Evo9 vs. STI
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Evo9 vs. STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Had an 06 STI owner wanting to take down my Evo while at the pump last night. We exchanged a ...

Evo9 vs. STI

Had an 06 STI owner wanting to take down my Evo while at the pump last night. We exchanged a few words about our mods and did a couple of 45mph rolls (neither of us wanted to launch). He was a very cool guy and just wanted to see how the new Evo9's performed considering all he has seen were the 8's and he would beat them. If I recall, he had Cobb Stage 2 map and a full turboback with a high flow cat and he hasn't dyno'd. I just have an MBC and a custom reflash putting down 300whp/310wtq.

Both 45mph rolls I just started walking away from him and we stopped around 100mph before shutting down on the highway with no one around. I wasn't looking back to see how many cars he was behind me, but afterwards we talked at the gas station and he said I put about 2 cars on him and he was quite surprised as to how quick the car was with just 2 simple mods lol. Now I just need to get a fuel pump and a turboback and have it retuned and hope to hit 340whp like I've seen other people do.

If your on here, its been fun. Want to have a rematch when I get my turboback?

By the way, I didn't post this to start crap, I just thought it was a good match and I have much respect for my fellow AWD brothers hehe. Got to love the killer boxer rumble!
    Last edited by BoostJunkie21; 06-02-2006 at 05:17 PM.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Evo IX > STi.

There is nothing else to it.

Good run
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

posts like this make me lean back to evos, and the looks are sweet. im glad i watched the top gear of the sti vs. the fq300 where clarkson said hed buy the evo if he wanted to race all the time at a track. but both he and hammond said theyd pick the sti. id be lost without u top gear.

but wow, only an mbc and tune and 300 at the wheels?? wow. how come u need an mbc with the tune? seems like the tune would take care of boost?

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6
    posts like this make me lean back to evos, and the looks are sweet. im glad i watched the top gear of the sti vs. the fq300 where clarkson said hed buy the evo if he wanted to race all the time at a track. but both he and hammond said theyd pick the sti. id be lost without u top gear.
    That is what the Evo MR is for.

Handles better than both standard Evo GSR and STi and at the same time has a smoother and better ride quality for daily driving
    Just call me Clark Kent

but wow, only an mbc and tune and 300 at the wheels?? wow. how come u need an mbc with the tune? seems like the tune would take care of boost?
    I don't need the MBC per say, I just use it for adjustability and changing boost whenever I want. The tune does take care of the boost, but I want full control of it than to let the ECU control it, so thats why I got one.
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

One of the main reasons I bought an Evo IX over a STi was due to it's amazing modability for not much cash.

Of course, there's also the fact that it's faster out of the box, handles better, looks better (exterior AND interior, IMO), etc. ...

Plus, I got a new IX MR for what is basically the same price as an STi when South Coast was doing their March Madness sale.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

EVO 9 is faster stock and way more moddable, thats all there is to it. Untl subaru does something crazy we wont be able to compete powerwise unlesss we go with major mod to major mod. As far as the better looking thing, i think thats all opinion. Exhaust note sti definitely sounds better. I havent heard a 9 with exhaust but im assuming its gonna be pretty much the same as the rest?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Stock for stock, the 9's sound a bit deeper than the 8's, but once both of them have aftermarket exhausts, they sound similar. I need a damn turboback!

I am very surprised to see EVOs responding so well to mods. Maybe impressed more what I'm trying to say. What do IX's usually dyno at stock? How much more boost is added with the reflash?

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    As far as the better looking thing, i think thats all opinion. Exhaust note sti definitely sounds better. I havent heard a 9 with exhaust but im assuming its gonna be pretty much the same as the rest?
    yeah, you just cannot beat a boxer motor sound as far as 4 cylinders go. The only other 4 cylinder car I think sounds as good as a wrx/sti if not better is a lotus elise.

As far as the Evo goes, its nothing special sound wise. With a TBE and Cam they can sound pretty mean, but again, not as good as the boxer IMO.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I think the evos look barely better than an sti. buts its also a very different look. the sti is muscular, burly fenders and (at least 05, what ill buy) has round but aggressive lights. it looks stocky. evo looks egdy, sharp lines all over. but i think the evo interior looks incredibly cheap. the sti has the grey knobs with the climate control, almost like a wannabe acura control with the large silver knobs for fake aluminum. and many people, sti and evo owners, think the sti has a better mroe comfortable interior. thats a main reason im going to buy an sti, i sat in an evo at the denver auto show and just didnt get excited by anything except the seats. those i made love to.

Quote Originally Posted by turboawd
    I am very surprised to see EVOs responding so well to mods. Maybe impressed more what I'm trying to say. What do IX's usually dyno at stock? How much more boost is added with the reflash?
    They typically dyno anywhere from 250-270whp stock and with just tuning alone (just a reflash), expect another 30whp along with a ****load of torque lol. The IX's are a finicky bunch though since boost is not consistent whatsoever, so it would be wise to get a boost gauge if you don't have an MR, and get a MBC as well to set it. With a turboback, mbc, and a custom reflash, the car should be able to go low 12's trapping 112-115mph on pump gas (about 330-340whp). There has been one person who went 11.9@115mph with just those mods and is fixing to add cams along with a stronger clutch.

I think the evos look barely better than an sti. buts its also a very different look. the sti is muscular, burly fenders and (at least 05, what ill buy) has round but aggressive lights. it looks stocky. evo looks egdy, sharp lines all over. but i think the evo interior looks incredibly cheap. the sti has the grey knobs with the climate control, almost like a wannabe acura control with the large silver knobs for fake aluminum. and many people, sti and evo owners, think the sti has a better mroe comfortable interior. thats a main reason im going to buy an sti, i sat in an evo at the denver auto show and just didnt get excited by anything except the seats. those i made love to.
    I agree completely. Your reasons were pretty much the reasons why I thought I wanted to get an STi until I read about the Evo IX. I signed up on these boards, started doing some research and then found out about its competitor. Started doing research on that, but I was still leaning towards the STi. Test drove both and that was the single thing that pulled me away from getting an STi over an Evo. It could've attributed because of several things, but I still can't explain it. Just how simple it is to modify it is a plus too considering how much power I'm putting down with so little done to it and already walking away from Stage 2 STi's , but I will say the STi is a better daily driver, so if thats what you want, you can't go wrong. Best of luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.