Interesting encounter with a E39 M5...

This is a discussion on Interesting encounter with a E39 M5... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was getting off the interstate today and there was a dark blue E39 BMW M5 (400hp, V8 version) just ...

Interesting encounter with a E39 M5...

I was getting off the interstate today and there was a dark blue E39 BMW M5 (400hp, V8 version) just ahead of me. He was driving pretty aggressively and I decided to see just how close I could stay with him in my stock '06 WRX TR...

At the end of the ramp he made a left onto a 55mph two-lane highway and I followed in hot pursuit. I stayed a conservative 20yds off of his back bumper and was able to maintain this distance as he accelerated, but I could tell he wasn't going completely all out as we were coming up onto a van travelling about 60mph pretty quickly. I stayed on his tail for about 2 miles until the van made a left turn into a gas station. As there was oncoming traffic, we came to a complete stop until the van was able to make the turn.

The dude in the M5 floored it and I could hear his traction control kick in and see black soot coming out of his tail pipes. I floored it as well and stayed right on his bumper through 1st and 2nd gears. When I shifted into third at ~65mph, he started to walk away from me slowly and we eventually shut down at 75-80mph.

I did a little research on the E39 M5 when I got home and saw that Car & Driver got a 13.4 @108, Road & Track saw 13.3 @108 while Edmunds got a 13.75 @105. Seems like the top end of these cars is simply amazing, but in the 1/4 they're about as fast (in terms of et) as a stock STI/Evo.

I felt pretty good about well my stock '06 WRX TR kept up especially since I took her to a 13.74 @98 last weekend at the dragstrip.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice death
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Nice race!

And also nice stock time for a new 06!
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo9339
    Nice death
    It's definitely a nice way to die! The sound of that BMW V8 was beautiful!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    Nice race!

And also nice stock time for a new 06!
    Thanks!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Yeah, I have an E39 M5 at my disposal and it it surely a top end car. It is in my opinion somewhat of a slouch through 70 or so, then at 80+ is when it becomes a new machine.

That is one of, if not "the" most timeless car ever built.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by converted
    Yeah, I have an E39 M5 at my disposal and it it surely a top end car. It is in my opinion somewhat of a slouch through 70 or so, then at 80+ is when it becomes a new machine.
    His traction control kicking in probably hurt him a bit at the start, but yes, he really started to walk away from me in the 70-75mph range. Beautiful car from all angles and the sound of that V8 is intoxicating!!!!!!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock