Follow the leader with a '00ish vette???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Follow the leader with a '00ish vette??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was trying to merge onto the highway and pushin the car pretty hard to get up to speed when ...

Follow the leader with a '00ish vette???

I was trying to merge onto the highway and pushin the car pretty hard to get up to speed when a vette flies up tight behind me. I slowed down to about 60 and moved over for him to pass but he does the same, and stays behind me. I was getting rather upset because he was a little too close for my comfort. When traffic opened up, I decided to try to get a little distance. I punched it up to about 95 and the corvette was maybe 2 cars back, but again when I slowed down, he was on my bumper. He then moved over and took off, I figured why not and went after him, again from 60 to maybe 100, He didnt go anywhere till I shifted to 4th, and then he pulled.

My question is, how is this possible? Are there any types of corvettes that a cobb stg1 wagon could keep up with in 3rd gear? Maybe it was automatic? Out of power range? Bad driver? As I was following, I noticed he had temp plates, but that doesn't always mean the car wasnt broken in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by keep251
    I was trying to merge onto the highway and pushin the car pretty hard to get up to speed when a vette flies up tight behind me. I slowed down to about 60 and moved over for him to pass but he does the same, and stays behind me. I was getting rather upset because he was a little too close for my comfort. When traffic opened up, I decided to try to get a little distance. I punched it up to about 95 and the corvette was maybe 2 cars back, but again when I slowed down, he was on my bumper. He then moved over and took off, I figured why not and went after him, again from 60 to maybe 100, He didnt go anywhere till I shifted to 4th, and then he pulled.

My question is, how is this possible? Are there any types of corvettes that a cobb stg1 wagon could keep up with in 3rd gear? Maybe it was automatic? Out of power range? Bad driver? As I was following, I noticed he had temp plates, but that doesn't always mean the car wasnt broken in.
    he probably was admiring your car.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

he should have wasted you from a third gear roll,,
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

you sure he was racing?
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Peachypumpkincheeks

^^^^^ Yeah, what they all said.

Maybe he was just busy talking on his blue tooth and trying not to spill his Starbucks half-calf latte, so he just happened to pick a target (i.e. you) to follow.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Maybe he was just busy talking on his blue tooth and trying not to spill his Starbucks half-calf latte...

Doesnt your boyfriend drive a Corvette?
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I agree, I should have been destroyed, but that wasnt the case, which is why I'm confused. There was a puff from his exhaust when he took off, so I assumed he was racing, but maybe he wasn't full throttle?

I like the conclusion that he was just admiring my car the best

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Kush

Exactly, I was speaking from experience.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

hehe fair enough
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

You should have slammed on your breaks and collected.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

Yea something isnt right, just last weekend me and my dad decided to race, he has a 2002 corvette converitble and its an auto , i just have upipe downpipe and intercooler hoses...so we go from a dig, and keep in mind we raced to about 60-65. Well it was VERY close, I had him by a car till about 45 then he started gaining. by the time we hit 65 we were even and if the road was longer anything after that he woulda pulled A LOT. He loves my car and was impressed but yea...The Suby has a good pull to about 60. but man when you drive the vette it just doesnt stop pulling they are incredible cars. i swear when you floor it going 80 it still throws you in your seat. plus i love the c5's styling and endless beauty. although the new Zo6 is extremely hott too

V8 + RWD = high speeds
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keep251
    I agree, I should have been destroyed, but that wasnt the case, which is why I'm confused. There was a puff from his exhaust when he took off, so I assumed he was racing, but maybe he wasn't full throttle?
    No, you shouldn't "have been destroyed". Those things are overrated worse than Keanu Reeve's acting ability. Just search, you'll find *tons* of stories of people keeping up or walking them. There not all that. U can put a big engine in a piece of crap, and it's still a piece of crap.

Just enjoy your run and don't try to talk yourself down. Everyone who beats Vettes or Stangs or Vipers always seems to apollogize and it pisses me off. Its like, "Oh, dear, I hung with this car and I didn't think I was gonna, hust must not have been tryin'" I've seen that "not racing" excuse more than I can count. It's BS. You are about the 100th person who seems surprised at this outcome - don't be.

You kept up 60-100 in a car that costs a fraction of his. You'd probably *beat* him 0-30 since you can put power down and his power just turns his tires to smoke - it's the difference between actually engineering the car, and just tossing in a big motor to brag about. Don't be ashamed you hung with him, dude. He should be embarrassed his high dollar "plastic pig" struggled with your *station wagon*.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude
    No, you shouldn't "have been destroyed". Those things are overrated worse than Keanu Reeve's acting ability. Just search, you'll find *tons* of stories of people keeping up or walking them. There not all that. U can put a big engine in a piece of crap, and it's still a piece of crap.

Just enjoy your run and don't try to talk yourself down. Everyone who beats Vettes or Stangs or Vipers always seems to apollogize and it pisses me off. Its like, "Oh, dear, I hung with this car and I didn't think I was gonna, hust must not have been tryin'" I've seen that "not racing" excuse more than I can count. It's BS. You are about the 100th person who seems surprised at this outcome - don't be.

You kept up 60-100 in a car that costs a fraction of his. You'd probably *beat* him 0-30 since you can put power down and his power just turns his tires to smoke - it's the difference between actually engineering the car, and just tossing in a big motor to brag about. Don't be ashamed you hung with him, dude. He should be embarrassed his high dollar "plastic pig" struggled with your *station wagon*.
    Yeah... the only thing is... you are wrong.... I cut 1.8 60' times all day long... when I just had a cold air intake I was running 12.9's with a sliptting clutch.... and that was at 110. The wrx has absolutely nothing up top compared to the ls1 sorry dude.... I'd sell my car if I couldn't pull more than 3 cars on a stock wrx 60-100
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.