wrx vs Porsche 911 turbo - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs Porsche 911 turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M Bah. They trap about 115 mph. It's simple: If you trap better, you won't lose. ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    Bah. They trap about 115 mph. It's simple: If you trap better, you won't lose. I do have to say that Subaru 6spd's have horrible gearing and you'd have trouble on the topend not because of power production but because they have you shifting into top gear at only 120 mph. My old 92 Stealth 5spd would do that at the top of third.

My 95 Stealth equaled a 911 Turbo's runs although I was 4-5 mph slower we crossed the 1/4 within a couple of hundredths of a second. Not bad for a 4000lb car on stock turbos with only a downpipe, mbc, and fuel upgrades.

Sure, they're nice cars but what isn't when you've spent over $100k? I don't consider them some special vehicle built of "unobtanium". Honestly, if it were my $100k, I'd choose a twin turbo v12 Mercedes coupe and have some style with my speed.
    Easily one of the most retarded posts this week.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    Bah. They trap about 115 mph. It's simple: If you trap better, you won't lose. I do have to say that Subaru 6spd's have horrible gearing and you'd have trouble on the topend not because of power production but because they have you shifting into top gear at only 120 mph. My old 92 Stealth 5spd would do that at the top of third.

My 95 Stealth equaled a 911 Turbo's runs although I was 4-5 mph slower we crossed the 1/4 within a couple of hundredths of a second. Not bad for a 4000lb car on stock turbos with only a downpipe, mbc, and fuel upgrades.

Sure, they're nice cars but what isn't when you've spent over $100k? I don't consider them some special vehicle built of "unobtanium". Honestly, if it were my $100k, I'd choose a twin turbo v12 Mercedes coupe and have some style with my speed.
    Is anyone suprised that the car isn't geared for a drag strip? If you pay the 130 g's for the car, which isn't the top end but its getting there, you get all the best stuff that you can get. Ceramic brakes, Titanium wheels (the inside of the spokes are actually hollow to save weight), one of the best traction control systems in the world, and an ultra reliable air cooled twin sequential turbo beast of an engine that isn't even maxed out from the factory when it gets its claimed 400hp (Porsche notoriously underate their horsepower ratings and 0-60 times). Its a hell of a car, and just because you might keep up with it at the drag strip, where its it not really designed to be, doesn't make it not worth every penny I won't be able to afford. That said, there are alot of cars that compete with it, but I have to say that unless you have done a ton of work to an STI, it will never compare, and thats talking about the old one from a couple years ago. The new one out this year is even more amazing and powerful.

JH

true! porshe's are awesome. so are sti's.the sti is definately a beast as well. so i would certainly be happy with one even though i can't afford the porshe. or maybe an evo too.

Comparing an STi to a 911T makes absolutely no sense. It makes as much sense to compare a Lotus elise to a Maybach.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I believe they switched to water cooled engines starting with the 996's.
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by Icysheet
    I believe they switched to water cooled engines starting with the 996's.

I think the 993 was the last aircooled porsche but maybe I'm wrong.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

nope you would be correct in that statement. the 993 model WAS the last aircooled porsche ( many purists believe it to be the last real porsche )

the 996 body came out in 1998 i believe, and ran until this year when the 997 came out ( i like the 997 much much much better, because it reminds me of the 993 )
    Abram Goglanian: Photographer
    WTB: 99-03 Impreza ( RS or WRX )

Ewwww.... Myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ...I think they're loud enough to cause spontaneous involuntary pooping of the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by agphotography
    nope you would be correct in that statement. the 993 model WAS the last aircooled porsche ( many purists believe it to be the last real porsche )

the 996 body came out in 1998 i believe, and ran until this year when the 997 came out ( i like the 997 much much much better, because it reminds me of the 993 )
    I agree, the 997's look much better. Supposedly making it look like the 993 was the whole point to their design for the 997.
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

if this new venture i'm looking at pays off...i'll pay off my sti in a few months, buy my house by the end of the year (yes, cash), and then stop to pick up my m6...maybe 911t, i dunno...but this is all wishful thinking. i don't think it'll take off like i hope it does, but it sure is nice to dream isn't it?

no matter what, nice death

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Easily one of the most retarded posts this week.
    Ok - here's a shorter answer to the "almighty" Porsche: Corvette. Buy your Z06 for $40-50k less and go kick some snooty ass.

So far I haven't met a Porsche owner who wasn't totally "holier than thou" so I may have a biased look at the cars. Still, except for the $500k versions, their cars are merely quick. They are not fast cars, and they have no "amazing top end ability" and I'll stick to that. Anyone that thinks they are fast and/or have a good top end just hasn't ridden in a car that is fast and does have a top end that makes you grab the oh shi t handle.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

that's funny, cause every video i have seen of a 911 on the track it always pisses on every ZO6 on the straights and we won't talk about the cornering, since awd is far more advance in that area.

Not the old Z06 - the new one. The C5 Z06 was just another quick car, pretty good for the money but nothing really special. The C6 Z06 is downright amazing. Anything that traps at 127+ mph off the showroom floor is qualified to be called "fast as hell," plus its brakes and suspension are equally improved.

At "only" $70k (still more than I'm spending on cars right now), it's a huge bargain.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Not the old Z06 - the new one. The C5 Z06 was just another quick car, pretty good for the money but nothing really special. The C6 Z06 is downright amazing. Anything that traps at 127+ mph off the showroom floor is qualified to be called "fast as hell," plus its brakes and suspension are equally improved.

At "only" $70k (still more than I'm spending on cars right now), it's a huge bargain.

I agree untill it comes to Daily Driver.

If I had the money then Porsche it is.

fre
    Keep in mind those porsche turbos can be modified too. I raced one when he was stock and beat him on the top end drag racing, but the last time I saw him at the track he had mods and was hitting 130+ trap speeds.
    11.1 @ 131

i would still take even a plain jane Carrera, the cars are just gorgeous.

i would be totally happy with a 997 Carrera S, anything else is just greedy
    Abram Goglanian: Photographer
    WTB: 99-03 Impreza ( RS or WRX )

Ewwww.... Myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ...I think they're loud enough to cause spontaneous involuntary pooping of the pants.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast