STI vs 350Z - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As far as reliability is concerned, Subaru's record is far less tarnished than Nissan. High performance Subarus are pretty damn ...

nissans reliability

As far as reliability is concerned, Subaru's record is far less tarnished than Nissan. High performance Subarus are pretty damn reliable unless overly modified and badly tuned. Nissan on the other hand has a track record of cars falling apart on people for decades now. Drop the 350Z, if your going to get anything besides an STI make it an Evo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i myself would go with a 350Z first choice. theres just something about the USDM STi that doesnt say "genuine rally car" to me - 2.5L engine, powerful but not the real deal FOB stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by allday_e
    car and driver, april 2006
    300-foot-diamater skidpad:
    350Z-.88g
    STI-.92g
    Between these two car in performance and handling theres no doubt. The STI dominates, you know what to do.
    Skid pad numbers aren't really representative of handling as they mainly showcase the tires and the STi comes with some of the stickiest tires for a stock car. Slalom numbers are more accurate but the ultimate measure is still lap times. But yes, I do agree the STi handles a bit better.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    The 2006 350Z has 300hp now. Its the pimp car.
    Unfortunately they dropped the Tq value (for the 6-speed anyway). It's 267ft lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Handling wise from my experience:

Number wise and on a track the STi is (slightly) superior, but I think overall handling "feel" the Z feels a bit better... although you can feel its weight.

But I must bring up again, EVO IV

You seem so concerned with handling, and the Evo outhandles both number wise and on a track, AND feels WAY better than each. Also, let us not forget that while the Evo is superior in handling to both, it also has all the power and speed of the STi. It is basically the very best of all worlds.

Ummmmm, yeahhhhhh. I'm going to have to sort of, disagree with you there.

I must bring this up and I don't think the guys at Car and Driver are incompetent, either.
    You may have read it before but, this whole article is good, however the 2nd page is what I'm referring to:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features...different.html
    At any rate, yeah, both the Evo and STi will outhandle the Z.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi

Ummmmm, yeahhhhhh. I'm going to have to sort of, disagree with you there.

I must bring this up and I don't think the guys at Car and Driver are incompetent, either.
    You may have read it before but, this whole article is good, however the 2nd page is what I'm referring to:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features...different.html
    At any rate, yeah, both the Evo and STi will outhandle the Z.
    Thank you. I bring up that article all the time. One of the main reasons the Evo is better than the STi is that it has better rubber (if you can imagine that!) and wider tires. Plus I don't consider 0.30 seconds to be superior handling, especially when you consider the rubber the Evo runs off the show room floor.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Thank you. I bring up that article all the time. One of the main reasons the Evo is better than the STi is that it has better rubber (if you can imagine that!) and wider tires. Plus I don't consider 0.30 seconds to be superior handling, especially when you consider the rubber the Evo runs off the show room floor.
    Consider that a lof of folks here are bench racing the STi too. Not many actually own one.
    I've only run across a couple of EVO's at AutoX and have yet to be bested by one. Including the MR that showed up a couple of weeks ago.

Approaching tight corners he would recover some of his ground but on exiting, I would literally fly away.

I get what you're saying, but I just had to do this

Last edited by rcasTX28; 05-08-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28

I get what you're saying, but I just had to do this

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. Nice visual.
    That Z driver must be pissed! Hahaha.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

lol thanks, but I give all my credit to Paint. What an incredibly advanced program

But yeah everyone wish me luck, I got my grandma to co-sign on a loan at a local dealership for an '02 WRB Rex.....Should be a getting a thumbs up or down on the loan any minute now....

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28
    lol thanks, but I give all my credit to Paint. What an incredibly advanced program

But yeah everyone wish me luck, I got my grandma to co-sign on a loan at a local dealership for an '02 WRB Rex.....Should be a getting a thumbs up or down on the loan any minute now....
    What was the approval status on your loan?
    Paint isn't overly rubust, but you can do some things if you tinker around with it.
    Can you tell where I used paint to doctor up this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by mx_9
    Consider that a lof of folks here are bench racing the STi too. Not many actually own one.
    I've only run across a couple of EVO's at AutoX and have yet to be bested by one. Including the MR that showed up a couple of weeks ago.
    I have never driven an Evo so I can't speak for it, but I would really like to, just to see how well it performs. I don't think I'd be the least bit disappointed though. I remember reading a review a while back. It pretty much summarized that they both had close handling capabilities, they just achieved them in different ways. The Evo is more precise with quicker steering and firmer suspension, while the STi just has pretty much endless amounts of grip and could could powerslide on a fairly precise path. Maybe the quicker steering/firm suspension led people to believe that the Evo was a much better handling car. I do own an STi though and you can just feel it gripping the road something proper when you are hammering it around a curve.
    I've also heard that you can get the back end to come out much easier in the Evo. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know. But you can get the STi's backend to come out around a curve if you gas it (then IMMEDIATELY after), yank the wheel in the direction of the turn (whilst still on the throttle), then countersteer as needed. It's pretty fun too!
    Last edited by mike05STi; 05-10-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    -Albert Einstein

-Ronald Reagan

I agree with your assessment that the EVO would be a fun car to drive. I'd be driving one if the local dealer hadn't marked them up so much in '03 when I bought my STi.

My best bang for the buck suspension mod was simply the addition of a 26mm front sway bar (to stay AS legal at the time). Turn in improved noticeably. I had no problem getting the rear to be tail happy before I did power mods, but it's sure easier with more torque

The two that count

I'm a big fan of both the EVO MR and the STI and thanks for that article its about time someone did the STI justice against the EVO. But with all their differences it seems like in every comparison they get from point A to point B in about the same time. But with the three grand you saved getting the STI, you could easily modify the car's suspension to rival that of an EVO making it a superior car in all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by allday_e
    I'm a big fan of both the EVO MR and the STI and thanks for that article its about time someone did the STI justice against the EVO. But with all their differences it seems like in every comparison they get from point A to point B in about the same time. But with the three grand you saved getting the STI, you could easily modify the car's suspension to rival that of an EVO making it a superior car in all aspects.
    Um, they both cost about the same unless you were talking about the Evo MR. And I would love to see an STi being in the 11's with basic bolt ons, really I would.
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Mike, Nah I can't....my only guess is (don't hate me if I'm wrong lol) that maybe you put his ***** on his tail?? hahaha I'm honestly not trying to make fun, that's a strong looking dog, but yeah that's the only guess, and if I'm wrong, or even if I'm right, then damn good job I must say.

As far is the loan goes, the guy called at about 5pm and said the bank hadn't said anything, so my guess is they're still looking at it, but from the way he was talking it sounded like it was going to go through. I get a call tommarow, and I'm real anxious/excited/nervous, cuz it's a pretty good looking/driving lil Rex. I've never had one before, or even an AWD car before period, so this is gunna be a big learning experience I think. I've tried to tell myself not to let me get my hopes up, but I failed miserably at that haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.