06 wrx vs. 06 gti
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 wrx vs. 06 gti within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my roomate bought a new gti and i have an 06 wrx. now i know i should easily take him ...

06 wrx vs. 06 gti

my roomate bought a new gti and i have an 06 wrx. now i know i should easily take him from a launch but from a 20-80 roll or something do you think i would win. i think so because my car weighs a tad less than his (like 50 lbs or something since i have the tr) and has more whp. but i was just curious. both completely stock for now. also offhand does anyone know what the average gti driver is running in the 1/4?
    Shawn Williams
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maverick62585
    my roomate bought a new gti and i have an 06 wrx. now i know i should easily take him from a launch but from a 20-80 roll or something do you think i would win. i think so because my car weighs a tad less than his (like 50 lbs or something since i have the tr) and has more whp. but i was just curious. both completely stock for now. also offhand does anyone know what the average gti driver is running in the 1/4?
    Not even close. You'll take your roommate from a dead stop or a roll w/o any problems. Best time I've seen for the new GTI was a 6spd model that got a 14.7@94-95mph in the June issue of MotorTrend (best time for a DSG model was around 15.0).

I've gone 13.74@98mph in my bone stock TR and most drivers are able to run 14.0@95-97mph.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

yeah i've seen your times. i posted in another thread that you were my idol haha. my goal is to get 14.0 flat before i do anything to my car (if i do anything to my car). i don't know how you're doing so much better than me. i had a 1.971 60' and i noticed with your 2.xx 60' you were still pulling in the 13s. i only pulled a 14.4 at 94.3 mph. granted i let off the gas when i got to the sign because i thought that was the finish line but that's probably not much of a gain. it was my first time at the track haha so i guess i was an idiot.
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

yeah i've seen your times. i posted in another thread that you were my idol haha. my goal is to get 14.0 flat before i do anything to my car (if i do anything to my car). i don't know how you're doing so much better than me. i had a 1.971 60' and i noticed with your 2.xx 60' you were still pulling in the 13s. i only pulled a 14.4 at 94.3 mph. granted i let off the gas when i got to the sign because i thought that was the finish line but that's probably not much of a gain. it was my first time at the track haha so i guess i was an idiot.
    The conditions on my second trip were much better than on my first. Humidity was around 20% and the temps were in the mid to upper 50's. Besides those factors, my shifts are extremely quick! I shift with a light hand, but move the shifter very swiftly and deliberately into the next gear.

P.S. You also have to play with your shift points and let your intercooler cool down between runs to raise your trap speed.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

are you currently posting the quickest stock 06 wrx times? you think you are about maxed out or you can go quicker?

i'll mess with shift points, i notice you shift from 2 to 3 at about 6400 and 3rd to 4th at 6250 or something like that right? i'll mess around with it, generally its pretty hot where i am.

this week is exam week for me but i think this weekend i may head out to the track.
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

I actually ran faster 60ft, 330ft, and 1/8 than him in my 06 TR, but I was in a 1/8 mile track. Soon I will head to a 1/4 mile track and see if a can beat the 13.78 number.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

are you currently posting the quickest stock 06 wrx times? you think you are about maxed out or you can go quicker?

i'll mess with shift points, i notice you shift from 2 to 3 at about 6400 and 3rd to 4th at 6250 or something like that right? i'll mess around with it, generally its pretty hot where i am.

this week is exam week for me but i think this weekend i may head out to the track.
    Currently on clubwrx, i-club and nasioc I have the fastest bone-stock '06 WRX time with proof. Do I feel 13.74 is the fastest I can go? Nope. I need to learn how to cut consistent 1.7-1.8 60ft times and when I do, a low 13.6 will happen.

I'm keeping my car stock for the time being as I'm competing in SCCA D-Stock this season. I plan to take her back to the strip in the early Fall to shoot for lower times.

Yeah, my shift points are: 1-2 6,500rpms, 2-3 6,400rpms, 3-4 6,250rpms. They're a bit higher than what most people recommend, but honestly when I tried shifting at 6,000rpms I found that my trap speed was a good 2mph lower. The thing to remember, even though boost tapers off in the upper rpms, the gear you're in has a better mechanical advantage than the next one you're going to up-shift into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drod
    I actually ran faster 60ft, 330ft, and 1/8 than him in my 06 TR, but I was in a 1/8 mile track. Soon I will head to a 1/4 mile track and see if a can beat the 13.78 number.
    Drod,

What was the break down of your best 1/8 mile run to date? A guy in my SCCA club (alltracin on NASIOC) has also cut a faster 60ft, 330ft and 1/8th et than me - but my trap speed at the 1/8th was 1mph higher. He also feels like his car has a 13.6 in her.

Btw, I know it was probably a typo, but I ran a 13.74...
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

cool thanks for the tips chike. also what do you think a good time is in our 06s. i know yours is a great time and very few drivers will ever get there. personally i'm pretty new to the whole drag racing scene. do you think my goal of 14.0 is an adequate one?
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

cool thanks for the tips chike. also what do you think a good time is in our 06s. i know yours is a great time and very few drivers will ever get there. personally i'm pretty new to the whole drag racing scene. do you think my goal of 14.0 is an adequate one?
    I think a 14.0 is definitely a solid time for an '06. On my first trip to the track when humidity was in the 70% range and temps were in the 60's, my best that evening was a 14.01@97.

I definitely feel most decent driver's should be able to run a 13.9-14.0 in an '06 WRX!

Best of luck and post your results in the Drag Racing forum after you go!

-Chike
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

well i went to the track again tonight and i had a few horrible runs. like a 15.2 where i miss shifted and bogged. a bunch of 14.6s and then finally i got a 14.226 @ 95.31 mph with a 1.976 60' time which was my goal. to hit 14.2 tonight. i was running an 03 mustang gt and i beat him. i had the jump on him and he started catching me but i held him off.

my roommate in his gti ran a 15.3 @ 93 mph. he's new to launching it so i think he'll get a 14.9 eventually. me and him did a roll race on the way home, second gear 20 mph to about 65. he had me until about the top of second gear then i pulled him pretty hard. i had him by 65 and so we both slowed down since it was apparent i was going to keep walking him. overall a pretty good night.
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

Great time Shawn!! And nice kill on the drive home!!!

-Chike
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

hey chike, how are you launching your car?
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

hey chike, how are you launching your car?
    I'm varying the revs between 4,500-5,000rpms and on the third amber light, I slip the clutch quickly and shoot off. I wasn't doing this aggressively before so no boost was being built - hence my 1.9 60ft. If done aggressively, you can cut a 1.7-1.8 60ft that way (as boost will be built).
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    I'm varying the revs between 4,500-5,000rpms and on the third amber light, I slip the clutch quickly and shoot off. I wasn't doing this aggressively before so no boost was being built - hence my 1.9 60ft. If done aggressively, you can cut a 1.7-1.8 60ft that way (as boost will be built).
    doing this how great is the chance that you'll harm something on the car. as much as i want a better time, this is my daily driver and i'd just prefer to have it in one piece. i don't want to damage my clutch or break something else. so you slip the clutch not drop it? that's what i've been doing, when i drop the clutch i generally bog down.
    Shawn Williams
    14.226 @ 95.31 mph

doing this how great is the chance that you'll harm something on the car. as much as i want a better time, this is my daily driver and i'd just prefer to have it in one piece. i don't want to damage my clutch or break something else. so you slip the clutch not drop it? that's what i've been doing, when i drop the clutch i generally bog down.
    I can't promise you that nothing will break, but typically, transmissions are built so that the weakest link is the clutch. As long as you slip the clutch, you shoul be fine and your tranny should last. If you do drop clutch starts, you take the clutch out of the equation and almost all of the strain is being placed on the tranny gears and drivetrain.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.