STI vs 350Z - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by IWantAnWRX sti might be faster and quicker but theres nothing like driving in a Z which is ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnWRX
    sti might be faster and quicker but theres nothing like driving in a Z which is more reliable and more comfortble and more mature my .02
    I advise a closer look at the door handles on the Z re: maturity.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heard the sti's trans. isn't that bad but the WRX is horrible though, they keep saying when you launch look in ur rear view for ur transmition
    Well when you have an AWD car with nice sticky tires that don't spin, and you rev it up to 5k where do you think all that power goes? Straight to the tranny.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Regarding my previous post on the comparison, take a look at the link and consider this bend:

Sti entry 143.1 kph exit 127.9 kph in 7.75 sec
    Evo8 entry 144.3 kph exit 124.3 kph in 7.7 sec
    M3 entry 146.3 kph exit 125.4 kph in 7.55 sec
    350Z entry 138.0 kph exit 123.0 kph in 7.75 sec
    RX8 entry 135.6 exit 117.1 in 7.85 kph sec

Keep in mind that particular STi comes with a 265 HP 2.0L motor, meaning it is theoretically a match for the Nissan motor, however the STi most people here are thinking of has additional power and torque.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    The reason why some people garage keep them is because they don't want to put miles on it like any other car......But the 05 model never had a problem that i know of, but i know that WRX's and sti's have a lot of transimition problemsbthats what is keeping me of buying a wrx
    Yeh what I meant is till 05 they had problems. Now in 05-06 no known problems. Like mentioned previously its all in how you treat the wrx. If you plan on launching all the time then yes your trans will go bye bye. Like toofast88 said, its all in the way you drive it.

Just for note: Ive had a 04 wrx (just sold), still have an 05 Z (its my fathers) and now a 06 STi.
    If I didn't live in NJ id buy a Z or g35 like the old man. However, his Z is not daily driven, so it doesnt worry him.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Handling wise from my experience:

Number wise and on a track the STi is (slightly) superior, but I think overall handling "feel" the Z feels a bit better... although you can feel its weight.

But I must bring up again, EVO IV

You seem so concerned with handling, and the Evo outhandles both number wise and on a track, AND feels WAY better than each. Also, let us not forget that while the Evo is superior in handling to both, it also has all the power and speed of the STi. It is basically the very best of all worlds.
    What's an Evo 4?

Quote Originally Posted by 240toSTi
    What's an Evo 4?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

sti might be faster and quicker but theres nothing like driving in a Z which is more reliable and more comfortble and more mature my .02
    More mature.... Yes.
    More reliable and more comfortable... No.

The 350Z has more reported reliability issues than the STi does, and the Z's are (in many cases) only driven maybe 6 months out of the year whereas most STi owners drive theirs all year-around.
    As for comfort... This is subjective. The Z's seats are great, but if you have ever been in one for a long time you can attest to the fact that they are cramped, whereas the STi is rather roomy and spacious. I wont argue that the Z is more "fitting" though.

Quote Originally Posted by 240toSTi
    What's an Evo 4?
    Two things to note here.

First, as I am sure you have gathered, my intention was to post IX which is an Evo9. My mistake.

Second, there is however an Evo 4. One would assume that if an Evo8 and Evo9 exist there must be ones to come before it... Unless Mitsubishi just forgot how to count... right?
    Incase you wish to educate yourself...... here is a good article you may want to consider reading to prevent such incidents in the future.
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...scc_lancerevo/

but i know that WRX's and sti's have a lot of transimition problemsbthats what is keeping me of buying a wrx
    WRX's got the bad rap for tranny problems because of an uneducated public. Car and driver was the first mag to test the 2002 wrx (first year in states) and specifically stated that they rev'd up to 5k and dropped the clutch. Others started doing this, and trannies started breaking. Granted, the tranny was pretty crappy to begin with, but a large majority of problems can be attributed to the drivers.
    In 03' they used wider gears and the problem was much less frequent. Now in 06' they are using an even better tranny in the wrx which has very few problems at all.

As for the STi, the STi tranny is pretty damn stong. Not many people on the stock turbo and not pushing more than 350whp can complain about it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

If I had to choose one car for the track?

A 350Z hands down. Turn off that traction control and have some fun too.

I live in Northern Illinois, So an STi hands down for everyday driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Black XT
    I live in Northern Illinois, So an STi hands down for everyday driving.
    I would have to agree. A friend of mine who has a Z (daily driver), always complains when its raining out about traction. He even gripes about when it's "too cold out for his car". And the snow...let's not even start about a Z in any kind of snow
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    I would have to agree. A friend of mine who has a Z (daily driver), always complains when its raining out about traction. He even gripes about when it's "too cold out for his car". And the snow...let's not even start about a Z in any kind of snow
    I live the Chicago burbs as well and I have a couple friends that drive their Z all year around but just put back on the stock wheels with some hardcore winter tires like Blizzak's and they seem to do ok. Certainly not as good as AWD would be, but they manage. In fact, the Z with traction control and snow tires does better than other friends E36 M3, 240SX, SRT4, etc..
    Just call me Clark Kent

I live the Chicago burbs as well and I have a couple friends that drive their Z all year around but just put back on the stock wheels with some hardcore winter tires like Blizzak's and they seem to do ok. Certainly not as good as AWD would be, but they manage. In fact, the Z with traction control and snow tires does better than other friends E36 M3, 240SX, SRT4, etc..
    Well, let's just say my friend with the Z isn't exactly as intelligent as yours. He thought he could get by with the stock tires and 200+ lbs of sand bags in the trunk. Even the slightest of dustings and his tires would spin so much that we would have to push him up his driveway. I would imagine that a Z would do fine with some good dedicated winter tires and a smart driver though.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    Well, let's just say my friend with the Z isn't exactly as intelligent as yours. He thought he could get by with the stock tires and 200+ lbs of sand bags in the trunk. Even the slightest of dustings and his tires would spin so much that we would have to push him up his driveway. I would imagine that a Z would do fine with some good dedicated winter tires and a smart driver though.
    I think the Z comes stock with sticky summer rubber. Using those in snow is just plain retarded.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Yea, my bro found out pretty quick that winter tires are a good thing.
    I drive that car in the rain with the traction control on and it seems to do ok. Just cant hit any puddles, EVER.

I've had a little experience with 350Zs on a road course (and 298hp G35s) and I think it boils down to this:

The RWD cars seem to be able to approach corners faster whereas the STi requires slightly slower turn in speeds (stock vs stock.) The advantage is that the STi can get on the power sooner (slightly before apex) without a problem; it literally slingshots out of the corners. Now, you would think that this should balance out (faster in vs faster out) but what you have to remember is that most people aren't comfortable diving into a corner at speed. The STi is MUCH more forgiving to drive and therefore, at equal skill levels, the STi driver can be faster (i.e. maximize the cars potential.)

For instance, I raced a 298hp 6spd G35 around a track (same skill group) and in the straights I could only pull him moderately. Approaching tight corners he would recover some of his ground but on exiting, I would literally fly away. These few tenths added up to where I would be at least 2 seconds ahead of him after each lap, on a short 1km track.

I would imagine that a well driven Z could probably keep up to a STi, for the most part. Honestly, all a STi really needs from the factory, for an amateur racer, is a performance alignment. It has made a very noticable difference in handling.

As for the Evo IX vs STi. I've seen enough track videos to know that it is a driver's race. The Evo IX is far from being drastically superior, stock for stock.

Anyhow, my 2 cents.
    2005 Aspen White STi

sti

car and driver, april 2006
    300-foot-diamater skidpad:
    350Z-.88g
    STI-.92g
    Between these two car in performance and handling theres no doubt. The STI dominates, you know what to do.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast