06 STI Cobb Stage II vs EVO with bolt-ons
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 STI Cobb Stage II vs EVO with bolt-ons within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First I have to say that it was not a fair race, because I was by myself and he had ...

06 STI Cobb Stage II vs EVO with bolt-ons

First I have to say that it was not a fair race, because I was by myself and he had 4 people in his car (2 of them women).

We both were at the light and he rolled down his window and asked if I wanted to race. Of course I said "sure!". I asked him what he had done he said he had bolt-ons, which for an EVO I think can put out about 350 AWHP. I told him what I had and he kind of rolled his eyes.

Well I held my car at 4k, as I was releasing the clutch I gave it full throttle and all I could smell was clutch... I felt my wheels spin and my clutch slipping (melting) but I immediately pulled 1/2 car on him and was pulling a bit. Just as I was shifting to 3rd a car pulled out in front of him and he let off. I was about 1/2 - 3/4 carlengths ahead at that time. I think if I didn't roast my clutch I would have done better. The dude seemed really cool and he had a sweet looking black EVO.

I know it wasn't fair but I thought I post for the hell of it. Might as well since my clutch probably looks like a Krispy Kreme donut... If he was by himself I'm not sure what the outcome would be.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you smell the clutch, does this mean that it is toast? Or just that is has been over-stressed and will be OK after some cool-down time?
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

^ they say everytime you get that smell that you shorten the life of your clutch, but for all you know you still have thousands upon thousands of miles.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

good, cuz i hate to admit it, but once when I was really pissed at this truckdriver for wasting a really long light, I took it to 5k and pretty much dropped
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1
    ^ they say everytime you get that smell that you shorten the life of your clutch, but for all you know you still have thousands upon thousands of miles.
    unless you glaze the hell out of it and heat it up really bad to the point it starts breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    If you smell the clutch, does this mean that it is toast? Or just that is has been over-stressed and will be OK after some cool-down time?
    I could smell it burning for a good 10 minutes, once I let my completely cool down it felt normal again. It's just a unsettling feeling when you smell clutch. I'm dieing to go to the drags but I'm kind of worried about it happening again.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Learn to launch correctly or your clutch is going to die pretty quickly.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
    Learn to launch correctly or your clutch is going to die pretty quickly.
    I hear you! Just practicing is the hard part, can I borrow your car?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007
    I hear you! Just practicing is the hard part, can I borrow your car?
    I have about 300 hard launches on mine - no clutch smell yet

-Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

I have about 300 hard launches on mine - no clutch smell yet

What's your technique? I saw the threads in the drag forum, I was trying to practice holding it at 4k and quickly slipping but i either bog or smell clutch. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Well, the trick is getting the tires to spin. The number of revs it takes to this varies on the type of surface and tires you are running.

Generally speaking, I find about 5k revs to be the sweet spot. Rev to 5k and then lift your clutch foot quickly. How quickly you ask - well, it was best described to me as about as quickly as you would lift your leg if you had just trodden in dog $hit
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Well, the trick is getting the tires to spin. The number of revs it takes to this varies on the type of surface and tires you are running.

Generally speaking, I find about 5k revs to be the sweet spot. Rev to 5k and then lift your clutch foot quickly. How quickly you ask - well, it was best described to me as about as quickly as you would lift your leg if you had just trodden in dog $hit
    Nice...Good description!

That's what I'm worried about, my tires are almost bald and I'm going to be picking up some new Michelin Pilot PS2's 245/40/17 and I doubt I will be able to spin those bad boys... Maybe if I put in like 50psi they will spin....
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Nice...Good description!

That's what I'm worried about, my tires are almost bald and I'm going to be picking up some new Michelin Pilot PS2's 245/40/17 and I doubt I will be able to spin those bad boys... Maybe if I put in like 50psi they will spin....
    Ha - those are no bad boys! I'm spinning much stickier rubber with this technique. My car is a Nationally competitive auto-x car with the stickiest street tire rubber money can buy.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Ha - those are no bad boys! I'm spinning much stickier rubber with this technique. My car is a Nationally competitive auto-x car with the stickiest street tire rubber money can buy.
    Cool! I've never used PS2's before, but I had regular pilots in the past on my old 04 WRX and I could never spin them. What tires are you using?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Cool! I've never used PS2's before, but I had regular pilots in the past on my old 04 WRX and I could never spin them. What tires are you using?
    Stickiest Street tire list (in no particular order)...

Hancook RS2 Z212
    Bridgestone RE070
    Falken Azeni 615
    Yokohama Neova AD07

I'm running the Yoko's.

If you don't believe me, go to an auto-x and look at what the top street tire guys are running.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.