stg 2 vs. maxima 3.5 SL

This is a discussion on stg 2 vs. maxima 3.5 SL within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just had a little fun with maxima 3.5 SL. Both stopped at light and I only put about 1-1.5 car ...

stg 2 vs. maxima 3.5 SL

Just had a little fun with maxima 3.5 SL. Both stopped at light and I only put about 1-1.5 car on her w/o launch. I was bit surprised by the outcome. What do they run in 1/4 mile?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rexmaster
    Just had a little fun with maxima 3.5 SL. Both stopped at light and I only put about 1-1.5 car on her w/o launch. I was bit surprised by the outcome. What do they run in 1/4 mile?

Those cars are fast? I would of never expected that

werd up man you did a good thing beating him they are in the low 14's maybe high 13's i believe stock...
    05' Crystal Grey Metallic WRX sedan

It is fast enough, I had one, well it was my wife's lease car. It have high-end power not a launcher. I do enjoy driving it once in a wile on highway. It have 265 hp stock.

was it 6 speed or slushbox? The manuals bone stock run mid14s, but with a y-pipe and intake they run high 13s>byproduct of a 3600+lb car. The autos are like high 14s out of the box, and low 14s when you throw money at them. Very nice, just limited in mod options. See http://fourms.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=289125 for more info
    Last edited by silvewrx; 04-14-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

It seems like 3.5 SL only comes in 5speed automatic and 6 speed manual is option for SE (both have 265 hp/255 tq). I'm sure I raced automatic since it was 3.5 SL.

If it was an SL then it had to of been automatic. The 6spd option is only for a limited selection of SE's. The automatic is good for higher 14's and will usually trap around 94/95mph. Since you didn't launch the outcome sounds about right.... They have a strong powerband. But had you launched you probably would have put a good 4+ cars on it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by kylenls
    werd up man you did a good thing beating him they are in the low 14's maybe high 13's i believe stock...
    I think the 5-speeds can get into the mid 14's but the autos won't see those times. High 14's to low 15's. Niether is in 13's. That is 350Z territory (low 14's and some high 13's).

They make them seem faster in the commercials but in reality the FWD and weight hold them back.
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

when i had my wrx with just a mbc and samco hoses.i pulled an auto off a roll from 5mph, he had car head start and i was ahead by 80. nice cars for being a boat.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    I think the 5-speeds can get into the mid 14's but the autos won't see those times. High 14's to low 15's. Niether is in 13's. That is 350Z territory (low 14's and some high 13's).

They make them seem faster in the commercials but in reality the FWD and weight hold them back.
    It is a 6spd.

The problem with the SL edition of the Maxima's is that it is part of the 2004+ make of maxima's which weigh's considerably more than the previous gen's. The 2002/2003 Maxima's had a 255hp VQ35 engine (same engine used in 6th gen - 2004 to current) but only weighed about 3300lbs and made a good 215whp stock.
    There have been a few people to run down into low low 14sec territory stock with HLSD, a couple 14.1's a 14.0 and many 14.3/14.4's. However the added weight of the next gen (SL gen) leaves the 6spd lagging with times more in accordance to 14.6/14.7 with a few people getting a couple tenths lower.

You are correct about the auto's though. The 6th gen auto's are only good for low 15's and high 14's. The 5th gen however has auto's consistantly going 14.8's.

If you ask me though, the last "real" maxima went out in 1999. The 4th gen's 95-99 were relatively light weight (3050-3100 fully loaded, and many base model GXE's in the sub-3,000lbs area). They were less powerful, but could run low low 14's with just bolt on's and handle 350whp + on stock internals and tranny. Too bad Nissan hasn't gotten the suspension right since 94'
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    It is a 6spd.

The problem with the SL edition of the Maxima's is that it is part of the 2004+ make of maxima's which weigh's considerably more than the previous gen's. The 2002/2003 Maxima's had a 255hp VQ35 engine (same engine used in 6th gen - 2004 to current) but only weighed about 3300lbs and made a good 215whp stock.
    There have been a few people to run down into low low 14sec territory stock with HLSD, a couple 14.1's a 14.0 and many 14.3/14.4's. However the added weight of the next gen (SL gen) leaves the 6spd lagging with times more in accordance to 14.6/14.7 with a few people getting a couple tenths lower.

You are correct about the auto's though. The 6th gen auto's are only good for low 15's and high 14's. The 5th gen however has auto's consistantly going 14.8's.

If you ask me though, the last "real" maxima went out in 1999. The 4th gen's 95-99 were relatively light weight (3050-3100 fully loaded, and many base model GXE's in the sub-3,000lbs area). They were less powerful, but could run low low 14's with just bolt on's and handle 350whp + on stock internals and tranny. Too bad Nissan hasn't gotten the suspension right since 94'
    My bad, I meant 6 speed. My favorite years for the Max were the early 90's ones. The ones with the "4DSC" badge on the window. I was looking for one with a manual as my winter beater but couldn't find one that l liked. I don't know why, I just thought they were cool for some reason. Maybe it was because while it's competition, the Camry and the Accord, were going for the dull family sedan angle, Nissan was trying to be different and sporty with their sedan.
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    My bad, I meant 6 speed. My favorite years for the Max were the early 90's ones. The ones with the "4DSC" badge on the window. I was looking for one with a manual as my winter beater but couldn't find one that l liked. I don't know why, I just thought they were cool for some reason. Maybe it was because while it's competition, the Camry and the Accord, were going for the dull family sedan angle, Nissan was trying to be different and sporty with their sedan.
    The early 90's were the VG and VE motors. If you ever find yourself trying to pick one up, try and go for the 94's because they had the VE motor which was quite strong and with a manual tranny can pull off high 14's stock and mid 14's with simple bolt on's. These years (3rd gen) also handled rather well, atleast a lot better than any maxima after it.

I just like the 4th gens because they look good, just need a little suspension work to handle very well, and mods are def. there for it. Intak, y-pipe, catack, MEVI (variable intake), and ECU will get you very low 14's (some guys 13's that drive well) and traps @ 100mph. Pretty impressive IMO for a 10 year old V6 family sedan. And then of course you have the guys that are boosted running 12's and a couple in 11's on the stock motor.
    If I end up having to sell the rex when I transfer colleges I will likely pick up one of these.
    Just call me Clark Kent

VE dohc motor is available 93-94, then they went to the VQ in 95. 95s are nice, they are the lightest-aluminum front bumper, which was discontinued cuz it didn't pass crash standards, plus if you get a 95-96 i30, which is a max in disguise, the i30t could come with a 5 speed, and all i30 5 speeds are limited slip from the factory-big bonus in fwd. My personal favourite is 2000, but i'm biased i had one. The chassis is stiffer(albeit like 90lbs heavier), the wheelbase is 2 inches longer(better high speed stability), and they added a 'panhard' rod style to the rear truck-arm suspension. The engine is a VQ30DE-k(for Kaisen), and the major differences is the front cat/manifold(same as 99), they are 99% cali cars(4 o2 sensors), they have molybdenum coated rotating assemblies, more aggressive cams, and of course the golden child-the variable intake(basically a cpu controlled plastic version of the older MEVI-middle eastern variable intake).
    Basically, if you're gunna get one, get a 95-96 i30 5 speed, and for like 400 buck you can find a decent 2000-2001 motor with decent miles on it. the mevi swap is obsolete, in fact courtesy nissan, who used to sell it, discontinued it. oh and they last forever
    edit: bolt on style the 3.0s respond well, but tops is like 300hp or so, turbo i've seen stock block cars w/450+whp, and a few runs 10s..... here's a link w/dynos to a bunch of street driven turbo maxes
    http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=360493
    Last edited by silvewrx; 04-17-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    New England F4

I totalled my WRX

Quote Originally Posted by silvewrx
    VE dohc motor is available 93-94, then they went to the VQ in 95. 95s are nice, they are the lightest-aluminum front bumper, which was discontinued cuz it didn't pass crash standards, plus if you get a 95-96 i30, which is a max in disguise, the i30t could come with a 5 speed, and all i30 5 speeds are limited slip from the factory-big bonus in fwd. My personal favourite is 2000, but i'm biased i had one. The chassis is stiffer(albeit like 90lbs heavier), the wheelbase is 2 inches longer(better high speed stability), and they added a 'panhard' rod style to the rear truck-arm suspension. The engine is a VQ30DE-k(for Kaisen), and the major differences is the front cat/manifold(same as 99), they are 99% cali cars(4 o2 sensors), they have molybdenum coated rotating assemblies, more aggressive cams, and of course the golden child-the variable intake(basically a cpu controlled plastic version of the older MEVI-middle eastern variable intake).
    Basically, if you're gunna get one, get a 95-96 i30 5 speed, and for like 400 buck you can find a decent 2000-2001 motor with decent miles on it. the mevi swap is obsolete, in fact courtesy nissan, who used to sell it, discontinued it. oh and they last forever
    edit: bolt on style the 3.0s respond well, but tops is like 300hp or so, turbo i've seen stock block cars w/450+whp, and a few runs 10s..... here's a link w/dynos to a bunch of street driven turbo maxes
    http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=360493

All good info, but finding a 5spd LSD i30 with decent mileage is not easy... trust me, I have tried many times
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    All good info, but finding a 5spd LSD i30 with decent mileage is not easy... trust me, I have tried many times
    Totally, there's one in my town, the guy bought it new, is like 60 something years old, and i've been botherin him to sell it for like 3 years. My other suggestion is just to get a 95 max, and swap the de-k into it. Because of exactly what you said-rarity, i'm now looking for a 2001 ae(also has helical lsd), and i don't particularly mind the miles, as i'd build the motor anyway, but it's tough to find a clean car as they get older, but once again ae prices are rediculous-nearly 02-03 prices(even though the 3.5 is a slug).
    New England F4

I totalled my WRX