me vs very quick Cobalt SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs very quick Cobalt SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Me and my friend are driving around in my wagon on Deer Park Ave here on Long Island when we ...

me vs very quick Cobalt SS

Me and my friend are driving around in my wagon on Deer Park Ave here on Long Island when we come across this red Cobalt SS supercharged. We went down to the long straight south of Sunrise Hwy and go at it. When we get to the southbound straight, he guns it and I followed. He was about 3 lengths ahead of me and I was pulling, but only by a little bit. This was up until the top of 4th, about 125mph. That Cobalt was really quick! We go through the turn around and on the Northbound side we slow down to 40, and he gives 3 honks and we're off. I started pulling slowly and he missed 4th. There wasnt enough room for another run though. I wanted to see what would happen top end.

The supercharger was LOUD! The SC whine sounded like a Cobra from one of those videos. It had to have had a pully and other mods. The exhaust looked stock though. I gave him a thumbs up before we parted.

Boost was set to only 18psi because I cant get my boost controller set correctly to 19. I had about 200lbs of crap in the wagon + a 130lb person in the passenger seat.... At least I didnt get killed my a Cobalt because I wouldnt be able to live with myself.

cliffnotes: Cobalt SS's are faster than I expected. I'm going to give those cars more respect from now on.
    Last edited by hellafastWRX; 04-17-2006 at 07:39 AM.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yup..you cant unerestimate those cobalts. my buddy's has a 2.7 pulley 440cc injectors MAF translator. my mods are in my sig. we go from about a 40 roll i get a little jump but after that it's a drivers race
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

That Cobalt must have had alot of work done to it. My stg2 WRX pulls on stock ones with ease. I can't imagin what a S16G WRX would do to a stock one.

I'm looking forward to the new Cobalt with a turbo soon. Should be a nice car.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Good run.

They def. can be quick with basic mods.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

light weight, cheap car, easy to mod...yeah
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

race one of those cobalt ss few weeks ago. Pulley, exhaust, injectors..... i have to admit they are faster than i expect!! nice cheap little car to mod!
    Lancer Evolution V///

439 WHP / 362 TQ TTR 50 Trim on pump @ 23psi.
    11.6 @ 120mph 1.6 60' (11/11/06)

well i got run down by a ion redline yesterday on th eway. i KNOW he was modded cuz that thing was hauling arse!! so no you cant underestimate an ss cobalt or its cousin the redline ion.

Yeah, their "Stages" were just released and alot of people are getting them. My brother saw one at the track this past Friday run a 14.07. Not sure of the speed though, but their deff quick cars. And the the loud SC whine... man I miss that. (Former Redline owner)
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

And the the loud SC whine... man I miss that. (Former Redline owner)[/QUOTE]
    so how did you like the car overall? i know its not a wrx but your ultimate impression isssss........

speed did their annual tuner test thingy. if i rememeber correctly, a modded cobalt had the best time, even against evos and elises. and they have 2 classes, fwd and awd/rwd. the cobalt had best time out of all. damn impressive. i dont like the rear tails on them, or fwd, but its like an srt4 that handles better with only 2 doors.

How fast are the "stage" cars trapping these days?
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Their stage 3 kit is around $525.

Peak horsepower was 270 WHP at 6,500 RPM. Peak torque was 237 WTQ in the 4,800 RPM range. Using the industry standard of 15% drivetrain loss for a FWD manual tranny, this works out to 317 horsepower and 279 foot-pounds of torque at the crankshaft. Very impressive for 2.0 liters of engine!

http://www.intense-racing.com/Mercha...ry_Code=LSJ_PP

i saw a modded black ss today. Didnt look to bad
    Cobb Stage 2

Look at how flat the power curve is... that's really impressive.

Those motors are potent, give it time we're going to see some very very quick ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast