vs. VR-4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on vs. VR-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend has a VR-4 with an intake and exhaust. We'd probably be running from a 40mph roll, what would ...

vs. VR-4

My friend has a VR-4 with an intake and exhaust. We'd probably be running from a 40mph roll, what would the outcome be?
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    AccessPort w/ VF34 (PDX Tuning map)
    Cobbtuning Intake
    TXS Catless StealthBack /w Stromung XA
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    VR-4 Galant, or 3000GT?

3000gt I believe
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    Cobbtuning Intake
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron
    3000gt I believe
    Any mods?

Intake and exhaust.. I believe thats it.
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    Cobbtuning Intake
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

I Support ClubWRX
    They are pretty heavy, but still capable of decent trap times. I'd say it would be close. Run him and find out.

hes claiming he smoked an STi, so just wanna shut him up
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    Cobbtuning Intake
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

Unless he has more mods than he lets on; unless the GT has better gearing, AND the STi driver couldn't drive for ****, I seriously doubt he's going to smoke one.
    1. They have about the same amount of HP, but they're heavier.
    2. They are also AWD so they are subject to the same weight issues as the Rexs when racing frumaroll.

My guess is he's either embellishing...A LOT, or there is more to his engine tuning that he's letting on.

I also say, run him. Then let us know the results. I was next to (actually a car behind the car next to) a Stealth R/T twin turbo at a stoplight a few weeks ago. I would have loved to have ran with him but too much traffic.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron
    hes claiming he smoked an STi, so just wanna shut him up
    Well, if he "smoked" an STi with the mods he's claiming, the STi wasn't racing him. The 3000GT VR4 weighs close to 4000lbs (like 38XX I believe). They are fast but stock for stock, the STi is faster.
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Believe it or not... whether he beat an STi or not or will beat you depends solely on to what extent his "exhaust modification" is.

If it is just a catback then you are good and the sti owner couldn't drive from crap.

However, if he is running full exhaust (tbe w/ downpipes) then it is a different story. For some reason these cars respond ridiculously well to full exhaust modifications. People pick up 30whp with just the exhaust. Fortunately though, they are heavy as crap and the AWD really hurts their trap.
    Stock they are typically high 13sec cars @ 100/101mph. With a catback, I wouldn't expect much better... BUT, with full exhaust they are very low 13sec cars and trap in the 105mph area. With increased boost they are 12sec @ nearly 110mph cars... but he is at stock boost it seems so you are good there.

Honestly, vs. a stage2.5 wrx I would give the dig to the wrx... Just don't sleep on the launch because he has awd too
    From a roll, I think you will fair pretty well, but I would try not to go into 4th gear for too long because that is likely where he might catch up.

As for him smoking an STi... If he really smoked one on stock boost then I would ask him what his definition of smoking is. If he edged one out from a dig and beat it by a car or two from a roll then that is very possible with a full exhaust VR-4.

Either way, race him, but be safe about it.. Only one way to find out which car is truly faster.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Generally VR4 exhausts aren't turbo back, but yes.

If he has gutted catalytics, and even a stock cat-back, he's probably running 30 HP more than stock. It's the kitties that the VR4 really hates, the rest of the exhaust is pretty unrestrictive. A downpipe, catback and gutted pre-cats is a crazy amount of power from just exhaust.

An intake is questionable, and won't really do much.

He could get a manual boost controller and turn the boost up to like 17 psi. Those stock turbos are tiny and will only hold 10 to redline. Then he would be in the 12's.

While it's AWD, a VR4 actually has a really strong fourth gear. In my estimation, a VR4 will do quite a bit of damage to an STi from a roll, because of gearing and aerodynamics.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    Generally VR4 exhausts aren't turbo back, but yes.
    bah, you get my point
    Just call me Clark Kent

A friend with a 95 vr4 beat me in my stock sti from a 40-100 roll. He is running a full 3" catless exhaust, a boost controller and intake. We were even through my third and fourth gear. As soon as I shifted to fifth he pulled on me by about a car and we stayed there. I shifted three times and he only shifted once. We both agree from a stop or down lower I would have beat him.
    Lit Fuse Kustoms

Extreme 4x4 videos

I tend to think a VR4 of its current age in stock form will never get into the 13s, probably be running low to mid 14s by its current age. Even some of them were low 14 second cars when new. Low as in 14.1s
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    I tend to think a VR4 of its current age in stock form will never get into the 13s, probably be running low to mid 14s by its current age. Even some of them were low 14 second cars when new. Low as in 14.1s
    Well, the earlier models (early to mid 90's) were typically seen in the lower 14's. The newer models (last few years of production) were pretty consistant with 13sec times. However, I agree that 10 years later it is very possible they are not running as strong and seeing 14's from a large majority of the stock ones is a pretty plausible idea.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.