06 Stage 2 WRX vs Evo IX
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 Stage 2 WRX vs Evo IX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Today I raced this guy I know in his mostly stock evo IX (Blow off valve). I have a bosal ...

06 Stage 2 WRX vs Evo IX

Today I raced this guy I know in his mostly stock evo IX (Blow off valve). I have a bosal downpipe and racepipe bolted to the stock cat back and cobb stage 2. I figured he would win but i wasn't sure by how much. We decided to go at it from a 15 mph roll so on three beeps we go, and i pulled on him slightly. He started to pull on me at the end of my first all the way through third. Nothig major, just a slow walk. It was fun. No trash talking afterwards. He said that he was amazed that i car that cost 8k less than his could just about keep up. Just sharing my experience. Enjoy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice...It's always good to know you can keep up.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    Today I raced this guy I know in his mostly stock evo IX (Blow off valve). I have a bosal downpipe and racepipe bolted to the stock cat back and cobb stage 2. I figured he would win but i wasn't sure by how much. We decided to go at it from a 15 mph roll so on three beeps we go, and i pulled on him slightly. He started to pull on me at the end of my first all the way through third. Nothig major, just a slow walk. It was fun. No trash talking afterwards. He said that he was amazed that i car that cost 8k less than his could just about keep up. Just sharing my experience. Enjoy.
    The TRs are going to surprise a lot of people. For 24k we got a real fast car that with the proper mods and tuning is going to beat or keep up with heavily modded EVOs and STis, for 8-10k less.
    Car-less

Yeah, we got torque, but the turbo is just to small and we always run out of breath.

vf39 sti intercooler and AP vf39 map and wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! that will fix our athsmatic turbo problem
    That will be me next mod, but not till next year or so. I did full stage 2 at 3500 miles. kinda regretting it a bit as I could run into warranty issues if my car fails. I guess I am putting my faith in subaru .

I Support ClubWRX
    I like reading all the stg2 storys, but my car is sadly destined to stay stock as long as I own it. I like the idea of my warranty and I also have little faith in the stock gearbox. I cant wait till I get my STI in around 1.5-2 years.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Stage 2 is the farthest I'm willing to go with my car. I know a VF39 and bigger topmount isn't that expensive but I'm afraid of breaking my gears. Those evo's man....they are faaaaaasst!!!

Registered User blackjack_davie's Avatar

Online Research

I was looking for some online research on the topic of WRX vs EVO and for the most part I fond that the press likes the Evo better, but when you look at consumer feedback the WRX gets more aclaime.

the most scathing press report I saw was this one

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=7645

they make the comment that the STI understears more than the EVO, but as i look at the video, I can't see what they meen. Then when the STI comes out for the second or third corner past the tire wall, (the hammerhead i think he calls it) it looks like the driver turned late.

I'm wondering if there is bias on part of the video producers.
    Last edited by blackjack_davie; 06-23-2006 at 09:21 PM.

sti's have always been known to understeer
    I want my subie back.

1st race.
    so... from 15mph roll, you pulled on him slightly.

2nd race.
    EVO pulled on you from a roll slightly.

Am I reading it correctly?

It was 1 race. I started off quicker but he caught up and eventually creeped on me. He said he hit fifth gear... is that possible if we barely broke 100? I'm not sure how evo's are geared.

If you guys went over 100mph, then yes its possible he shifted to 5th as our gear ratios are really short. I think our 4th tops out around 110mph or so. Nice kill dude, but honestly speaking that guy is a dumbass for putting a blow off valve on the car when the stock one is perfectly capable of doing its job and not leaking boost like the previous diverter valves on the Evo8's as they were plastic.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Yeah and he forgot to take it off when he went to the dealership and they voided his warrenty. I didn't beat him, though i wish i did

I just want to say that stage 2 in the 06 wrx is as far as I will go untill I upgrade the suspension and brakes. Then I will at least go with the 18G turbo, but more likely something in the green sized turbo. That will be plenty of power for the street/weekend racer in me Stage 2 now is more than the rest of the car can handle in turns and gets up to scarry speeds pretty quick so better brakes are in order. Both would be a need by the time I got a bigger turbo and intercooler, even if it is just the VF39.

watch those EVO IX's tbe, ecu flash and boost controllers make em pretty quick, good run though
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast