06 Stage 2 WRX vs Evo IX - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 Stage 2 WRX vs Evo IX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by WRX88 I went to test drive an evo last summer and something broke while the sales guy ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    I went to test drive an evo last summer and something broke while the sales guy was driving me to a parking lot (I just learned how to drive stick earlier that week). Not sure what blew but there was smoke coming out of the exhaust and the car was buckin like crazy and wouldn't get out of first. Another car had to come pick us up. Wasn't a good first impression. Later in the summer, i come to find that the kid i raced (see original post) bought that exact evo(it as an VIII). Two days later, he and his lawyer head down to the dealership and walk away with an evo IX. Just thought I'd share my $.02
    Nothing broke, an intercooler clamp let loose. I had that happen to me already several times.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I want an Evo.... in addition to my WRX haha

I was talking to some kid who worked at a dealership who had an EVO IX. He wouldn't tell me what he did to it, but he siad he had ran 12.2 in the past. He also said with a new clutch, he should be down to 11.8. What did he have done? All he said was "I have some stuff done." MBC and a tune?
    <--------(Jealous much)

I have a bugeye with an 04 sti swap, my buddy has a new evo 9 we raced a couple of times and i would get him to about 3 gear and then he would walk me pretty bad from there. and his car was completely stock. so yeah new the new evo 9 are fast. now if was a evo 8 that would be a different story.
    Don't wait to last minute to tell someone that you love, that you really love them because it might be to late.

Aside from being just plain quick, the handling is second to none too.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

YB ran 11.9 with a stock turbo'd sti. So I am not too surprised with the numbers the evo9 is putting down. Of course it is easier to do it with the evo.

The 06 TR, with a AP, vf39, tbe, sti IC will walk a stock evo9 in the straights all day long and still come in 5-8k less than an evo. Some tires and suspension and good brake pads (another 2k-2500) and you will at least be comparable in the curves if not slightly faster (assuming a good setup)

If the evo started modding, it would eventually even up as far as straight line performance. And with a good suspension setup, its chassis is no more capable than the wrx's
    stupidman has spoken

^^^ that's pretty insane.
    Don't wait to last minute to tell someone that you love, that you really love them because it might be to late.

Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidMan
    YB ran 11.9 with a stock turbo'd sti. So I am not too surprised with the numbers the evo9 is putting down. Of course it is easier to do it with the evo.

The 06 TR, with a AP, vf39, tbe, sti IC will walk a stock evo9 in the straights all day long and still come in 5-8k less than an evo. Some tires and suspension and good brake pads (another 2k-2500) and you will at least be comparable in the curves if not slightly faster (assuming a good setup)

If the evo started modding, it would eventually even up as far as straight line performance. And with a good suspension setup, its chassis is no more capable than the wrx's
    Put the keyboard down and step away the ricer math.

Do all that work and you still will not having the steering the Evo has, and the brakes won't be nearly as good. Then the Evo IX owner spends 1k on mods and can have about 350whp. You'll also still have the resale of a WRX TR and no warranty. Lastly, if we're just looking at performance a Evo IX RS can be had for 26k.

Your right. Except for that fact that used evo's have very little resale value here because they are notoriously abused then dumped off.

And also, don't bs me or anyone else about the warranty issue. Mitsubishi will void your warranty on your evo ix as soon as you take it to the track STOCK. You don't even have to have mods done.

Not to mention my dealership is very supportive of aftermarket mods, and has not voided my warranty as of yet. Sure if I blow my trans, they won't replace it, but if I get another squeek in my vehicle they will hop all over it.

And as far as the Evo RS goes, No thanks, I prefer a fully functional car for 26k, not a stripped chassis and motor.

Ike, now it is time for you to step back from the keyboard and smell the bacon, and that new bacon smell is the 06 wrx.
    Last edited by StupidMan; 07-03-2006 at 05:38 AM.
    stupidman has spoken

Ike
    Your right. Except for that fact that used evo's have very little resale value here because they are notoriously abused then dumped off.

And also, don't bs me or anyone else about the warranty issue. Mitsubishi will void your warranty on your evo ix as soon as you take it to the track STOCK. You don't even have to have mods done.

Not to mention my dealership is very supportive of aftermarket mods, and has not voided my warranty as of yet. Sure if I blow my trans, they won't replace it, but if I get another squeek in my vehicle they will hop all over it.

And as far as the Evo RS goes, No thanks, I prefer a fully functional car for 26k, not a stripped chassis and motor.

Ike, now it is time for you to step back from the keyboard and smell the bacon, and that new bacon smell is the 06 wrx.

Please stop talking about things that you are clueless about. Each dealer is different no matter what car manufacturer they represent. My dealer installed my TBE, they also do Buschur Racing packages and give full warranty support for those cars. They are VERY mod friendly and even organize trackdays and autox events. Just because there was one famous thread about a guy having his warranty voided for autoxing doesn't mean every Evo is subject to having its warranty voided in the same manner.

Why don't you go make the same silly argument for the WRX over the STI. It's been done many times on this and many other sites by overzealous WRX owners. Since the Evo edges out the STI in performance you should have no problem convincing everyone "the new bacon" is superior to both cars

The point of this thread was to simply state the results of a race. I was not trying to claim superiority of an EVO, which was not the case, anyway. I simply said that for a cheap car with very little money put into it, straight line acceleration was very close. I know that with the same amount of money that i put into my car, and evo will become stupid fast. I am not too concerned with my warrenty as i will not be driving so much starting this fall. I can always remove my downpipe and revert to stock if something would happen (knock on wood). The 06 wrx is a sick car. So is the EVO. Thats it. No more arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    Please stop talking about things that you are clueless about. Each dealer is different no matter what car manufacturer they represent. My dealer installed my TBE, they also do Buschur Racing packages and give full warranty support for those cars. They are VERY mod friendly and even organize trackdays and autox events. Just because there was one famous thread about a guy having his warranty voided for autoxing doesn't mean every Evo is subject to having its warranty voided in the same manner.

Why don't you go make the same silly argument for the WRX over the STI. It's been done many times on this and many other sites by overzealous WRX owners. Since the Evo edges out the STI in performance you should have no problem convincing everyone "the new bacon" is superior to both cars
    You convinced me, EVO's are better. They are faster stock than any modded wrx PERIOD. Doesn't even matter who's driving since the evo has auto pilot. In fact its the first car they are developing a second reverse gear for.

I understand now. I understand what I must do. I must go to every wrx board and defend the almighty evo and trash the impotent ***gotry of the wrx.
    stupidman has spoken

Well at least that's settled now.

OMG.... I can't belive how out of control this thread got. I'm in love with my WRX but even i know that stock for stock, the EVO has the edge over the WRX (Obviously). I have yet to face an STi, so I can not speak on behalf of them. I'll be honest, they look more attractive. My WRX is bad ass, still. I LOVE EVO's. Once again, I was simply posting the results..... I got my catback and worked on my shifting so In a few days, expect a new post about the results of the stage 2 WRX vs. EVo IX.

P.S. I all but purchased (deal fell through) an 05 WRX by myself (at 17 years old, ask me details if you care) and even when mitsu dealers think i have an STi, they still will not let me test drive an EVO (with the exeption of the one that broke before i actualy got to drive it. If you remember my earlier post). So i like subaru dealers better, FTW!!!!!

Stay tuned for details....

Mind posting a link of him running an 11.9? Seems pretty farfetched considering the limited power the VF39 can support compared to a 16g...
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast