MSP 3 viable option or just another SRT-4?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on MSP 3 viable option or just another SRT-4? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; at first, because it has FWD and 280lb-ft of torque, i thought of it as the new SRT-4..... then i ...

MSP 3 viable option or just another SRT-4?

at first, because it has FWD and 280lb-ft of torque, i thought of it as the new SRT-4.....

then i thought of what would make it different from the SRT-4, and all of a sudden the differences started separating the two cars more than i thought.

too bad it's FWD. damn. my hp limit for FWD is 200. but it's better than a SRT-4. discuss.
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 06-20-2006 at 09:18 AM.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I drive a Mazdaspeed Protege and I'd rather have that than an SRT-4. Not because it's bad, but it's just more my style.

That being said, I think the MS3 will be a great car that many will avoid because of the lack of AWD. I won't buy it particularly for that reason. High hp FWD cars don't make a lot of sense, regardless of how well they handle and how good the chassis dynamics are. You can only hide so much. At least it has a limited slip.

If they made the MS3 in AWD, I'd be on it in a second.

The performance of the MS3 and the SRT may be similar, but as you mentioned, the SRT is a stripped bucket. The MS3 will be much nicer.

Too bad they didn't go AWD, as it could have been a real contender against a WRX.

^^ agreed on everything, especially the FWD part. man, did Subaru dodge a huge bullet...looks like the WRX is still the best $25K car.

still though, how much would a Haldex system cost? an extra $2K per car? at least make it an option.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    ^^ agreed on everything, especially the FWD part. man, did Subaru dodge a huge bullet...looks like the WRX is still the best $25K car.

still though, how much would a Haldex system cost? an extra $2K per car? at least make it an option.
    Especially considering the chassis can accomodate awd a'la Volvo S40. It's the same platform, for Christ's sake!

Hell, they could probably grab the system the Volvo uses and implement it with minimal changes.

Hmmm. That'd make a damned interesting project. Buy a MS3 and port over the AWD system from the S40.....

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Especially considering the chassis can accomodate awd a'la Volvo S40. It's the same platform, for Christ's sake!

Hell, they could probably grab the system the Volvo uses and implement it with minimal changes.

Hmmm. That'd make a damned interesting project. Buy a MS3 and port over the AWD system from the S40.....
    On 2nd thought...what's the S40's engine layout in AWD configuration? Transverse? Longitudinal? Might be a bit of a challenge...

i believe it's a transversely mounted 5 cylinder, but that could be the S60.

there's a really obvious reason for sticking with FWD: it would shred apart MSP 6 sales. better performance, just as luxurious, just as practical, and cheaper. the 'Speed 6 only trump card is AWD

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    there's a really obvious reason for sticking with FWD: it would shred apart MSP 6 sales. better performance, just as luxurious, just as practical, and cheaper. the 'Speed 6 only trump card is AWD
    Yep, totally. Since it's got basically the same engine, I'd have been happy with 230hp and AWD, giving it some hp distance from the 6. That's what the aftermarket is for anyways....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.