old-school mustang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on old-school mustang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am planning on racing a friend of mine this weekend, probably for some money. He has a 1968 ford ...

old-school mustang

I am planning on racing a friend of mine this weekend, probably for some money. He has a 1968 ford mustang with a ford-racing 302 cu in v-8. for some reason I am a little unsure of what the outcome will be . Because the race will be from a dig, I know I will have 1-2 cars at the start, but his massive torque is kind of scary and I worry that once he has traction, he will catch up. The race will probably be ~3/16s of a mile. btw-i have a stock 06 wrx. What do you think?
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With your car stock it will be close but my money is on you for sure. Is his 302 modded or stock anywho stangs manly just SOUND fast. If you get a tbe and an accesport then this question wouldnt exist. please post the outcome cuz my interest, well it be immense.. Peas

I am not sure at what level of modification his car is at. But I do know that is not the original 302 offered in 68. The car was originally a v6 but had a v8 dropped in. He bought it used from a guy in Nashville. If I get a good lauch, keeping it up in boost, I should be able to take him because I know that he has real problems with the rear tires. And yes, I would like to be at Cobb stg 2, but voiding the warranty is not tops on my list as the car is three weeks fresh.
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rogers
    anywho stangs manly just SOUND fast
    That's for sure, especially the ones that have weird whistling/chirping sounds coming from under the hood.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Has he told you what he has done to it? I've got a friend with a falcon with a 302 and that thing does freakin wheel stands I wouldnt race him for that much money if i were you
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG
    That's for sure, especially the ones that have weird whistling/chirping sounds coming from under the hood.
    yeah mine dissapoints me, it is so slow, but at least it sounds good!
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

uke
    I think he should have said "some" Mustangs only sound fast

I know that I've come across some VERY nice sounding 5.0's...that were dirt slow. Then again, many of the same sounding ones are sickly fast as well. You never really know if the average Mustang IS fast, or just SOUNDS fast, sometimes. It's like a grab bag, you just don't know what you're gonna get.
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    Has he told you what he has done to it? I've got a friend with a falcon with a 302 and that thing does freakin wheel stands I wouldnt race him for that much money if i were you
    Well, one thing is for sure: It's not that kind of a beast. I have ridden in it, and although is sounds rlly fast, and certainly is faster than most cars on the road, so is the wrx. But i am sure that his torque will really help him catch up... Hopefully I can post some results later today because i have a break from school, so we should be able to race.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    Well, one thing is for sure: It's not that kind of a beast. I have ridden in it, and although is sounds rlly fast, and certainly is faster than most cars on the road, so is the wrx. But i am sure that his torque will really help him catch up... Hopefully I can post some results later today because i have a break from school, so we should be able to race.

Good Luck I see a close racing coming. Good launch im saying its yours. Well...we dont know his mods so ... good luck be careful bro

Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    I am planning on racing a friend of mine this weekend, probably for some money. He has a 1968 ford mustang with a ford-racing 302 cu in v-8. for some reason I am a little unsure of what the outcome will be . Because the race will be from a dig, I know I will have 1-2 cars at the start, but his massive torque is kind of scary and I worry that once he has traction, he will catch up. The race will probably be ~3/16s of a mile. btw-i have a stock 06 wrx. What do you think?
    It really is impossible to say with the info given. It is probably a 300 hp/300 tq engine, but who knows. Just race and have fun. Is the stang a Fast back? I love those.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Ya. thats kinda the power i was figuring on. Actually, I dont think he even knows the full extent of the mods on the engine swap. btw-not a fast back its just a hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    It really is impossible to say with the info given. It is probably a 300 hp/300 tq engine, but who knows. Just race and have fun. Is the stang a Fast back? I love those.
    Yeah, it is really hard to determine without knowing all the facts. That 302 could have anything.
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Don't race for money because you are going to lose. If you're stock you have about 220 CHP at your disposal. A stock 68 289 would be close to 300 HP. A Ford Racing 302 is going to be around 320-350 CHP. Plus, the 'Stang's probably a bit lighter.

WRXes are great cars, but they don't rule all. You'll be over your head on this one.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

Banned
    When my 06 was stock I ran a new 05 GT in the 1/4 mile and won and ownd him up in the 1/8th of a mile. And there 300/300 and he had full exhaust system so go take him....figure there heavier than the new GTs im sure you will take him if he has minor mods.

There is no way the mustang is lighter. I searched for the weight on the internet, and came up with a 3200 to 3900 lb range. The smaller v6s would be the 3200, with the largest v8s at 3900. I guesstimate that he weighs about 3600 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast