Interesting encounter with a E39 M5...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Interesting encounter with a E39 M5... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was getting off the interstate today and there was a dark blue E39 BMW M5 (400hp, V8 version) just ...

Interesting encounter with a E39 M5...

I was getting off the interstate today and there was a dark blue E39 BMW M5 (400hp, V8 version) just ahead of me. He was driving pretty aggressively and I decided to see just how close I could stay with him in my stock '06 WRX TR...

At the end of the ramp he made a left onto a 55mph two-lane highway and I followed in hot pursuit. I stayed a conservative 20yds off of his back bumper and was able to maintain this distance as he accelerated, but I could tell he wasn't going completely all out as we were coming up onto a van travelling about 60mph pretty quickly. I stayed on his tail for about 2 miles until the van made a left turn into a gas station. As there was oncoming traffic, we came to a complete stop until the van was able to make the turn.

The dude in the M5 floored it and I could hear his traction control kick in and see black soot coming out of his tail pipes. I floored it as well and stayed right on his bumper through 1st and 2nd gears. When I shifted into third at ~65mph, he started to walk away from me slowly and we eventually shut down at 75-80mph.

I did a little research on the E39 M5 when I got home and saw that Car & Driver got a 13.4 @108, Road & Track saw 13.3 @108 while Edmunds got a 13.75 @105. Seems like the top end of these cars is simply amazing, but in the 1/4 they're about as fast (in terms of et) as a stock STI/Evo.

I felt pretty good about well my stock '06 WRX TR kept up especially since I took her to a 13.74 @98 last weekend at the dragstrip.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice death
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Nice race!

And also nice stock time for a new 06!
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo9339
    Nice death
    It's definitely a nice way to die! The sound of that BMW V8 was beautiful!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    Nice race!

And also nice stock time for a new 06!
    Thanks!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Yeah, I have an E39 M5 at my disposal and it it surely a top end car. It is in my opinion somewhat of a slouch through 70 or so, then at 80+ is when it becomes a new machine.

That is one of, if not "the" most timeless car ever built.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by converted
    Yeah, I have an E39 M5 at my disposal and it it surely a top end car. It is in my opinion somewhat of a slouch through 70 or so, then at 80+ is when it becomes a new machine.
    His traction control kicking in probably hurt him a bit at the start, but yes, he really started to walk away from me in the 70-75mph range. Beautiful car from all angles and the sound of that V8 is intoxicating!!!!!!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.