SVT Focus Vs 02 WRX (handling)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SVT Focus Vs 02 WRX (handling) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On a road course who would have better handling?????? My friend is looking at getting an SVT focus and he ...

SVT Focus Vs 02 WRX (handling)

On a road course who would have better handling?????? My friend is looking at getting an SVT focus and he is looking at paying around 15,000 for a used one. I told him he should try to get a WRX but he thinks the focus would out perform the WRX on a road course / auto X corss. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's very possible. SVT Focus is nice car i think. has some power and all. The WRX is heavy and has narrow stock tires. Neither are good for auto-x.

Tho I like the WRX better. and w/ some springs, rear sway, and new rims/tires im sure he could give most sub $30,000 cars a run.

Ive heard that the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and the Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed are both excellent auto-x cars.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

yeah theres a older sentra that tears up the Autox here. just basic mods too. SVT focus doesnt have enough mods availible to crush a wrx anywhere, atleast i never see parts for them. theres a lowered WRX here that crushes all the STi's and another wrx right behind him.

A stock Focus SVT vs stock wrx on a road course would be a pretty close race, but honestly.. I would give the edge to the focus. However, with a drop, sway bar and tires the wrx becomes a much better handler... Even just changing out the tires alone helps greatly.

Tell your friend to also consider a Nissan Sentra SE-R specV and Mazda Speed Protege as another member mentioned. The Nissan handles VERY well for a FWD vehicle and has LSD... Not to mention the stong torque/lowend power and it will def. outhandle a stock wrx. Also, the Mazda Speed Protege is another phenominal handling FWD car. It is turbo and can make some pretty decent power with just exhaust and increased boost.

Either of those cars would be a much better choice over the Focus SVT.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

would the power be a hindering factor on an auto X course or not so much. The 0-60 is 7.8
    Last edited by dehnem; 04-25-2006 at 10:08 AM.

the Focus has a 6-speed, so i assume the gearing is better designed for auto-x, and it's always been renowned as a nimble handler.

but chalk up another vote for the SE-R Spec V. Sport Compact Car slalomed it at 72mph!! that's EVO territory.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by dehnem
    would the power be a hindering factor on an auto X course or not so much. The 0-60 is 7.8
    you'll barely see 3rd gear and never see 4th or 5th on an autox.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    you'll barely see 3rd gear and never see 4th or 5th on an autox.
    yeah but you will see 2nd and that is how you get to 60. So my question was does the increased acceleration make these cars a drivers race?

yeah but you will see 2nd and that is how you get to 60.
    which car are we talking about here? 0-60 is the biggest BS of an acceleration run and should be outlawed from magazines. it's more a function of gearing than actual power. in the Focus (and much more powerful cars like the STi), you won't hit 60 'til 3rd, but that's a GOOD thing in autox IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    which car are we talking about here? 0-60 is the biggest BS of an acceleration run and should be outlawed from magazines. it's more a function of gearing than actual power. in the Focus (and much more powerful cars like the STi), you won't hit 60 'til 3rd, but that's a GOOD thing in autox IMHO
    um if it is really that powerful of a car it will hit 60 in 2nd and not need another gear to get there.

and i was just wondering if these two cars the WRX and the SVT focus would be close in an auto X course.

um if it is really that powerful of a car it will hit 60 in 2nd and not need another gear to get there.
    wrong. notice how the WRX is geared to hit 62mph at the top of second. is it a coincidence that in Europe, when they post acceleration runs, they do the 0-100kph test? (62mph). 0-60 is more a function of marketing and gearing than actual power. and yes, the STi hits 60mph in third, and needs five gears to get through the 1/4 mile while the WRX only needs four.

and i was just wondering if these two cars the WRX and the SVT focus would be close in an auto X course.
    in a hugely general sense, they would be close, but so many factors can sway it in either direction: mods, drivers, FWD vs. AWD, weight, tires, steering rack, etc. you have to give us more specifics.

power has nothing to do with how many gears it takes to get to a particular speed, power will make you get there faster but if the gear box is geared with shorter gears you will need more of them to get to the same speed becasue the cutoff point is still at the redline of the engine. More power will make the rpms build faster but you will hit the redline at the same point, although it will take less time to reach the redline.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Bone stock vs bone stock on a course that wouldnt get much over 50mph. The races ussually go for about 80-90 seconds depending on the car. The cars would be a 2002 WRX with 17" rims and short throw shifter vs. a Bone stock 2003 SVT Forcus with nothing else. We both drove my mustang around the track last year and I beat him by about 1.5 seconds on a 90 second course. When we both drove his ZX3 Focus I lost once by a second and won once by a second so I would say we are about the same level of skill for driving. So I know that the SVT handles a little better then the WRX from what I hear but would the increased power and the AWD help keep it a good race.

I would also like to note that my friend is the one who is wondering because right now when we raced at Auto X i beat him by 9.5 seconds with his ZX3 Focus and he likes the looks of the focus but wants to go a little faster wihtout losing his warranty (he is a warranty freak)

stock rubber sucks plain and simple so if you are talking about that kind of stock then its a drivers race all the way..... what I don't get is why so many car manufacturers use these stupid re92. I mean my moms honda civic has them and so does my friend's brand new IS300, while when I had them on my car they were just horrible. My friend was trying to match me on some twisties through the same corner I went in and out with out a sweat becasue I had upgraded rubber (I thought only WRX understeered so much), he understeered with a RWD car so go figure, he corrected and then oversteered so much I thought he was going to spin out, luckly he recovered. So get some nice wide sticky tires and your car will be a totaly new car with a much better chance at winning against him.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 05-03-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast