06 wrx tr vs. mazda 6 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 wrx tr vs. mazda 6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by YBNormal07 This reminds me of the arguments about the stock capabilities of the 04 STi when it ...

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    This reminds me of the arguments about the stock capabilities of the 04 STi when it came out. Meaning, the number of 06 WRX drivers that will be capable of posting a 13.7 or 100 mph trap speed will likey number less than a dozen across the country. I remember some folks called me an outright lier for posting a 12.9 stock time with the STi...even with slips for proof.
    Yeah I hear ya. This reminds me of when nobody believed I ran a 15.0@92mph when I first took my stock '04 WRX to the track. "You can't go that slow in a WRX" and "Oh puh-lease how could you possibly do that?" were the standard questions.

I now know they were just jealous of my mad tyte driving skeelz dawgs.

Don't be hatin'
    WRX 2004 Cobb Stage II (91) w/Helix DP ... 13.8@96.

I need an uppipe and an exhaust!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    This reminds me of the arguments about the stock capabilities of the 04 STi when it came out. . I remember some folks called me an outright lier for posting a 12.9 stock time with the STi...even with slips for proof.
    Oh shut the hell up.

We all know that you are the driver from hell that manages to squeeze every last possible ounce of power from your vehicle at the strip
    You are most certainly the exception in this case.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMan

I don't really care if you have driven a dozen of them. You obviously don't appreciate the potential and you act like EVERY competitive car is leaps and bounds above the 06 wrx. Im just saying the 06 is very potent and shouldn't be underestimated.
    You should care that I have driven plenty of them... It was in fact you that made the presumptuous claim that I must have never driven an 06'...was it not?
    I am quite appreciative of the upgrades in the 2006' wrx and I am well educated on the subject, and well aware of the potential this car has to offer both in stock form, and in a modified form.
    However, I am in a unique position of not thinking my car is capable of more than it is... ( a common problem with thick headed automotive owners ).

I agree the 06' shouldn't but underestimated. Many people outside of the regular forum go-er's are unaware that Subaru underrated the car and it makes a good 15whp+ more than the previous models and even more torque.

I was speaking more of consistency in this aspect. yes there are some ms6 that can get 1/4th times and trap speeds similar to the wrx. But even with the same driver, the runs are inconsistent with most owners saying "why did I run a 14.0 yesterday, and I couldn't get out of the 15's today"
    I agree that the car is inconsistant with its times.... This is primarily due to the heat-soak the car sees, which is fairly severe IMO. However, it is considerably more consistant with its trap speeds than the wrx is if you are you are setting the bar as high as 100mph traps for the wrx. You will see more MS6's trapping near 100mph than you will 06' wrx's.

First, you contradict yourself here, because before you acted as if the MS6 is trapping consistently higher than the 06 wrx which is NOT TRUE.
    No, I did not contradict myself. Apparently your user name reflects your intelligence more-so then I had assumed. In order to create a self-imposed contradiction I would have to say one thing, and then follow up with something that was inconsistant with what I had said earlier. What you just said above does not prove a contradiction... It is merely me saying something and you saying I am wrong

Both cars (06' wrx and MS6) can trap as low as 95mph and as high as 100mph. That is not the issue at hand though.. The issue is the consistancy of that trap. An 06' wrx (while it has gone 98/99 mph with slips to prove it) there are maybe 4 people that have done it. Most people are trapping on average 95-97.... I agree that once people get the hang of it the car will be more consistant with 97/98 traps on a great day... but there is not way in hell the 06' wrx will see consistant traps in the 99/100mph area like you claim... It just wont happen. A few people with perfect conditions at sea level... sure.... But that is it.
    Now lets look at the MS6 which you have HANDFULLS of members trapping 98-99mph and in fact, 97/98 seems to be pretty regular as opposed to the wrx which sees regular traps just a couple mph below that... and the best driven rex's are trapping 98 MAYBE 99, where as MS6's that are best driven are going for 100/101.

Almost Every 06 IS capable of 13.xx, and here is where the consistency and quality build also plays a factor. NOT only is an individual 06 wrx consistent, but as a whole the car is very consistent. Meaning I could hop into a choda boy's 06 and crank off the same 1/4th times I have been cranking off in my own. The MS6 IS NOT LIKE THAT and if you try to argue with that, then maybe you need to go test drive 4 or 5 of those. Or just read some of their forums....some of the better drivers are getting cars that can't break out of the 15's and they hop in thier buddies and run a 14. Trust me, I looked into buying one for about a half a second.

Peace
    This is not about how consistant the MS6 can be at the track for a day. I already noted that the car gets bad heat soak.. However, that does not change the fact that more MS6's are trapping a higher average than more 06' wrx's it seems.

I am not discrediting the 06' wrx. It is a great car, and IMO the best performance car for the money on the entire market and the new upgrades were VERY VERY well done by Subaru. However, that does not warrant false information and you thinking that every 06' and their mom is going to run a 13.7 @ 100mph. Sure, a few people will do it, maybe even 10.. but the reality of it is that a car is only as good as its driver. The best driven 06' i the world might hit 13.6 @ 101, but guess what.. the best driven MS6 will do the same.
    And the point is that while both are capable of similar times when driven to their best ability, the MS6 is easier to get those times from. You give ten random drivers ten MS6's and 10 random drivers ten 06's I bet the MS6 will see consistantly higher traps..... It just an issue of gearing and turbo breathing capability.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Oh shut the hell up.

We all know that you are the driver from hell that manages to squeeze every last possible ounce of power from your vehicle at the strip
    You are most certainly the exception in this case.
    someone has to "educate" the newbs of my j. force like driving capabilities....

Funny thing is, I rarely go to the track...maybe twice a year if that. I'd much rather go somewhere where turning is required. Something which i am confident, given the same rubber, that the Impreza and Legacy platforms would stomp all over a MS6 on.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Good points DTR, I agree with you for the most part. Except that the 06 puts down 20-25 more hp than previous years on the same dyno's. And as far as "most" 06 wrx owners getting 95-97, It is more like half get 95-97 and the other half get 98-99. And its not like we even have hundreds of timeslips to go from. Maybe slips from a dozen or so owners if that between several forums. I don't count mouth or gtech.

Also, I don't think this car is a supercar by any means. I am coming from a single turbo rx7 and a supra, with 500hp and 450hp respectively. This car feels slow in comparison to those even now with vf39. But I will tell you it is a hell of a lot faster than most people think ESPECIALLY older wrx owners. Also believe it or not, I have driven several 2.0 wrx's including an 05 and they are not even in the same league stock vs stock.

From what I am gathering though, you do agree that the 06 wrx is more consistent, and best vs best quarter times/traps are very similar. So why would the 06 not be the obvious victor in this situation?

Also, when I was refering to the consistency factor of the model "WRX", I simply meant that if you lined up 100 06 wrx's and 100 ms6's and had the same great driver bust off quarter miles in each, the wrx would have the faster e.t. and trap average between the two.

I mean come on, car and driver pulled off like a 15.7 average of 3 because of the inconsistency and heatsoak issue with one ms6. And bested like a 14.5 with a better running one.
    stupidman has spoken

I have an idea, we can get YBN to bust off a q run in a stock ms6 and stock 06 wrx and see which one wins. Thats the only way to settle this matter once and for all.

I put 1000yen on the wrx trapping 101.97
    stupidman has spoken

this may be a dumb question but what is a 100mph trap

Quote Originally Posted by djxtc
    this may be a dumb question but what is a 100mph trap
    The statement '100mph trap' refers to the trap speed reached at the end of a 1/4 mile. On a 1/4 mile track, there are timing lights 60ft apart right before the finish. Based on the time it takes your car to cover the last 60ft, your trap speed is calculated. However, it's not a true terminal velocity - as it's an average.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    The statement '100mph trap' refers to the trap speed reached at the end of a 1/4 mile. On a 1/4 mile track, there are timing lights 60ft apart right before the finish. Based on the time it takes your car to cover the last 60ft, your trap speed is calculated. However, it's not a true terminal velocity - as it's an average.
    alright i got it, thanks bro

Good points DTR, I agree with you for the most part. Except that the 06 puts down 20-25 more hp than previous years on the same dyno's. And as far as "most" 06 wrx owners getting 95-97, It is more like half get 95-97 and the other half get 98-99. And its not like we even have hundreds of timeslips to go from. Maybe slips from a dozen or so owners if that between several forums. I don't count mouth or gtech.
    I agree that the 06' can put down as much as 25whp over previous years. I was just pulling an average which is about 15-20whp higher... but there are certainly circumstances where they are are getting 25whp more.

I still do not agree that half of 06' drivers that bring their car to the track will pull off 98/99 traps. The majority that I have seen are in the 95-97 range (I would guestimate a good 75%) and then I have seen maybe 5 slips where there are traps of 98/99/100 (the other 20-25% perhaps).

Also, I don't think this car is a supercar by any means. I am coming from a single turbo rx7 and a supra, with 500hp and 450hp respectively. This car feels slow in comparison to those even now with vf39. But I will tell you it is a hell of a lot faster than most people think ESPECIALLY older wrx owners. Also believe it or not, I have driven several 2.0 wrx's including an 05 and they are not even in the same league stock vs stock.
    When I said supercar, I did not mean literally, lol. What I meant was that there are too many 06' drivers that act like their car is a supercar and when they purchase it they expect the car to automatically pull mid 13's @ 100mph. Like ONE person has done that, and yet I have encountered people who think all them are doing that. I frequent a couple other car forums that are not specific to Subaru and even they complain of how 06' owners think they are driving a mid 13sec car.

It is just like how Z28's and WS6's rocking the LS1 have gone 12.9 @ 108mph before, and many many others in the very very low 13's. Yet, the average one on the street is good for mid-higher 13's @ 105/106mph. It would be ridiculous if every Fbody owner was saying their car was a high 12sec car stock.... You get my point.

Hell, I would love to drive my friends 06' wrx at the track. I promise you I will get into the 13's and probably trap a good 98mph... however I also ran a 13.3 with 02' that only had tbe, uppipe, and MBC. My point is that the car *can* be capable of those times, but if are not a great driver and do not have a slip next to you to prove it, then dont say it...
    and the just the same, MS6 owners shouldn't be going around saying their car is a 13.7 @ 101mph car either just because a couple did it.

From what I am gathering though, you do agree that the 06 wrx is more consistent, and best vs best quarter times/traps are very similar. So why would the 06 not be the obvious victor in this situation?

Also, when I was refering to the consistency factor of the model "WRX", I simply meant that if you lined up 100 06 wrx's and 100 ms6's and had the same great driver bust off quarter miles in each, the wrx would have the faster e.t. and trap average between the two.

I mean come on, car and driver pulled off like a 15.7 average of 3 because of the inconsistency and heatsoak issue with one ms6. And bested like a 14.5 with a better running one.
    Yes, I do agree the 06' is a more consistant car with its 1/4mile and trap because the mazda gets horrible heat soak and has trouble running more than twice.
    If you kept running the same car 10 times in a row I have no doubt the wrx would win a majority of the races... My point is just that these cars are so close in comparison (performance wise) that the victor is no one but the driver. Both cars are capable of mid-high 13's @100mph with the best driver and perfect conditions, but in the same sense, both cars are also very capable of only producting times in the mid 14's @ 95mph.
    I just think the MS6 has more consistant trap speed, meaning that most of the time it will trap a couple mph ahead of the wrx...

however if these two cars ever were to meet, it would be a drivers race IMO. I know a guy with an MS6 and another with an 06'. I would love to run them and see what happens, but the problem is that neither of them know how to drive their car yet.

BTW, car and driver bested a 14.0 @ 99mph with the MS6.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 05-09-2006 at 09:04 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an idea, we can get YBN to bust off a q run in a stock ms6 and stock 06 wrx and see which one wins. Thats the only way to settle this matter once and for all.

I put 1000yen on the wrx trapping 101.97
    Been known to do that for friends who want to claim better times for their ride. I would prefer though, to drive a Porsche GT and a Zonda....if someone could please arrange that for me????
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I hear you DTR, and apparently we agree more on the subject than originally garnered. I read back over my post and it sounds like I was "attacking" you, and I apologize

I certainly don't want to mislead that the 06 is the reckoning force on the street. But I want to make sure people know they are NOT like the early model wrx, and cannot be compared in the same manner or even against the same competition at least in a straight line. Most of the 06's have 13's in them, whether the driver can get that or not. And, you are right that most drivers are going to bang off 14's.

And as far as people claiming mid 13's, of course they will, that is the benchmark for this vehicle and is now the 'target' so to speak. And with the 06, they could claim that, and get a good driver to actually get those #'s. Therefore, it is going to be the most touted number as with any performance car. And chances are we will see plenty of timeslips soon enough that prove its true capabilties.
    stupidman has spoken

Fastest stock 'confirmed' '06 WRX times I've seen have been:

13.74@98.25 (Chiketkd) WRX TR
    13.85@95.62 (MattDSTi) WRX wagon
    13.89@99.8 (CynicX) WRX TR

There have also been a bunch of owners who've gone 14.0-14.2 with traps in the 95-97mph range.

Note: A few people have claimed that last Fall they *saw* stock '06 WRXs go 13.4-13.6@99-100mph, but no timeslip or vid has ever been posted to verify these claims.
    I've quoted myself as I did some research on mazda6club.com wanted to post the fastest 'stock' MS6 times done on pump gas:

13.76@99.03mph (Crankshaft) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...opic=49685&hl=
    13.77@98.94mph (ATL) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=48539
    13.79@97.18mph (mfast1) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...pic=52063&st=0

Those trap speeds for the stock MS6, 97-99mph, are all traps that '06 WRXs have run. These two cars seem to be extremely well matched.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

I've quoted myself as I did some research on mazda6club.com wanted to post the fastest 'stock' MS6 times done on pump gas:

13.76@99.03mph (Crankshaft) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...opic=49685&hl=
    13.77@98.94mph (ATL) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=48539
    13.79@97.18mph (mfast1) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...pic=52063&st=0

Those trap speeds for the stock MS6, 97-99mph, are all traps that '06 WRXs have run. These two cars seem to be extremely well matched.
    Those are the fastest times, but I believe as far as fastest traps go there are a few people at 100mph or so.

Either way, you are correct. Both cars are incredibly well matched in both e.t. and trap.
    Just call me Clark Kent

no match?

Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    If you can drive, you'll beat the MasdaSpeed 6. They have nice interior but they're not a match for an 06 WRX. Get a downpipe and increase your chances, or go all the way to Stage 2 and have no worries about them.
    How is a ms6 no match for an 06 wrx?

274>230=tehgay

Even at stage II, you'd barely be hitting the base 6 numbers. If anything, it would be a drivers race.....tune a mazdaspeed6 and who knows!

I own an stageII 04jvb wagon but am not dissillusioned by what our cars can and cant do.

Its ok if we dont own the fastest/coolest/nicest/most luxoriest car on the road. Right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.