wrx vs srt - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on wrx vs srt within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 srts and wrx are the camero and mustang rival. always will be. I always looked at ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    srts and wrx are the camero and mustang rival. always will be.
    I always looked at the Evo VS WRX like the old Camaro VS Mustang wars.

I think the SRT-fastAr is the redheaded stepchild that wants to fit in with the cool crowd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers
    I think a lot of this "dig is better than a roll" crap comes from the fact that we drive AWD cars. The only reason we can beat a lot of the cars that we can is because of the AWD launch advantage. All cars have their strong and weak points, and just because you can have a killer launch, it doesn't necessarily mean your car is faster.

Point in case: 300ZX TT vs STI. A well-running stock TTZ vs a stock STI. Both cars have about the same power figures, the STI is a bit lighter and has AWD to the TTZs RWD. By it's very nature, the TTZ is not a quarter mile car. Due to it's weight (heavy GT car with V6, US cars are T-top only) and drivetrain, an STI will demolish a TTZ from a dig. TTZs are lucky to run high 13s, whereas an STI can hit mid to low 13s all day. That being said, even from like a 20-30mph roll a TTZ will demolish an STI no question. It just has better high-end gearing, more whp, and doesn't automatically lose 1-2 car lengths due to competing against an AWD launch. Same principle against a new 350z or what have you.

I'm not at all saying that racing from a roll is better, far from it. But by nature of driving a AWD car, you have a great advantage from a dig to be faster than cars you wouldn't be able to beat if you had the same drivetrain. WRXs would be 15+ second cars racing Civics and crap without the advantage we have. STIs and Evos would probably be in the 14s with RWD.

Therefore I wouldn't knock people for wanting to run from a roll to even up the odds a little bit.
    90's Model TTZ's trap no better than an STI, weigh substantially more(100-200lbs) and the STI has better power/tq to weight ratio. The Z will NOT demolish an STI in anything except maybe a top speed run, even then the 300ZX will only catch up to an STI until after 140mph in a drag race. This is just one comparison, but even with AWD the STI does quite well against it's RWD competition--Considering roll racing is not it's strong point.

The STI gets knocked for not having more top end, but look how many other performance cars (RWD) trap around the same ballpark 102-103mph as a stock STI. The previous Generation LT1s were around 98-99mph and the LS1 Camaros and Firebirds are 104-105mph, new Mustang 100-102mph, 350Z 101mph, M3 104-105mph, Acura NSX 105mph, Boxster S 100mph, etc. The STI does just fine.

http://www.car-videos.net/performanc...D1=169&ID2=261
    Last edited by garrettjj; 06-08-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    95 Supra TT --BPU+ 420whp.
    05 Subaru STI --Cobb AP Stage 2 Protuned
    94 Integra GS-R --HIE/VTEC Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I always looked at the Evo VS WRX like the old Camaro VS Mustang wars.

I think the SRT-fastAr is the redheaded stepchild that wants to fit in with the cool crowd.
    +1
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahren
    +1

yeah ur right. both seem to hate our crowd more then each other tho? nice avatar too.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

confetti pwns.

F4 Picture thread has a few fun ones that i took this weekend. for you viewing pleasure.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    yeah ur right. both seem to hate our crowd more then each other tho? nice avatar too.
    I actually don't hate any of them. I like all three cars for what they can do.

i don't see what all the fuss is about.

if you wanna race from a dig, race from a dig.

if you wanna roll, then roll.

if you wanna race in reverse, race in reverse.

otherwise, don't.
    Trek mountain bike (with front AND rear suspension!)
    Zero skateboard

just to make sure we're all on the same page, the SRT-4 motor in the Neon is an extremely stout design: forged pistons and rods; a fully sleeved, *cast iron* block, a split crankcase, and a transmission that sees more truck duty than anything else. the Calibur SRT-4 will have the same engine block and same displacement, but will be made of aluminum, and will not have forged internals. what a shame. ironically, Dodge went the Subaru route on this one, and designed a "world" engine to be shared with mitsu/hyundai.

as far as Subaru using the WRX motor in the WRC, there is some truth to this. as required by WRC reg's, the 2.0L block in the bugeyes and blobeyes had to have an *identical geometric design* to the WRC engine. that means factors like displacement, bore spacing, and locations of intake and exhaust ports have to be exactly equal.

while that may give a warm, fuzzy feeling to the average WRX owner, keep in mind it's like having two houses that are mirror images of each other: one is made of brick, and the other straw. geometrically similar, but hardly the same.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    just to make sure we're all on the same page, the SRT-4 motor in the Neon is an extremely stout design: forged pistons and rods; a fully sleeved, *cast iron* block, a split crankcase, and a transmission that sees more truck duty than anything else. the Calibur SRT-4 will have the same engine block and same displacement, but will be made of aluminum, and will not have forged internals. what a shame. ironically, Dodge went the Subaru route on this one, and designed a "world" engine to be shared with mitsu/hyundai.

as far as Subaru using the WRX motor in the WRC, there is some truth to this. as required by WRC reg's, the 2.0L block in the bugeyes and blobeyes had to have an *identical geometric design* to the WRC engine. that means factors like displacement, bore spacing, and locations of intake and exhaust ports have to be exactly equal.

while that may give a warm, fuzzy feeling to the average WRX owner, keep in mind it's like having two houses that are mirror images of each other: one is made of brick, and the other straw. geometrically similar, but hardly the same.
    yep.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678