odd encounter with a customer while in my WRX
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on odd encounter with a customer while in my WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a customer come in the other day, son and mom and they were looking for a car for ...

odd encounter with a customer while in my WRX

I had a customer come in the other day, son and mom and they were looking for a car for the son (about 17 yrs old or so). He wanted a sports car and mom was ok with that.

remember we carry Pontiac, Jeep, Subaru, BMW and Hyundai (not all in the same building). I showed them the Impreza 2.5i, then a 2006 WRX TR. He wouldnt even sit it in and decided he wanted a Tiburon since it was a sportier car. They origanally came on wanting to go look at the TIB, but I wanted to show him the better car, more power, etc, especially since they wanted sports car type of vehicle.

I showed him the reviews and other info on the WRX, but he wouldnt hear that it would destroy a tiburon as far as power, acceleration, durability, resale, etc.

so, he ends up buying a V6 GT Tib.

I ran into him last night on my way home from watching some of the local drag races at a drag strip's "import and bike night".

needless to say he and his buddies were talking trash for about a mile or so, trying to get me to race on this redneck back woods road (straight road, no traffic or side roads). after coming to a stop light, i finally give in and tell him "fine, if it will get you to stop bugging me, but i want money for the gas this takes me to beat you when we are done". anyway, I am in a stage 2 bugeye. it wasnt pretty and he wouldnt even pull up close enough to me where i could make a smart remark. I was going to ask him if he wanted to try again in 3 inches of snow next winter..but never had the chance.

so much for the theory of sports car only meaning 2 doors.

he isnt a bad customer or anything, but had it in his mind that the 2 door sporty car had to be faster than a 4 door and wouldnt even sit in the WRX or test drive one.

on the other hand, I had a customer of mine come in this afternoon and drive the STI. He thought about getting an Audi, evo or something else, but the guys at mitsu here wouldnt let him drive one unless he was going to buy today or tomorrow. this guy is a 40 something year old surgeon that was his another surgeon buddy in his land cruiser. i dont get why the dealer would be that like. he will be buying an STI tomorrow morning...just deciding on white or steel gray. he left a deposit to hold both until tomorrow morning. he said there is no use in looking at Audi because no audi he has ever seen or been in will drive like that for under $35k.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

But Tiburon means shark and sharks don't lose. I am calling you know this kid smoked you.

I can't say much I might have boughten an equally retarded car when I was 17 if my mom was paying for it as I didn't really care or know much about cars.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Thats why kids are losers...Tiburons are pretty good looking, but I don't dignify them by looking at them driving by. It's like driving a non-turbo eclipse. Looks nice, slow as hell...and all the drivers think they're fast.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Subaru > Hi-yun-die-yay
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I don't know why some salesmen (and I suppose managers) have to act that way about their cars. If it's a 20 yr old kid who obviously has no intention of buying the Evo I can see declining a test drive but for someone who obviously has the means to buy one quite easily, I don't know why you'd refuse. Any MD past his residency could pay cash for an Evo each month.

I'm in my 30s and I've never been refused a test drive at any dealership. I never go "just to look" though, so anyone who refuses me a drive also loses a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    Subaru > Hi-yun-die-yay
    Just wait till Hyundai puts the 260 hp v6 from the Azera into the Tiberon. Even the Sonata's 235 hp would be a 50+ hp improvement over the current one. Give it the 3.8 though with a LSD and it'd be quite competitive.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    I don't know why some salesmen (and I suppose managers) have to act that way about their cars. If it's a 20 yr old kid who obviously has no intention of buying the Evo I can see declining a test drive but for someone who obviously has the means to buy one quite easily, I don't know why you'd refuse. Any MD past his residency could pay cash for an Evo each month.

I'm in my 30s and I've never been refused a test drive at any dealership. I never go "just to look" though, so anyone who refuses me a drive also loses a sale.

Just wait till Hyundai puts the 260 hp v6 from the Azera into the Tiberon. Even the Sonata's 235 hp would be a 50+ hp improvement over the current one. Give it the 3.8 though with a LSD and it'd be quite competitive.
    I dont understand why a dealer would do that either. the sales person should be able to tell relatively fast if they are for real and have the means to pay for a car like that and are a buyer or if they are just out to kill time and play around a little.

why buy a new Hyundai when you can wait a year and buy it 30% or more less than original MSRP? Resale Value isnt there and seeing some of the service tickets, they are better than they used to be, but not to par with the subaru quality.

average subaru buyer keeps their car 7 years and/or 100k. We sell a lot of Subaru's with 100k or more. we always have a list of people wanting them when we trade for them. most people do not trade their old subaru, they give it to family or sell it to a friend that wants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

regardless of anything in the entire world, i would never ever ever ever even consider a f ing tiburon over a wrx? i mean, maybe entirely stock your plain wrx doesn't look that sporty, but a simple pair of rims or front lip.. plus the power your getting and handling... i dont ever see how u could turn it down?

props to the guy going with the STi, i drove the new S4.. (my buddies dad just traded his 03 M3 for the 05 S4) and as fun as the S4 is.. i still chose drive my buddie Earls 04 stage 2 STi

O-diz

**could any other car company produce a car that brings so many car feens together?**
    holla atchya boy!

I'd buy a Tiburon! They look good. Of course I wouldn't leave it stock. On the other hand I wouldn't buy one over a WRX. Kids will be kids. Maybe some day he will grow up.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Werd. He probably didnt know anything about either car & went on looks alone. You learned him.

On a side note about dealerships & test driving. I'm 30 years young, (don't look it at all but not the point), and before i bought my WRX in 04 in VA Beach, another dealership wouldn't let me drive an STi w/o a $2K deposit. "Are you kidding? I make more than you do salesguy!" is what i wanted to say.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by John M
    Agreed. The Hyundai Tiburon definitely looks sporty and with a different parts bin engine, it could be in the same performance league as the new Mitsu Eclipse and be quite competitive...

With that said, they're several Tib drivers who think their cars are the fastAr and try to race my WRX. A few weeks ago, there was an orange Tib behind me at a stop light during my morning drive to work. He was revving his engine and when the light turned green, I took off solidly w/o launching and short shifted at 3,500rpms in 1st and 2nd gears. He stayed close to my bumper and I could tell he felt like he had 'owned' my Rex. Two days later, we're back at the same light with my car infront of his. I could tell he was feeling cocky as he had a huge grin on his face... I still didn't launch but shifted at 6,000rpms in 1st and 2nd. I put a 8+ car gap on him and that grin on his face was gone.

He hasn't tried to race me since...
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Sometimes I want to go to the dealership and just poke around... you know, peer in the windows, look under the car... it's those days where I just want the salesman to LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE. Of course, it is those days that they are right in front of you before you can take your key out of the ignition...

I have found that if you want to be taken seriously at the dealeship, you have to dress the part. I once went looking wearing a ratty t-shirt and shorts... and I got ignored. But if I go to the dealership in uniform... then I get great service.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Man, now I feel really fortunate to have great dealerships around me. Down in Motor City I'll sometimes go test driving while waiting to get my oil changed. The only dealership that wouldn't let me test drive the car I wanted was Pontiac when I was looking at the new GTO. Other than that other places have let me drive STi's, EVO, RX-8, 350z, S2000 (which was a lot more fun than I expected), Golf R32, biturbo S4, RSX, LGT, etc. I almost took an SRT4 for a test drive but after sitting in the thing for 3 min I wanted to get the hell out of it. I drove the new Mustang and hated it. In their defense they didn't have a GT on the lot, but I couldn't wait to get back in my WRX by the time the drive was over. Why the hell do I need the gauge cluster to change 100+ different colors anyway?

The experience at the Lexus dealership was something else. They treated me very well and like I had a lot of cash to blow. I was helping a friend look for her next car (college grad present). She didn't really care for any of the Lexus' on the lot and eventually fell in love with the Mazda3. Anyway, the salesman was pretty cool and we sat there talking cars for a little bit before finally leaving. The guy was in his late 30's and had like 5 cars in his garage and a few bikes. Then again he'd never been married and didn't have any kids...
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

Last week I had the 02 bugeye and 04 STi in the drive after washing them and some high school kid who lives down the street drives by really slow and free revs his engine a few times before putting back in drive. I just waved at him and he gave me some dirty look. Oh well I'd be pretty sour too if I had to drive an automatic tiburon. I guess I'd probably be mad with a manual Tiburon as well.

I walked into the mitsu dealership ready to ride out in an evo, and they bs'ed me and said I couldn't drive it until I signed the paperwork and then I had 3 days to back out. Then the cocky bastard said "if you know anything about this car, you don't need to test drive it". I rode by about 2 hours later in my brand new 06 TR and waived.

Dumb dealerships. That is why mitsu is always in the red....bad business practices. Subaru would have let me take a dump in the trunk if I wanted. Hell I put a couple hundred miles on the car before I actually "signed" the paperwork. The would have let me test drive an STI if it wasn't jammed in the middle of the showroom...of course they offered to move it out for me, but I declined.
    stupidman has spoken

I had a dealership tell me I had to pay $50.00 to test drive an EVO and would get my $50.00 if I purchased the car. I'm a 35 year old Asst Web Development mgr not some young kid.

Needless to say I told him to piss off and I would drive 100 miles to another dealership before I ever purchased a car from them.

As for the TIBBY. My GF's brother picked one up and thought he was faster then my stg2 WRX. He found out hard how slow his car was.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast