06 WRX stg 2 vs S4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX stg 2 vs S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I was up waiting for a few friends to call me to hangout and I was parked in ...

06 WRX stg 2 vs S4

Last night I was up waiting for a few friends to call me to hangout and I was parked in a local parking lot where people gather usually. So a EVO, SRT4 and a S4 roll up and they seem to be pretty cool so I was talking to him. The S4 driver jokingly asked if I wanna run real quick, so immediately I was like hell yea lets do it.

We line up at this long strip and get ready. I rev out to 4k and go off the line; we were neck and neck up to 3rd then I started to pull him. I ended up getting a car length on him before we shutdown. I had a kindof ****ty launch too.

How fast are s4's?
    2007 SWP STI
    2006 WRB WRX 11.5@119mph ~sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year was the s4?
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

dunno but i know it was the twin turbo one... He had it completely debadged and I don't know much about Audi's.
    2007 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy
    dunno but i know it was the twin turbo one... He had it completely debadged and I don't know much about Audi's.
    Stock the last gen TT S4's are very low 14 second cars (very high 13's with a good driver). They are easy to mod though and a simple chip can add 40+hp.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

I think he mentioned something about having a chip....
    2007 SWP STI

1) S4 was never a twin turbo. It was a bi-turbo. They are two different things.

2) Stock they are very low 14sec cars (slightly quicker than a stock wrx, with a traps a few mph higher).

3) You said he had a chip, which would put an S4 right around the mid-lower 13sec range, which right around where a stageII wrx would be... So the race outcome def. makes sense.

4) Watch it though. With full exhaust and well tuned ecu/chip they are 12sec cars.

5) Good kill
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Depends on whether or not they have a 1 bar chip or a 1.2 bar chi... however they are capable of running 12.8's chipped.
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    1) S4 was never a twin turbo. It was a bi-turbo. They are two different things.
    What's the difference?
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

I had a 2001 S4. Great car. The small turbo's made great low-end torque with very minimal lag. The top end thought was a bit flat I thought. What hurts the car is the vehicles weight.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    What's the difference?
    That's a good question. I'm assuming a traditional twin-turbo setup uses some kind of step or stage set up. I think the RX7 and Supra used a similar configuration. One small turbo to build boost and torque while the larger turbo was spooling for the top end?!? When I had my S4, each bank had a very small compressor. Again, I am not 100% sure that is the correct explanation.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Correct me if I am wrong, (and I often am), but I think a twin turbo utilizes one turbo for each "side" of the engine, utilizing the exhaust from half the engine to spool each turbo.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    That's a good question. I'm assuming a traditional twin-turbo setup uses some kind of step or stage set up. I think the RX7 and Supra used a similar configuration. One small turbo to build boost and torque while the larger turbo was spooling for the top end?!? When I had my S4, each bank had a very small compressor. Again, I am not 100% sure that is the correct explanation.
    What you say is true about the last gen RX-7 and Supra TT - they both had sequential turbos where the smaller one came on-line before the larger one. However, that wouldn't hold true for the '90-'96 300ZX TT and '91-'99 3000GT VR-4. They had turbos of equal size feeding each bank of the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    Correct me if I am wrong, (and I often am), but I think a twin turbo utilizes one turbo for each "side" of the engine, utilizing the exhaust from half the engine to spool each turbo.
    That's possible, but does the Audi biturbo system in the last gen S4 or the current RS6 work completely differently? I always thought it was a marketing term more than anything else.

DTR rex needs to educate us all on this.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Audi of South Africa to the rescue....

The “bi” comes from Latin and means “two”. The “Biturbo” designation in connection with Audi V engines signifies that two turbocharger have been installed, one for each bank of cylinders. The driver benefits from increased torque at the low end, more power at the upper end and improved engine response. Audi uses these advantages in the Audi RS 4, for example as well as in its competition cars (the Audi R8).

http://www.audi.co.za/glossary/b/biturbo

So there's no difference in calling an S4, RS4, RS6 or R8 a twin turbo since the Audi biturbo set-up functions in the same way as the TT set-up in other cars.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

My 2002 stg2 WRX raced my friends stock 2000 S4 and smoked it pretty bad. He just added a GIAC chip and tiptronic chip but we haven't gotten a chance to run them yet. But I drove the car and I think it's quicker then my WRX. Having the 2.5L and fxt tranny should help you out more. So the race sounds like a chipped S4.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Recap.. I ran my friends GIAC chipped S4 yesterday. From 20 to 75 the end was his front bumper was at my back door. before his chip he was like 2 to 3 cars back so that a big improvement for the money he spent.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.