04' STi vs G35

This is a discussion on 04' STi vs G35 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok first off I will say the G35 appeared to have at least the exhaust done and I have a ...

04' STi vs G35

Ok first off I will say the G35 appeared to have at least the exhaust done and I have a short ram intake, catless tbe, and a utec with a base stage 2 map on it so I am running a little rich. I am going home when I see bright lights across from me so when they turn I see the hid's were from an Acura TL and a G35. I turn and follow cause I'm going that way anyway. We were coming up on a light but it turned so I rolled through in 3rd at low rpms when the G35 down shifts and gets on it but I wasn't ready so I let him go.

After he got off of it I got on it to get beside him which I did but as soon as I started to slow down he floored it and was a car length ahead by the time I hit it (car length from bumper to bumper). We are going up a slight hill where at the top it levels off for a bit then goes back down slowly. When I went through 3rd going up the hill we were dead even (him still a car length in front), I hit 4th and started creeping up on him still going up the hill. When I was half way through 4th we were leveling out on the top of the hill and I started pulling even more (guess because the awd didn't like the uphill part). Starting towards the slight downhill part I hit 5th and we both kept on it for a second then we got off at the same time and at that point I was a fender to a half a car in front of him.

The first G35 I ever ran was from a 2nd gear pull on totally flat and leveled ground and I pulled on him very easily. Both G35's I have ever ran were brand new (05 or 06) only difference was one was modded and one was stock, question is did he have anything else other than exhaust or did that hill really mess up my acceleration. It did feel like the hill made me accelerate slower and maybe the fact that I was pulling even more when we hit leveled ground proves that...... and not only did I pull more on leveled ground but it was a higher speed as well. Oh yeah and at the very end when I was turning onto the street I had to take the TL finally caught up and when he pulled up beside his buddy I thought I heard him yell "HOLY $H!T, I can't believe he kept up with you" which leads me to believe he had more than exhaust done (my face was like noooooo because I did more than keep up, I gained ground and pulled a little ahead).

P.S. HAHAHAHA earlier in the night I saw a wrx on the freeway and he went wot in front of me so I did to, I was kinda creeping up on him but not harcore gaining and well we both take the same exit and I pull up next to him and chat, come to find out the guy in the passenger seat was Bill who works at I-Speed and he had tuned that car. I don't know what the car had but I excpected to be pulling a lot more than that seeing as how it was a regular rex with a kinda sleeper twin tip exhaust.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 06-08-2006 at 12:10 AM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hear stories of full bolt-on 350z's being kinda quick, but only really up to or slightly ahead of a stock STi. Maybe he had a shot of nitrous, such as a 75 shot and some bolt-ons? I would imagine the hill was bad for you, but it couldn't have been great for him either, though.

Good kill nonetheless
    04 Silver STi M6

hmmmm....

Bolt on G35's do not pick up much hp over stock, and it seems quite odd that he would keep up with you, as a stage2 STi. When going up hill torque matters a lot, but you should actually be making more torque than him... Considerably more. G35c's with standard bolt on's are only good for 103/104mph or so which would run with a stock STi but certainly not a stage2 STi.
    My first thought was that he had boost (maybe a s/c'er) but then he would have walked you. So like someone else mentioned it could be that he was using nitrous.
    Another possibility is simply that while going uphill your car struggled a bit more and maybe was not in the optimum powerband whereas he was... but this still seems unlikely.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I saw a HKS twin turbo 350 running 13.3s all day long at the track and trapping at around 108mph, so its possible that it was turbo'ed but didn't have a great tune or was running like the one i saw.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

If we would have started side by side I would have had like 1.5 car lengths on him by 105-110mph and that was from a 40mph roll start if I remember correctly. Also the street curved to the left going up the hill then was straight going down the hill and he had the inside lane so I would say that I might have gotten another car length if the street was straight as well. But yeah that got me scratching my head because I was excpecting to walk him pretty badly and I ended up just edging him out.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

I will revive this little thread with some races/stories I read on a forum for G35/350Z owners. I was just reading their race stories and all the ones I happened to read were either a 350Z vs STi or G35 vs STi and they all ended up with the 350Z/G35 almost side by side with an STi from a 45mp roll to like 110mph area but here's the kicker, all the STi's they raced were "lightly modded" as they put it (they were all actually in the stage 2 area. exhaust, inatek, tune) buuuttttttttt the 350Z/G35's were all boosted and running 7psi. After reading those stories I thought to myself " maybe I ran against a boosted G35 but I didn't hear a bov which I would think a Z or G35 would have with an aftermarket turbo set up. As for nitrous, everyone told me I would have smelled it if he was spraying but I had my window almost all the way up (just a crack open) so I would have had a hard time smelling anything or even hearing a bov for that matter. BAH I don't know........ I just need to go get my car dyno tuned to see what I am at right now and what I am at after the tune.

The new 06 G35/350Z's come with 300hp now. Should be real close from a role.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper
    I will revive this little thread with some races/stories I read on a forum for G35/350Z owners. I was just reading their race stories and all the ones I happened to read were either a 350Z vs STi or G35 vs STi and they all ended up with the 350Z/G35 almost side by side with an STi from a 45mp roll to like 110mph area but here's the kicker, all the STi's they raced were "lightly modded" as they put it (they were all actually in the stage 2 area. exhaust, inatek, tune) buuuttttttttt the 350Z/G35's were all boosted and running 7psi. After reading those stories I thought to myself " maybe I ran against a boosted G35 but I didn't hear a bov which I would think a Z or G35 would have with an aftermarket turbo set up. As for nitrous, everyone told me I would have smelled it if he was spraying but I had my window almost all the way up (just a crack open) so I would have had a hard time smelling anything or even hearing a bov for that matter. BAH I don't know........ I just need to go get my car dyno tuned to see what I am at right now and what I am at after the tune.
    I don't man...those boosted Zs can make anywhere between 400+whp and would rape a stage 2 STi. A REALLY good driver with a fairly modded Z trapped 107 or so, which is right around a stage 2 STi. Do yourself a favour and get Protuned as the off the shelf map might not be taking well to your car. A custom stage 2 tune would probably really open up your car.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Man, race them from a stop and

You should see their faces when the grocery getter has 3-4 carlengths by 80mph.

reaper if they are running sti's from 45mph roll and they are both in 2nd gear i believe it because sti doesnt use its powerband at all. But if sti guy knows how to drive and puts in in 3rd at 45mph while g35 is in 2nd you will kill it, i dont care what he has unless his boosted. (stage 2 sti is the assumption here). Also your first race really depends what speed you were at and what gear you were in and what rpm you were at etc etc. Sti's are really easy to fawk up races with by shifting at redline when your stage 2 (except in 1st gear). Shifting at redline in a stage 2 sti is a mistake, thats why wrx's with 6.5krpm redline (06's) are so much smarter and people hit nice times, car forces them to shift at the right time. Also people wanna do 25mph roll and put it in 1st or 40mph roll put it in 2nd or 60mph and they put it in 3rd.

here is what i do for speeds(stage 2 sti)

20mph i'll still put it in 2nd and use the torque, let them get a jump i dont care, i'll get them back. 1st isnt 2 bad but if i were forced 2 race 1st gear roll i'd wanna start at 10-15mph.

30-35mph i'd probably put it in 2nd and enjoy the torque

40-45 i'd put it in 3rd for sure.

50-55 is a weird spot and you choose what you prefer i'd still pick 4th

60-65 mph is a perfect roll IMO, put it in 4th and just gun it. its perfect

anything in between i'd say 70 mph 4th even but anything over use 5th

80-90 mph use 5th gear even tho they will get a jump for sure, just bad choice. Your probably stupid if your racing from that sorta speed to start (even tho i've done it )

with this philosophy i've beat e46 m3's off a roll pretty nicely. I killed a convertible e46 m3 by 10+ cars on the freeway starting at 80mph roll (me in 5th gear him in 3rd) he got jumped and i flew by him by a 105-110 up till like 155. I've NEVER had any sorta problem with any g35 or 350z, they are usually a waste of gas no matter what they have (unless boosted). Rx8's are jokes but 20mph roll i put it in 2nd and destroyed one. Ran the 350hp version gto's at 30mph and took it. Thats all i can remember for now. These are all a while ago too, i really havent raced much at all lately. Once i've been destroed by a 360modena but that was fun.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!