Follow the leader with a '00ish vette??? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Follow the leader with a '00ish vette??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Herknav What do you mean my 99 Cobra didn't have IRS? Gosh, coulda fooled me... Never heard ...

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    What do you mean my 99 Cobra didn't have IRS? Gosh, coulda fooled me...

Never heard of a 03-04 Cobra called a "Dyno Queen"... in fact, I never even heard the term before... I have heard the term "Terminator"... I am sure that name was earned on the Dyno...

Don't you love it when people know more about your car than you? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MagikMan
    I'm judging by about 8 or 9 other cars I now with my exact same set up that ran anywhere from 10.90's through 11.40's.... obviously depending on conditions. I can link you to some timeslips if you don't believe me.

And about the dyno queen comment... the only place where people don't call them dyno queens is the SVT threads.... no biggie... don't take a it personal... I'd rather my car dyno in the 500's and run the same times as it does now.

Back to the thread... I think it's pretty obvious that the vette wasn't hauling ass.
    the only slips that matter are your own, enough of this rediculous thread though. The Vette would not have a problem with the WRX if he was going balls out. The vette is lighter, has more power, handles better, and is geared better than a WRX. A stage 1 really does not have a prayer.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    The Vette would not have a problem with the WRX if he was going balls out. The vette is lighter, has more power, handles better, and is geared better than a WRX. A stage 1 really does not have a prayer.
    Most stage 4's don't have a prayer.

Also, where is the STi so technilogically advanced? A turbo 4 is no technical miracle, and I would rather have a hand-built V8 with FI then the semi-closed deck turbo 4, and I did make that decision a little over a year ago after having my STi for a 14 months. .
    Um, the driver controlled center differential to start. You can't sit there and tell me there's no technological advancement in going from fully open, to fully locked to splitting torque from 50/50 to 35/65. The process by which the computer calculates how much torque goes to what wheel should answer your question by itself.
    Drive by wire throttle. Whether or not it performs better than a direct mechanical linkage is still up for debate but that is also a tech advancment.
    While I'm not a Ford person and have never really liked Mustangs, I would buy an '03 Cobra. They are quite badass vehicles.
    Same for the Corvette (from 84-96, exc Calloway and ZR1, Vettes were straight up POSes). What was Chevy thinking during those years? Then they actually did their homework with the C5 and the C6 is a masterpiece. I would give my left nut for a C6 ZO6.
    One thing about Vettes though, especially down here, is they have the slight White Trashy stigma to them (much like Mustang and Camaro drivers). I see Vettes being driven down here by older, rednecky 'Tennessee' millionaires driving them.
    I love my STi and wouldn't trade it for anything, but it's not the 'be all-end all' of performance cars, nor did I buy it for a Vette/Cobra/Evo killer (I'll build my 240z for that..hehe). Mmmm...400hp/tq in a 2500lb car. Woohoo!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

FYI many Fords have throttle by wire now...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Don't you love it when people know more about your car than you? lol

the only slips that matter are your own, enough of this rediculous thread though. The Vette would not have a problem with the WRX if he was going balls out. The vette is lighter, has more power, handles better, and is geared better than a WRX. A stage 1 really does not have a prayer.
    Well I pulled a 7.80 @95 in the 1/8 with a 2.0 60' when I normally can put down 1.8's
    Last edited by MagikMan; 05-16-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

I have an 03 cobra and mine IS straight axle. I dont know if the guy i bought it from converted it or what but it has one. I havent seen any other cobras with IRS but ive only worked on two others then mine but they wewre made for straight line performance like mine.
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    Um, the driver controlled center differential to start. You can't sit there and tell me there's no technological advancement in going from fully open, to fully locked to splitting torque from 50/50 to 35/65. The process by which the computer calculates how much torque goes to what wheel should answer your question by itself.
    Drive by wire throttle. Whether or not it performs better than a direct mechanical linkage is still up for debate but that is also a tech advancment.
    To me that always seemed like more of a marketing thing than anything, it was very hard to notice a difference between any of the settings, so it is not really a big deal. As for the DBW, that is nice but it does not make the car a modern marvel by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Newks
    I have an 03 cobra and mine IS straight axle. I dont know if the guy i bought it from converted it or what but it has one. I havent seen any other cobras with IRS but ive only worked on two others then mine but they wewre made for straight line performance like mine.
    If your car truly has a solid axel, it was swapped in there and not original equipment. All Cobras, from 1999-2004 came stock with the IRS. Alot of peop[le have changed them out for drag racing purposes though. The IRS can wheelhop pretty bad on a launch and break parts, so a lot of guys just swapped for the solid rear which is a much better platform for drag racing. The IRS in the Cobra was originally put in with the idea that people would want a car that can handle pretty well as well as have a nice amount of power.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

To me that always seemed like more of a marketing thing than anything, it was very hard to notice a difference between any of the settings, so it is not really a big deal. As for the DBW, that is nice but it does not make the car a modern marvel by any stretch of the imagination.
    I also haven't noticed any difference in the settings. Even a couple of articles I read on the STi said they can't really tell a difference either and they got the best lap times with the DCCD in auto. I haven't put it in lock yet though.
    It may be a marketing ploy but I'm sure it has the technology to back it up as well. I will say the GT-R's ALTESSA system is a technical marvel as well.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I also haven't noticed any difference in the settings. Even a couple of articles I read on the STi said they can't really tell a difference either and they got the best lap times with the DCCD in auto. I haven't put it in lock yet though.
    It may be a marketing ploy but I'm sure it has the technology to back it up as well. I will say the GT-R's ALTESSA system is a technical marvel as well.
    Well the GT-R altessa system has nothing to do with the cars in the convo, but at least you can see why I think the DCCD is not really that big of a deal with the STi.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

I think we should just line everyone up and see who can pee the furthest to settle this.
    "I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -George Best

Here's a lightly modded EVO beating a C6 Z06 in the 1/4:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Comment...E4BBEB3DDE.htm

And of course, car and mods together, that Evo has much less money into his vehicle than the Vette guy does. And when the Evo is done beating the Vette in the 1/4, he can take it off road for some rally action - let's see the Vette follow him into the mud and bumps!

And:

Willow Springs Lap Times
    Mitsubishi Evo _ 1:29.55
    Corvette C6 Z06 _ 1:31.8

Sears Point lap times:
    SCCA ITE Evo _ 1:45.277
    OTC U1 Viper _ 1:45.800
    OTC T1 Corvette _ 1:55.574

Michigan International Speedway lap times (all steet legal modded cars - but the Evo + mods is half the price of the Vette + mods):
    HKS Evo8 RS 48.3 s
    Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Corvette 49.0 s

Laguna Seca Lap Times
    USTCC Evo _ 1:43.449
    Corvette C6 Z06 _ 1:47.3

Here is a guy in an Evo recounting riding a Vette's bumper for 3 laps unti the Vette *finally* waves him by (probably hurt his ego to get passed on a track by a much cheaper "rice burner"):

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=15988.0

Evo rocks. It's gonna be my next car for sure. People get into the 10's on stock turbos. Dollar for dollar, you just can't beat it (although the STI is tempting too). BR350 Evo is $35K, 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.

And just for grins, here's a video of an Audi S4 handing a Z06 Vette its ass:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...44993399&q=z06

Funny thing is, just like here, everyone in the audience is all ooohing and aaahing over the Vette, which then proceeds to be beat down by the Audi.

Top gear has a video where a stock Evo 9 beats a lambo (Gallardo)!

Look at this, and weep for every other under about 3X the price:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...kyo+Auto+Salon

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdude
    Here's a lightly modded EVO beating a C6 Z06 in the 1/4:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Comment...E4BBEB3DDE.htm

And of course, car and mods together, that Evo has much less money into his vehicle than the Vette guy does. And when the Evo is done beating the Vette in the 1/4, he can take it off road for some rally action - let's see the Vette follow him into the mud and bumps!

And:

Willow Springs Lap Times
    Mitsubishi Evo _ 1:29.55
    Corvette C6 Z06 _ 1:31.8

Sears Point lap times:
    SCCA ITE Evo _ 1:45.277
    OTC U1 Viper _ 1:45.800
    OTC T1 Corvette _ 1:55.574

Michigan International Speedway lap times (all steet legal modded cars - but the Evo + mods is half the price of the Vette + mods):
    HKS Evo8 RS 48.3 s
    Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Corvette 49.0 s

Laguna Seca Lap Times
    USTCC Evo _ 1:43.449
    Corvette C6 Z06 _ 1:47.3

Here is a guy in an Evo recounting riding a Vette's bumper for 3 laps unti the Vette *finally* waves him by (probably hurt his ego to get passed on a track by a much cheaper "rice burner"):

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=15988.0

Evo rocks. It's gonna be my next car for sure. People get into the 10's on stock turbos. Dollar for dollar, you just can't beat it (although the STI is tempting too). BR350 Evo is $35K, 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.

And just for grins, here's a video of an Audi S4 handing a Z06 Vette its ass:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...44993399&q=z06

Funny thing is, just like here, everyone in the audience is all ooohing and aaahing over the Vette, which then proceeds to be beat down by the Audi.

Top gear has a video where a stock Evo 9 beats a lambo (Gallardo)!

Look at this, and weep for every other under about 3X the price:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...kyo+Auto+Salon
    BikerDude: It sounds to me like you are just a foreign car fanoby.

2 questions:
    1. How do you know that all these links have EVO's that are so much cheaper than the vettes they are racing? Did you call up the owners and get an estimate of their expenses? Last I checked you could make a john deere riding lawnmower to run 10s if you strapped an F-16 engine to the back, but that doesn't make it less expensive.

2. I thought you were talking about STis? Why did you now switch to the EVO? Face it man, you're wrong. And just for the record, the original poster said he was on the highway with a vette, not autoxing a cobra.

It sounds to me like you just want to bash American cars. With a name like bikerdude, I would think that you would love good old fashioned American muscle.
    Car-less

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66

2 questions:
    1. How do you know that all these links have EVO's that are so much cheaper than the vettes they are racing? Did you call up the owners and get an estimate of their expenses? Last I checked you could make a john deere riding lawnmower to run 10s if you strapped an F-16 engine to the back, but that doesn't make it less expensive.

2. I thought you were talking about STis? Why did you now switch to the EVO? Face it man, you're wrong. And just for the record, the original poster said he was on the highway with a vette, not autoxing a cobra.

It sounds to me like you just want to bash American cars.
    +100, well said

Where is the evidence to back up that ANY of those Evo's were done cheaper than the Vette's? Or should we just take your word for it
    And I also thought we were talking about STi's
    Last edited by Kush; 05-20-2006 at 12:36 PM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Is the Evo teh fast0rr!!!!1111 now?
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66
    If there was anything domestic that could touch an Evo or STi for the same price I would be a fan of that too.

Especially if it wouldn't fall apart at 50K miles like most domestics. Here is a direct quote from consumer reports: Of the 31 cars that earned the top rating, only two were from U.S.-based manufacturers -- the remaining 29 vehicles were from Japanese automakers..

It isn't pretty for the domestics. Most reliable small cars: Toyota, Honda, Subaru. Most reliable small SUVs: Toyota, Honda, Mitsu, Subaru. Most reliable pickups: Honda, Toyota. Most reliable sedans: Lexus, infiniti, Honda, Toyota.

I'm a fan of results. If the domestics start to produce results, I will consider them. Make me something to compete with the STI or Evo, make it *reliable*, make it affordable, and I'll consider buying it. Until then...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.