Anyone raced any BMWs in their 06s yet?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone raced any BMWs in their 06s yet? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I looked around but didn't really see anyone talking about this. I was driving home from beer and wings with ...

Anyone raced any BMWs in their 06s yet?

I looked around but didn't really see anyone talking about this.

I was driving home from beer and wings with my friend last night and this punk kid in his (or his parents') turbo jetta starts riding my ass at 30. First chance he gets he rips into the left lane and floors it. Just as he is about to fly past me, I floor it from 2nd to 4th and he is history.

Then as soon as I get on the highway I see a 330xi in a similar situation, but since I'm having some problems with my license and I just gunned it, I didn't want to punch it. But it made me wonder how the 06s are stacking up against beamers. Not necessarily M3s or M5s but like the other 3, 5 or 7 series cars.

Anyone race one yet?
    Car-less

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got crushed by a 650i a couple months back. It was dark, and I'd mistaken it for a new Eclipse. After I learned my mistake, I tried to keep up, but I didn't stand a chance!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Registered User flyingpertyhigh's Avatar
    i was in a new 525xi the other day and i thought i had to get out and push.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpertyhigh
    i was in a new 525xi the other day and i thought i had to get out and push.
    Really? That sucks (good for any rex pulling up next to one though ).
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    I got crushed by a 650i a couple months back. It was dark, and I'd mistaken it for a new Eclipse. After I learned my mistake, I tried to keep up, but I didn't stand a chance!
    Are you stock? And if so, do you think that stage 2 or 4 would have been able to keep up at all?
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66
    Are you stock? And if so, do you think that stage 2 or 4 would have been able to keep up at all?
    I'm stock, yeah. Stage 2, no. No way. Stage 4, I just don't know enough about. The 650i puts out 370 hp stock, IIRC. I know some of our cars can get bigger numbers than that, but it's gonna take work.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    I'm stock, yeah. Stage 2, no. No way. Stage 4, I just don't know enough about. The 650i puts out 370 hp stock, IIRC. I know some of our cars can get bigger numbers than that, but it's gonna take work.
    Yeah, that's what I figured.

My girlfriend's mom has one of the 5 series, I think the 525, with the tiptronic or whatever and the thing feels like it has some pull, but I always wonder how that or one of the sportier 3 series cars would do against a WRX.
    Car-less

Any 3 series or 5 series should not be much of a problem for the 06's. BMWs are generally slow and very overrated. I would think a stage 2 could put up a good fight with an M3 (w/ the 6 cyl. not the new V8).
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

the new 330s have 255hp and the manual models are no slouches by any means. I would venture to say it would put the smack down on a rex from any kind of roll. The new 335 is another non M model you need to look out for. 300hp twin turbo 2.8 I6 with AWD. thats gonna be some machine. The first BMW with great mod potential in a long time.
    You wanna shoot? shoot. Dont talk!

Remember the way the BMWs are badged. 525 = 5 series with a 2.5 liter. No wonder you felt like you had to push. Those things are probably heavy as hell, too.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Registered User flyingpertyhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Remember the way the BMWs are badged. 525 = 5 series with a 2.5 liter. No wonder you felt like you had to push. Those things are probably heavy as hell, too.
    yeah i dont get what it is with benz and bimmer putting miniscule engines in huge bodies. i saw a s350 the other day. i'm just not getting how a 6 could move that huge s body at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Actually the 06 525 and 530 both use the 3.0L.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...ries&trimid=-1

I've yet to race a bimmer in Rex, but I'd jump at the chance.

We have BRAND NEW 330i's for our new high perf. driving school. As well as Boxsters 997's, 996's, and M3's. Although the 330 is awesome on the racetrack since it SSOOOO well-balanced, it still feels rather gutless on acceleration... It is also WICKED fun on a skidpad, and can drift pretty damn awesome, especially for a mostly open diff. Just have to rotate it off the brake and then catch it will HELLA revs to keep that one tire spinnin enough to hold a huge angle. At first it is a lil tricky to get used to the quick left to right transitions while in a slide because of the drive by wire... I swear as you feather the throttle the motor is a full second behind your right foot.. But once you get used to those couple things.. she is a 4-door driftin beauty. .. But still my stock 02 Rex wagon feels stronger when I leave from work.

I have raced MANY BMW's with my bolt on 2002 wrx. Just to give you an idea my best track time to date was 13.3 @100.6

E36 M3 (95-99) w/ intake - raced twice: from a dig I pulled him hard out of the hole and upto 80mph or so I maintained a solid 4+ car lead. From a roll (20-100) he faired much better. Without my launch he was able to get the jump on me and by the end of 2nd I was running even and by the end of 3rd I had a put just short of a car length on him. I have feeling that had we gone faster and I was forced into 4th gear he would have pulled that car length back and put a bit of distance on me actually.

E36 325is (92-99) w/ (i think) intake, exhaust, ecu - from a 40mph roll the guy got walked hard. I gave up by ~ 75/80mph where I already had 5+ cars on him. I think with all those mods, they still only trap in the 90mph area.

2000 540i 6mt - highway run from 60-100 in which he had a good 2-3 cars on me and then I wanted to go lower to see if I faired better 40-100 and at first we were neck and neck, around 70 he slowly started pulling and by the end he was a good 2 cars ahead again.

330i 6mt/330i 5at - I've played with a few of these actually since there are so many around and so many owners think they are driving M3's or something. I ran a friends 330ci automatic when I was stock and from a dig it was pretty close, but I had him by a car as I went mid-way into 3rd. When I was modded we didn't bother from a dig because we both knew I would win, so from a roll (i forget the speeds) I still put a good 4+ cars on him.
    The 6spd's are not much different. With my mods never much trouble from a dig, but from a roll they put up a decent fight but if you stage2 it shouldn't be much of a problem

E46 M3 (2000-2005) - Never beaten one. Raced 3 I believe in my time and have yet to win. Even from a dig I will get a solid jump, but if we go past 80mph they start coming past pretty hard. Stage2 might be able to fend them off until 70-80 but if you go any further expect to be passed pretty hard. I tried once from a roll for fun, and got handed my own ass... From 40-110 he probably had 4+ cars on me and was still pulling.

E60 M5 (2001) - Did a 0-60 with one once and it was pretty close. I had him until 40 or so and then by 60 he put a good car length on me. From anywhere else forget about it. Granted, I ran a 13.3 but that was with PERFECT conditions... The M5 knocks of low 13's consistantly like its a cake-walk. I wouldn't even both from a roll unless you are an upgraded turbo and tuned. Even then, you would likely have trouble though a VF series snail.

I am sure there are others as well, but I dont feel like and thinking and typing anymore. Basically, the if you are stage2 there are a lot of Bimmers you can play with from a dig and even a roll... The only ones to worry about from then on out would have to wearing an M-badge.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase
    Actually the 06 525 and 530 both use the 3.0L.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...ries&trimid=-1
    My fault!

I stand corrected
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.