Subaru WRX Forum banner

370z vs wrx.. disappointment?

48K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  Camaromjr 
#1 ·
What's up everyone! New member but I've been lurking around for some time.

So For the past year I've considered selling my Z, and the wrx is one the cars that's appealed to me the most. But I recently test drove one yesterday and in all honesty it felt incredibly slow in comparison to my 370z with no engine mods. I know I have more power but it felt like a significant difference so I'm a little bummed out. I've done some research on stage 1 tunes and I've seen a lot of people say to just leave it stock due to reliability issues?..

It might sound dumb, but I've mainly wanted a bigger car for my dog (and I'm a little bored of the 370 after 7 years lol). Parking is an issue so i can't have 2 cars. The wrx being a sport sedan really appealed to me especially with the AWD..but I'm so used to the linear power and handling of my car that I couldn't help but feel a little bummed after the test drive. My biggest gripe with the Z is I wish it had back seats and it weighs like a boat for it just being a 2 seater.

STI/golf R is out of my price range, GTI is FWD (meh) and I'm not a fan of ford styling.
Any thoughts on other cars? OR.. just pull the trigger on the wrx.. lighter wheels and tune?

Any and all responses are very much welcome and appreciated thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
The 370Z has seriously more horsepower--about 70 more--than the WRX, at about the same weight. Plus as you say more linear acceleration.

I'm not surprised the WRX would seem slower...

However, IMO the WRX is fast enough and sporty in its own way. And WAY more practical. Especially with AWD.

Just go for it. Your dog will thank you...

#4 ·
The WRX is not a fast car, it's quicker than average, but not fast. It's a perfect 6spd "dad car" for me, but I don't drive around looking for the next car to hunt down. I drove the Performance Pack GTI w/DSG and was not very excited about it either, FWD and it did not have the pull I had hoped.

It's all in what you're after, I'd be looking for an M3, Scat Pack Charger, CTS-V, etc. if I wanted a "fast" sedan, not a WRX. From the rave reviews I hear, a tune should cure some of the concerns and provide a bump in power, the 4,000rpm power drop annoys me more than anything. I am going to burn some more of my warranty off before going for the tune.

#5 ·
Two completely different animals. The WRX to me at least, feels faster than it actually is. I don't think it is a fast car a per say but overall I find it to be an extremely capable machine for daily duties. I love it. BTW I also drive a 350 hp plus RWD car and the WRX doesn't feel slow at all in comparison. As far as tuning, if you want to stay with basic stage 1 tunes, you should be ok. I have seen them dip into 12's @ 104-105 mph with a good stage 1 tune. Pushing more than 350 wheel torque/hp and north 21 PSI can result in rod failure.

Keep it reasonable and you can even built them to be very capable at the track. Here is a great example. His modifications are listed in the video:

#9 ·
I came from a G37 and I know what you mean. The linear power is amazing on that car. The WRX stock tune is close to awful. I find the WRX FEELS slower than it actually is. The butt dyno disappoints. I'll take the handling of the WRX any day though. The smiles per mile aren't quite there...YET.

That is weird you say that. I feel the opposite. I drove the GTI/ST/WRX (similar power/weight) and the WRX feels faster than the other two. Feels as quick to me as the 335Xi...

Even some magazine reviews seem to mention this. Maybe the 2017 models have a more linear tuning, who knows:

"Performance, as before, is impressive. The new direct-injected 2.0-liter turbocharged flat-4 produces 268 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, with a flat torque curve and a deluge of midrange punch that at first surprises and then quickly becomes addictive. This is a car that feels even faster than it is, and certainly faster than the rival hot hatches from Ford and VW."

https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/wrx/2015/road-test-2/

#7 ·
I went from a 2008 350z 6mt touring to a 2013 WRX, a few years ago. Yes, the WRX was slower (even slower in that gen), but it was much more fun to drive than my Z. As you said, the Z felt very heavy. It didn't take but a tune and an intake in order for the WRX to feel as fast and torquey as the Z in a straight line. Not only that, but I could drive the car all year long.

Why not look into a Focus ST or a GTI? I know they're front wheel drive, but who cares if they're still a blast to drive. Going fast is overrated, to an extent, if you're not having fun or able to use the car. I would even hold out to see what the new Civic Si offers.

#10 ·
The newer WRX has a super flat torque curve so you don't get that burst of torque you traditionally expect with a turbo vehicle. It's getting more and more common with variable valve timing and lift that torque curves can be at or near peak for the majority of the rpm range.

The WRX stands with or out performs everything in its class, none of them are going to win you any land speed records

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
If acceleration is important to you then I wouldn't get the wrx. Unless you are launching it the car has 0 ability to put you in your seat. Your gonna spend a whole bunch of money on a brand new car while losing your warranty just to get to a point where your 370z would still drag it's ass.

#13 ·
I came from a 2004 350Z and even they can outrun the brand new WRX much less the 370Z with more horsepower. But for what the WRX lacks in brute force it makes up for in practicality. I hated not having back seats in my Z and the ground clearance would destroy underneath it even though it was at stock height. The WRX is plenty fast for me. Even the Fiesta ST with 190ish hp is plenty fast for me. I try not to get stuck on the power numbers as the only decision in getting a car. A Fiesta ST was so much fun and it's dwarfed by both the WRX and the 370Z in power, so I would get what is more practical and still fun. Unless you're a street racer, 9/10 you won't be using no more that 130 of those horses in daily driving.

#14 ·
Maybe this won't impress you but...

I drove from Omaha to Minneapolis to help my son empty out a storage unit, since he's moved to Denver. 6 straight hours of driving each way. The WRX was extremely comfortable, even with the cloth seats. Acceleration in every highway situation was excellent.

I know from experience that driving a super-responsive sporty car for long distances can be extremely tiring, but the WRX was not tiring in the least. Unfortunately there are some EXTREMELY noisy stretches of highway on I-80 that are super annoying in any car I have driven.

The cool part is this: I was able to load up all his crap, uh, I mean stuff, including a 3x2x2' storage locker (in the trunk), 2 20-gallon tubs full of books, 4 small U-haul book boxes, a backpack and a small duffel bag, and a large duffel bag filled with clothes. And my son came as a passenger in the front seat.

(Well, while theoretically it is cool, I do have to hold his stuff for a couple of weeks until I can get it to him in Denver...)

Try doing that in your 370Z or Mustang or Camaro.

Reactions: HambrgrLipz
#17 ·
sorry for the lack of responses everyone, I've had a pretty hectic week but i do appreciate all the responses.
I haven't taken the WRX out of the equation, Its just such a good all around car that every time I go see something else I inevitably revert back to the WRX. Whats interesting is that I actually don't find my 370z all that much fun. Its heavy and you can feel it, its fast but you won't use most of the power before running out of space, and it lacks any practicality. I had more fun in my old miata, 240, even some hondas I've had lol. they weren't fast and I don't expect the WRX to feel as fast as the 370z, I'm sure id be more than happy if not happier with it than my Z. It'll just take some getting used to. I would actually be more interested in a few suspension mods to have it handle even better. I think that always makes for a much more fun experience than more hp.

#18 ·
I think the wrx's are a great daily. A stage 1 map from the cobb accessport and it really helps a lot to liven the car up. No other mods needed. Of course you run the risk of a warranty claim being denied by modifying or tuning the car, but doing so does not void your warranty. I have seen cars that are modified decently get approved for a warranty claim, and then I have seen people with just an intake and a stage 1 map get denied. It really just depends on the dealer.

I am also a fan of the 370z. I actually test drove one before buying my last wrx. Chose the wrx for the space it had in comparison, and because they are fun. Most people that own these cars end up modifying them, and they can be fast. Off the lot fast? Nope. But quicker than other comparable sports sedans. You have to realize what you are buying when you buy a wrx. Some people buy them expecting them to throw them in their seat and go out and beat anything on the road. That is not what they are made for.

I know you said that you don't really have the budget for an STi. But an STi is a decent jump in performance over the wrx. My last wrx had a decent amount of mods and a protune, making 315whp and 337wtrq to the wheels. If was fast and fun. But my STi only has a turbo back exhaust and a stage 2 tune from the cobb accessport and feels just as fast as my wrx did after all the work.

Try looking for a used STi, I have seen some 15+ STi's for sale for anywhere from 28k-34k. Which is around the same price for a new wrx depending on what model you get. (limited, premium, sports package, etc) Take a look at buying used. I found my 2012 STi limited sedan last june with only one owner, 30k miles, and bone stock. Just an idea.

#20 ·
Some people argue that the jump in price on the STi isn't worth it. I beg to differ. Even a base STi has a few huge advantages over the wrx. For example the STi comes with brembo brakes, Si drive, DCCD, a stronger rear end, a much stronger gearbox and clutch, and has a lot stiffer mounts and bushings. Just buying a brembo brake kit and building a transmission for a wrx and you will be spending more than the extra premium for an STi.

Some other people dog on the old EJ257 engine used in the STi. I agree that it is a dated engine, but it is a tried and true engine that makes good power for a 2.5L 4 cylinder. Plus has an unlimited amount of aftermarket support.

Go test drive an STi if you haven't already. Flick the little knob over to S# and see what you think.

#21 ·
I've tired! I live in the LA county area and some dealerships I've tested around here won't let you test drive the STI. They say most new owners want it with 0 miles so they try keeping them with little to no miles. So unfortunately I haven had the opportunity. They give me a wrx and say "picture it with more power"..... riiigght. Lol

#23 ·
A new STI might not be as expensive as you think, with the mid cycle refresh moving in soon. The dealership I went to this weekend had three STI's sitting on their lot. Two of the three were unmoved from when I was there a week ago.

Hell, even I ordered mine at $34,500 with the short throw shifter option in January, 2015. (Short throw is a waste of $500, with better aftermarket shifters costing half of that.)

#24 ·
This may turn into a WRX or STI thread lol. I suppose I could afford it, but it was more than I wanted to pay. Im hoping to get around 17k for my Z and just paying the rest of the subi off.

I'm actually at a Subaru dealership right now lol

#26 ·
Test drove an STI and I loved it! I think it's a great blend between my Z and a practical car! Then again I could be high on the STI experience right now lol. A little pricey, the car was the base model and was quoting me 41,560 OTD fees included.. but not including the finance rate so I'm sure It would go up..

#28 ·
Did you put it in S# and have some fun? lol I can relate to the experience. I have been driving subarus for over 10 years now. With one impreza, and 3 wrx's before finally getting my STi, I know the feeling of finally getting behind the wheel of one.

#27 ·
#30 ·
No not at all, I would definitely consider used. I just wanted to get an idea of what I would really end up paying if I bought a new STI and it made it pretty clear that I'd be more than happy getting used lol. I live in The Los Angeles area, cheapest I've seen used around me is $28k with 29k miles.

#33 ·
Wrx is definitely still an option. I think after seeing all the prices I'd just get one used, I saw one with 30k miles going for 17k. If I sell my Z it would almost be a direct trade so financially it would be perfect.... but.. I really liked the STI lol. I could just be high off of the test drive. I was on that mpg mode and the guy switched over to I want this car mode lol.

#31 ·
The only problem with used is your spinning the roulette wheel as to whether the prior owner: a) Took care of the car; and b) Didn't tune the car.

Living in LA, you should test drive a Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. They both handle on par with the WRX and offer a much more enjoyable overall driving experience. So, unless you need the AWD, do yourself a favor and give them a try. No regrets, right?

My $0.02.

#32 ·
Buying new is just as much a crap shoot. Pattern failures on new cars are common and often times never resolved. Jeeps and transmissions, Subarus and blown pistons, Volkswagen and fire issues.

Even under warranty recurring problems completely destroy enjoyment of a vehicle. Another member here is going through just this situation with his sti. A long standing steering issue that they are unable to resolve slowly sucking all enjoyment he has of his new sti.

Whatever you buy be sure you have a well rounded idea of what you are getting into, what problems they have, and if you can cope with said problems when they finally happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Just my .02 buying used I'd buy from a Subaru dealer or Carmax--a little bit more insurance it hasn't been abused. (At the local dealership where I bought my WRX the sales manager and 2 or 3 of the sales guys all drive WRX's.) I got my 2012 used at Carmax, 15k miles on it, absolutely unblemished.

Again, just my opinion but looking new vs used I would have a hard time paying over $30 for a used WRX or STI. If I spend that much I want everything shiny and unbroken-in.

New STI's RARELY show up in Omaha. The dealers often have 1 or 2 used ones in excellent condition, but not much of a price break. OTOH, when I've looked in the last year there were always 8-10 new WRX's on the lots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.