SVT Focus Vs 02 WRX (handling) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

This is a discussion on SVT Focus Vs 02 WRX (handling) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AngelBoy but chalk up another vote for the SE-R Spec V. Sport Compact Car slalomed it at ...

  1. #16
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy

    but chalk up another vote for the SE-R Spec V. Sport Compact Car slalomed it at 72mph!! that's EVO territory.
    I drove my friends 04' Sentra SE-R SpecV that had bolt on's and springs. I was VERY VERY suprised by this car. The LSD works wonderfully when trying to accelerate on corner exit. I was also quite suprised by the torque and pull this car had to offer. All around very impressive, just a pretty cheap feeling interior.

    I would seriously consider this car as a replacement for my wrx if I needed something cheaper.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User scoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Oh.
    Posts
    627
    Our gearing (WRX only) sucks for autocross period.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Our gearing (WRX only) sucks for autocross period.
    yup, and once again, you can blame the 0-60 test for that. the WRX just *had* to hit 60 in under 6 seconds , so they made 2nd stretch all the way up there.

    i'm going to start writing to car mag's in a petition to ban this ridiculous, unrealistic test. the 0-60 test was first started as an indicator of how well you can merge with traffic from a stop. these days, the rolling 5-60 test is a much better indicator of that. and when i'm pulling out on Route 130, i'm not revving the engine and dumping the clutch from a stop.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  5. #19
    Registered User scoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Oh.
    Posts
    627
    I agree with you. That second gear is just too long! With turbo lag issues, getting the rex around any tight track like an autocross one is more of a pain in the a$$ than fun. I don't have an aftermarket rear sway, but it should be better stock. I blame gearing more than anything else. Next would be understeer. I know it would shine on a road course though.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

  6. #20
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    I agree with you. That second gear is just too long! With turbo lag issues, getting the rex around any tight track like an autocross one is more of a pain in the a$$ than fun. I don't have an aftermarket rear sway, but it should be better stock. I blame gearing more than anything else. Next would be understeer. I know it would shine on a road course though.
    That's the one pro of my tiny ass turbo on my mazdaspeed protege. I've got some spool down low and it's not a real laggy car, in the tradional sense.

    If the SVT focus is anything like my MSP (which it probably is) a stock WRX is going to have it's hands full on a tight autocross course against an SVT focus. These cars (MSP, SVT Focus, SPEC V) were made with autocross type driving in mind.

    I just autocrossed last Sunday and pax'd out better than some very fast cars (granted drivers may have been sub par), finishing 2nd in class. A damned Miata just slipped ahead of me.

    That being said, there was a VERY fast modded WRX wagon running in one of the other classes. He took 4th, but that was quite an accomplishment given the cars (and drivers) he was up against.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    ironically, the weak link in WRX's are those huge wheel bearings. autox must wear them out pretty quick.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  8. #22
    Registered User scoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Oh.
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    That's the one pro of my tiny ass turbo on my mazdaspeed protege. I've got some spool down low and it's not a real laggy car, in the tradional sense.

    If the SVT focus is anything like my MSP (which it probably is) a stock WRX is going to have it's hands full on a tight autocross course against an SVT focus. These cars (MSP, SVT Focus, SPEC V) were made with autocross type driving in mind.

    I just autocrossed last Sunday and pax'd out better than some very fast cars (granted drivers may have been sub par), finishing 2nd in class. A damned Miata just slipped ahead of me.

    That being said, there was a VERY fast modded WRX wagon running in one of the other classes. He took 4th, but that was quite an accomplishment given the cars (and drivers) he was up against.
    Well with a swaybar in the rear the wrx is better, but it really needs a full suspension (ie coilovers and such) to be good at the shopping mall lot shuffle. For me that's a total waste of money for 4-5 minutes of driving.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

  9. #23
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Well with a swaybar in the rear the wrx is better, but it really needs a full suspension (ie coilovers and such) to be good at the shopping mall lot shuffle. For me that's a total waste of money for 4-5 minutes of driving.
    Understood! That's why I bought the Mazda over the WRX. I planned on doing lots of Autocrossing instead of track days. The MSP was just more suited, out of the box, for that type of driving. I'm running D Stock, btw, and wasn't planning on significant mods for a while.

    I used to drive a modded A4 and the track days were ruining my budget, especially with that damned car! German car parts are EXPENSIVE!!

    The guy autocrossing the WRX wagon was running crazy tire pressures in the rear, trying to rotate. He eventually spun, but with a LOT of coaxing.

  10. #24
    Registered User scoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Oh.
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Understood! That's why I bought the Mazda over the WRX. I planned on doing lots of Autocrossing instead of track days. The MSP was just more suited, out of the box, for that type of driving. I'm running D Stock, btw, and wasn't planning on significant mods for a while.

    I used to drive a modded A4 and the track days were ruining my budget, especially with that damned car! German car parts are EXPENSIVE!!

    The guy autocrossing the WRX wagon was running crazy tire pressures in the rear, trying to rotate. He eventually spun, but with a LOT of coaxing.
    Wow! I heard that varying your tire pressures like that will eat your diffs alive! Not worth it to me man. The mazda is a great autocrosser, and looks nice, I just needed more safety, and practicality since I'm a family man. I also had to have way mroe power than a MS could give me. My wifes car (99SI) can hang with a MS in a straight line. I can't have that man. I also like laying with my dad in his 02 vette.
    Handling is fun though and the MS has got that. The WRX would kill it on a mountain road though as long as the tires are upgraded from stock.
    I like the MS though and thought about getting my wife one too. She just hated the interior though....women...
    Oh hows that funky a$$ stereo! What a system!
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

  11. #25
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Wow! I heard that varying your tire pressures like that will eat your diffs alive! Not worth it to me man. The mazda is a great autocrosser, and looks nice, I just needed more safety, and practicality since I'm a family man. I also had to have way mroe power than a MS could give me. My wifes car (99SI) can hang with a MS in a straight line. I can't have that man. I also like laying with my dad in his 02 vette.
    Handling is fun though and the MS has got that. The WRX would kill it on a mountain road though as long as the tires are upgraded from stock.
    I like the MS though and thought about getting my wife one too. She just hated the interior though....women...
    Oh hows that funky a$$ stereo! What a system!
    Yeah, he was trying everything....wasn't aware the varying pressure was bad for the WRX's diffs. Maybe I'll tell him next time.

    I knew, getting into this car, that it was never going to be a powerhouse. Actually, I don't want more than about 200hp crank in a fwd car, which is easy to do with the MSP, so it works out. Waiting until the warranty is over and I'll make some changes.

    I was getting killed on my Audi, as it aged, and wanted a fun autocrosser that would be competitive in the stock classes. Fit the bill for me. My next car will have some grunt, but for now I'm happy with it, not to mention 34mpg on the highway driving sanely.

    Stereo is a great system, though I'm on my 2nd one. First got warrantied. Damn things sound great, but break a lot with all of the motorized parts!

    Sometimes I think about selling it and getting something faster and rwd, but it's always when I'm sitting on my ass. When I'm driving it, it's always ear to ear grins as I whip around a clover leaf.

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I knew, getting into this car, that it was never going to be a powerhouse. Actually, I don't want more than about 200hp crank in a fwd car, which is easy to do with the MSP, so it works out. Waiting until the warranty is over and I'll make some changes.

    Sometimes I think about selling it and getting something faster and rwd, but it's always when I'm sitting on my ass. When I'm driving it, it's always ear to ear grins as I whip around a clover leaf.
    wow, aside from the fact that i wanted to save some money, looks like i feel exactly the same about my car than you do about yours. it's too bad so many people are blinded by horsepower. i try and explain to non-enthusiasts that our cars have great gearboxes, excellent steering, handling on par with a WRX, very good brakes, and low cost on insurance + gas, but the conversation always seems to go back to the 1/4. i used to be one of those people blinded by horsepower, but i seriously think a mazda 3/ miata in the driveway is the perfect daily driver/ sports car combination for me these days
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  13. #27
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    wow, aside from the fact that i wanted to save some money, looks like i feel exactly the same about my car than you do about yours. it's too bad so many people are blinded by horsepower. i try and explain to non-enthusiasts that our cars have great gearboxes, excellent steering, handling on par with a WRX, very good brakes, and low cost on insurance + gas, but the conversation always seems to go back to the 1/4. i used to be one of those people blinded by horsepower, but i seriously think a mazda 3/ miata in the driveway is the perfect daily driver/ sports car combination for me these days
    Agreed. I'm always defending the RX8 against the 1/4 milers too. I guess I just like momentum cars. Cars that make time on the track by keeping speed in the corners.

    I also hear you on the Miata / 3 combo. 2 great cars.

  14. #28
    Registered User dehnem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Agreed. I'm always defending the RX8 against the 1/4 milers too. I guess I just like momentum cars. Cars that make time on the track by keeping speed in the corners.

    I also hear you on the Miata / 3 combo. 2 great cars.

    If you check out the video forum you can watch a video of a s2000, RX-8, Skyline, WRX, Integrea Type R, and a Miata go at it and the WRX beats the RX-8 by a decent amount
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

    02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by dehnem
    If you check out the video forum you can watch a video of a s2000, RX-8, Skyline, WRX, Integrea Type R, and a Miata go at it and the WRX beats the RX-8 by a decent amount
    we know that, that's not what we're saying. what we're saying is the RX-8 has the weight distribution a WRX would die for, much more steering feel/feedback, literally one of the sweetest 6-speeds on the planet, probably the smoothest powerplant in history, RWD, and in general a very fun car. but, as you just proved, horsepower always rules the day in the end. that's not always a good thing.

    just keep in mind this post has nothing to do with the RX-8, my point is that people are blinded by horsepower.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 05-04-2006 at 01:58 PM.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  16. #30
    Registered User scoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Oh.
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    we know that, that's not what we're saying. what we're saying is the RX-8 has the weight distribution a WRX would die for, much more steering feel/feedback, literally one of the sweetest 6-speeds on the planet, probably the smoothest powerplant in history, RWD, and in general a very fun car. but, as you just proved, horsepower always rules the day in the end. that's not always a good thing.

    just keep in mind this post has nothing to do with the RX-8, my point is that people are blinded by horsepower.
    I'm also blinded by class leading safety, and AWD
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •