's just BS. So what color is the dash now?

I don't think they actually improved anything on the car...so maybe I'll have to hope that I can still get a 2006 with all the options I want in November.

-edit-

according to KBB, Intellichioce, and Edmunds, MyColor is still available in 2007...not that its a huge deal.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-01-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    go f*** yourself

people heavily mis-informed me . i hope they burn. now i have a diffrent view on the idiots that (cant) drive them

wait...so they discontinued the color dash, made the 3.55 rear axle EXTRA, raised the price of the IUP, and STILL charge $2000 more for the car? That's just BS. So what color is the dash now?

I don't think they actually improved anything on the car...so maybe I'll have to hope that I can still get a 2006 with all the options I want in November.
    I will talk to my brother. He works for Ford. If there are changes, he will know. He has a '06 Roush and I know for sure they do not have the color instrument lighting because they come equipped with white face guages.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast