Stage 3 '06 WRX - 12.34@111mph!!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stage 3 '06 WRX - 12.34@111mph!!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Chiketkd While the STI gears are much shorter, 1st gear is so short it's almost useless in ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    While the STI gears are much shorter, 1st gear is so short it's almost useless in drag racing. From what I've been told, you literally have to make an upshift to 2nd very shortly after your launch - sometimes while your tires are still spinning.

On modified cars, taller gears can actually help to lower 1/4 mile times by improving traction.

They're a lot of factors at play and obviously we're splitting hairs.
    My times became worse after I swapped the 6 speed in. The sti gears are just too short.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ilivas
    My times became worse after I swapped the 6 speed in. The sti gears are just too short.
    I've helped a friend move a WRX 5spd and STI 6spd around in his garage. The WRX 5spd weighs ~100lbs less than the 6spd. That coupled with the fact that the STI 6spd gears are designed more for road racing (keeping the engine in its powerband) than pure drag racing - 'cuz if it was designed for drag racing, Subaru would have made 2nd and 4th gears a little taller, as an upshift to 3rd gear is needed on a 0-60mph run and an upshift to 5th is needed just to crack 100mph.

Also, look at it this way, a good driver takes around 0.25 seconds to make an upshift (during this time the drivetrain is disengaged from the engine i.e. no acceleration will occur). On a WRX, 3 shifts are needed to complete the 1/4 mile, so in the hands of a *good* driver, the WRX's engine will not be able to accelrate the car for ~0.75 seconds. On an STI 4 shifts are needed to complete the 1/4 mile, which will be ~1 second that the engine isn't accelerating the car.

Given the same whp and the WRX weighing 100-150lbs less, the WRX will win every time given equal drivers in both cars.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ilivas
    Yup. A stock WRX would be faster with the STI trans, and an STi would be faster with a WRX trans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12