cobb stage 2 TR vs. 03 Evo 8?

This is a discussion on cobb stage 2 TR vs. 03 Evo 8? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What would the results be between a stock evo 8 and a cobb stage 2 06 TR? Stock TR?...

cobb stage 2 TR vs. 03 Evo 8?

What would the results be between a stock evo 8 and a cobb stage 2 06 TR? Stock TR?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

me thinks the 06 stage 2 from a dig...

drivers race

from higher speeds me thinks the evo will pull

agreed, definitely a driver's race
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

A stage 2 '06 WRX, while it has an amazing torque curve, still made just a hair over 220awhp on Cobb's Mustang dyno. Most stock Evo VIII's make 230+ on similar dynos and the Evo IX's make ~15-20whp more.

From a dig, definitely a driver's race as the Stage 2 TR's strong torque will keep it in the mix. From a roll, the Evo will own you!

Best thing to do is go straight to Cobb's Stage 3 - VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP and TBE. You'll be making around 270whp, and can then go EVO & SRT-4 hunting!!!!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

I wasn't aware cobb had a stage 3. very cool. Thanks for the input guys. About how much does stage 3 cost?

Quote Originally Posted by DTFH3030
    I wasn't aware cobb had a stage 3. very cool. Thanks for the input guys. About how much does stage 3 cost?
    Once you have an AP, there's no additional cost from Cobb as you can download the stage 3 VF39 Map from there site.

Basically, you can source all of the parts on your own - used low mileage VF39 ($350-$400) & used STI TMIC ($300-$350).

If you're currently running a stage 2 Map in your car, then you should already have a TBE.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    Once you have an AP, there's no additional cost from Cobb as you can download the stage 3 VF39 Map from there site.

Basically, you can source all of the parts on your own - used low mileage VF39 ($350-$400) & used STI TMIC ($300-$350).

If you're currently running a stage 2 Map in your car, then you should already have a TBE.
    does the vf39 just bolt right up? is the instalation difficult? where do u get a vf39? is cobb's AP detectable by subaru mechanics if you take it out?

You are talking about doing a turbo swap but you are worried about a mechanic knowing you have AP?

Yes it is a direct bolt on. No it isn't difficult (in the same ballpark as replacing the exhaust). Best bet would to be to look around boards, ebay, and the such for a used one. If you are shelling out the cash for a new one you might was well get the 18g IMO.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    You are talking about doing a turbo swap but you are worried about a mechanic knowing you have AP?

Yes it is a direct bolt on. No it isn't difficult (in the same ballpark as replacing the exhaust). Best bet would to be to look around boards, ebay, and the such for a used one. If you are shelling out the cash for a new one you might was well get the 18g IMO.
    I'm not worried, just asking a question. So do all the vaccuum lines go in the same spot?

So do all the vaccuum lines go in the same spot?
    Just you in case you missed this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    Yes it is a direct bolt on.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 04-09-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

They didnt come out with their stage three map did they?? wtf. i gotta check. Im guessing u mean the 2.5 map. But i will check...
    My money pit

Cobb has 18g map for the 06 WRX as well.

does the vf39 just bolt right up? is the instalation difficult? where do u get a vf39? is cobb's AP detectable by subaru mechanics if you take it out?
    So will they know you've ran the AP if you take it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    . From a roll, the Evo will own you!
    OK, someone needs to spool me up as far as 'from a roll' is concerned. I've been playing around with my STi for a few weeks and I've come to the conclusion:
    depending on what gear I'm in, as long as I'm hovering between 3750 anf 4K rpm (no matter what gear I'm in, there is pretty much no lag. I've had it in 4th at 4K (which is about 50-55mph and if I stomp it, my ass is pushed back in the seat. I don't understand why our Subies are suffering from a roll. Just pick the speed where your boost kicks in and start from that speed.))
    If an SRT-4 challenges me, it's either going to be from the speed I pick or from a dig, otherwise the SRT4 owner can go eat a big 'un.
    As far as Evos are concerned, I can't ##$%$ wait until I get my Z finished. I like Evos and Mitsu did a good job with them, but (that's about the only thing Mitsu deserves a pat on the back for) I'll be hard pressed to not go find some Evos to pick on (400whp in a 2500lb car (1st gen Datsun 240Zs weigh 2450lbs) is a force to be reckoned with). Roll, or from a dig.
    Last edited by mike05STi; 04-13-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan