Lamborghini Gallardo vs Stage 2 STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lamborghini Gallardo vs Stage 2 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok well in Newark, DE this weekend I had the fortune to run into the local Gallardo. This is a ...

Lamborghini Gallardo vs Stage 2 STi

Ok well in Newark, DE this weekend I had the fortune to run into the local Gallardo. This is a beautiful yellow with 20' black rims or so owned by what looks to be a 24 year old kid.

First off, the car is beautiful and sounds just amazing! Its got that incredible howl from the v10 and it was incredible to see in motion. Regardless, I got behind him in traffic and he started gunning it, slowing, gunning it, slowing, etc. I knew he would be up to play around a little

So we come to the first light, its him, my stage 2 sti and a nissan sentra spec V. The lambo is in the front, next to a van, but once it goes green he passes the van and i floor it to catch up in the other lane... no race occured because the road was too short and now we were up to another light.

2nd light, Im in the front, he is behind me reving to what seems 8K. Amazing sound! Light goes green and I hit an amazing launch... road is completely clear ahead. I shift to second and then hit third, then i look in the rearview and he is about 20 cars behind me... not even making chase.

I dont know why he didnt go for it. I like to think he had his heart broken a few times by an STi in the past. It really made no sense because we were playing around for about 10min before he hit the light. Between his reving and high rpm driving I could have gaurenteed a race. Also... after the last "run" he stopped looking over and completely ignored me

One last thing... there was one point where we were just driving right next to each other at high rpms, and all of a sudden my exhaust and his meshed perfectly so it sounded like just one car You could not tell a difference in exhaust notes at all, it was a very weird experience. My exhaust is an invidia G200.
    Last edited by Padge; 06-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice encounter!

In the car mags, most bone stock Gallardos have been doing the 1/4 mile in the 12.4's at 118mph. From following posts on this forum and NASIOC, most Cobb Stage 2 STI's with a good driver are capable of going 12.6-12.8 @107-108mph (in good conditions).

The Gallardo is awd like the STI and has an n/a V-10 (no turbo lag), so from a dig or a roll the Gallardo would have the advantage and would probably win by 2-3 car lengths assuming good drivers are in both cars (probably 4+ car lengths from a roll).

However, as you mentioned that the Gallardo had 20" black rims, this kid was obviously more interested in having a cool looking Lambo and depending on the weight of those wheels, it could actually slow his car down enough (.2-.3 slower in the 1/4 mile) to make it relatively even with a Stage 2 STI.

He's probably been burnt by modded Evos & STIs in the past as it really doesn't take much for them to run low 12's...
    Last edited by Chiketkd; 06-12-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

thats exactly what i like to think.

My girl was with me and I was telling her that I could have a chance against him and she laughed

She knows the sti is fast, but doesnt understand how it can compare to a lambo/ferrari.

The lambo is quite a car though... v10, 500hp, 400trq, AWD... damn!
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

haha, the gallardo isnt all that fast... i pulled on one with my vf22 set-up... then again it was all under 100mph and these supercars are designed for much higher speeds. it would've been a close race though... probably him by a little bit.

If he was behind, he probably didn't go because you kicked up a bunch of crap from your launch onto his car. He was probably pissed off that you did that to him.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Wow, I've never seen 20' rims that f-ing huge

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    If he was behind, he probably didn't go because you kicked up a bunch of crap from your launch onto his car. He was probably pissed off that you did that to him.
    hmmm... could be true, but he was sitting with the throttle at 8k RPMs or so behind me so if he was expecting me to not launch it he was crazy!
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    hmmm... could be true, but he was sitting with the throttle at 8k RPMs or so behind me so if he was expecting me to not launch it he was crazy!
    He probably was expecting you too and didn't think about the consequences. He probably hates all subie drivers now.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    He probably was expecting you too and didn't think about the consequences. He probably hates all subie drivers now.
    It was an amazing launch
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

The lambo is quite a car though... v10, 500hp, 400trq, AWD... damn!
    My money's on the lambo! With the specs mentioned above with also top speed to keep in mind. Unless a GT35R STI rolls in the picture... that would be interesting to see!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

^^ yea i know I wouldnt have won, but I think he might have had trouble with other sti's/evo's in the past and that is why he didnt chase.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

I Support ClubWRX
    Based on my experience, you probably would have hung right in with him...I encountered a Gallardo back when I had my blue WRX (18g, dyno'd 326 whp @ 24 psi). The Gallardo was owned by a Philadelphia Philly who takes it to the local drag strip sometimes. I was surprised how well my car hung in there w/him.

I posted about it back then: 18g'd WRX vs. Lamborghini Gallardo...(detonation hampered):(

Encounters like this are unforgettable. The few runs I've had in my WRXs against exotics are among my favorates of all time. Although my NSX is a far, far cry from a Gallardo, now the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, since everyone and their mother tries to race the NSX. I still haven't had to face an STi or an Evo in it, and I don't know if I'd want to mess with them, for that matter Maybe I'll have to tell them to hold on, while I run home and grab a WRX to open up a can of Subaru whoopass, lol.
    Last edited by annointed; 06-13-2006 at 09:22 AM.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

I don't get it. Don't they launch in AWD and 0-60 in the 3's? I know that neither my Evo or my stang could keep up with that. My stang might catch up eventually, but not my Evo.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG
    I don't get it. Don't they launch in AWD and 0-60 in the 3's? I know that neither my Evo or my stang could keep up with that. My stang might catch up eventually, but not my Evo.
    You're thinking of the Murcielago. The Gallardo is not as powerful - has a 0-60 time in the low 4's and a 1/4 mile in the 12.4 range.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast