99 'stang w/ kenny bell s/c

This is a discussion on 99 'stang w/ kenny bell s/c within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The other night, on the way to the gym I was challenged by a '99 mustang convertible with a LOUD ...

99 'stang w/ kenny bell s/c

The other night, on the way to the gym I was challenged by a '99 mustang convertible with a LOUD exhaust making the sound that, much like the boxer rumble, characterizes v8 mustangs. We raced three times. From ~50 mph, I immediately pulled past him and continued until we shut down around 100mph. From about 40, he pulled to where my nose was at his door, and we stayed that way until we shut down. I then convinced him to go from a stop, where I launched from 5k, creaming him. We talked for a bit after, and I found out he had a Kenny Bell S/C @ 6psi. I was wondering how much power he could make, because it seems strange that my 202 whp would defeat him? Speculation?
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

He was lieing about the SC. Most likely all he had was a catback. Any GT or SVT mustang from 1999 to present with a Kenny Bell SC would absolutely destroy a WRX that's only putting down about 200whp. This reminds me of that video floating around on the internet with the guy that says he runs 10's in his mustang with only a catback.
    2004 WRB Cobb Stage II WRX
    220whp 210wtq

But that's the thing, he wasn't lying. He opened up his hood, and there on top of his v8 was an s/c. I guess he just couldn't drive worth beans.....
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

1 of 3 things happened here:

1) He was lying about the s/c'er

2) He was a V6 stang with a fabricated KB. (there are a few around here with this setup that are only running mid - high 14's @ 95mph

3) He was telling the truth and really is a GT with KB, and he is the worst freaking driver on the earth.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

As someone with a blown 99 GT and an Evo that runs 12.7s, I can tell tell you from first hand experience that the GT from a 50 mph roll will pull not carlengths, not buslengths, but trainlengths on my Evo. Even from a launch it would get pretty ugly for the Evo after a couple of seconds. For fun, I once timed 0-60mph for the stang on the street and it was something like 4.1x, spinning all through first and half of 2nd gear.

My GT has a centri blower though, making 12 psi. Maybe the guy had a bad tune or something.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG
    Maybe the guy had a bad tune or something.
    Bad tune?

You mean the worst tune in the world?

I have seen blown stangs untuned that still knock off traps past 100mph
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    The KB should give him an amazing low end powerband that would just destory you at around 40-80 mph. Even with stock rear gears. The car in stock form put down more hp then you have, let alone with a blower. Either bad tune, bad driving, slipping tranny or no traction (althrough odd with a semi stock gt to have bad traction past 30-40 mph). Oh well these things happen on the streets.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    The other night, on the way to the gym I was challenged by a '99 mustang convertible with a LOUD exhaust making the sound that, much like the boxer rumble, characterizes v8 mustangs. We raced three times. From ~50 mph, I immediately pulled past him and continued until we shut down around 100mph. From about 40, he pulled to where my nose was at his door, and we stayed that way until we shut down. I then convinced him to go from a stop, where I launched from 5k, creaming him. We talked for a bit after, and I found out he had a Kenny Bell S/C @ 6psi. I was wondering how much power he could make, because it seems strange that my 202 whp would defeat him? Speculation?
    Muhahaha!!! Blown mustang will not only eat you, but you wont see him on 3rd beeep...!!!
    NO CHANCES even if you have cobb "stage 3" whatever.

You shure it wasn't one of those ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS???

Quote Originally Posted by FASSTI
    You shure it wasn't one of those ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGERS???

TURBONATOR!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!